Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. BioShock Infinite
  2. Defiance
  3. Age of Empires II: HD Editions
  4. Torchlight II
  5. Arma III
  6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  7. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  8. Kerbal Space Program
  9. Dead Island Riptide
  10. Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 18:01 NewMaxx

Jerykk wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 17:11:
BI isn't the greatest game of all time and it isn't even that good of a shooter, but the game is greater than the sum of its parts. The characters, the story, the amount of detail they put into the environments, the interesting ways you can combo your powers (though only really necessary in 1999 mode)... it all results in a very unique and memorable experience. I think it deserves to sit at the top of the Steam list for now.

Well said, I agree. It's not the pinnacle of gaming, but it does satisfy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 17:51 ASeven

Apparently, the pirate version of AoE2HD has been fixed of some game-breaking bugs that the original game has.

"Some users of our release approached us with what they believed to be a crack issue. The game would crash on certain setups during the first Age of Kings campaign, upon finding the second relic. This is in fact a game bug that can be reproduced on the original version of the game as well. Because we like this game, we've patched the problem away and present you with this game-related fix. The publisher is allowed to use this fix in their next update provided they remove DRM Wink "

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 17:17 Overon

For me bioshock infinite plot is a masterpiece of writing. Everything in the game is so chalk full of meaning which the designers actually intended and you don't have to read into it to discover it.  

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 17:11 Jerykk

BI isn't the greatest game of all time and it isn't even that good of a shooter, but the game is greater than the sum of its parts. The characters, the story, the amount of detail they put into the environments, the interesting ways you can combo your powers (though only really necessary in 1999 mode)... it all results in a very unique and memorable experience. I think it deserves to sit at the top of the Steam list for now.  

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 16:16 Dev

Kerbal... fine, I broke down and got it.

After watching videos like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9lCOTfTQVk
(someone's attempt to make a space shuttle style vehicle)

I pretty much had to get it. Even though its not on sale.

Its great to see so many non AAA type titles on the list.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 16:00 eRe4s3r

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 15:24:
I love AOE, but WHY! it's so damn expensive!

Well, if it was the original AOE then I'd be all over it too I suppose... prefer AOE3 to AOE2, and AOE ROR is king. Spent so many hours generating/making maps to play.

Yeah, Aoe2 did not age well. A HD remake with pretty graphics (but terrible effects and animations) does not make it a good game. For me, Rise of Nations was far superior... ;p

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 15:37 Talutha

NewMaxx wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 15:17:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 14:49:
in terms of choices (which never pan out)

Secret text below, avoid if you haven't finished the game =).

The choices never pan out because no matter what Booker's choices are, the same conclusion always happens. This is shown early on with the brother and sister scene when the coin always lands on heads. The chalkboard shows all of Booker's coin flips throughout the dimensions.

You can see another example right at the end of the game where you are given the illusion of choice in the plank section. It doesn't matter the choice, the outcome is always the same.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 15:35 netnerd85

nin wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 15:32:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 14:43:
Shocking.
Shocking how much hype there is about this mediocre game. As with Bioshock a few years ago, the one-eyed is king amongst the blind. Its a sad fact, that a mediocre (not bad, but not THAT good) shooter like Bioshock is indeed the pinnacle of the shooter genre in our days.

Wow - did it kick your dog too?

He has a point though Trent

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 15:32 nin

Shocking.
Shocking how much hype there is about this mediocre game. As with Bioshock a few years ago, the one-eyed is king amongst the blind. Its a sad fact, that a mediocre (not bad, but not THAT good) shooter like Bioshock is indeed the pinnacle of the shooter genre in our days.

Wow - did it kick your dog too?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 15:24 netnerd85

I love AOE, but WHY! it's so damn expensive!

Well, if it was the original AOE then I'd be all over it too I suppose... prefer AOE3 to AOE2, and AOE ROR is king. Spent so many hours generating/making maps to play.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 15:17 NewMaxx

Shocking.

I'd go so far as to call it a good game, perhaps even one of the best games of the year, but it is by no means a great game of the genre. It has too many flaws and shortcomings that other genre titles overcome nicely. Furthermore, I don't think it lives up to its potential, although it is still an enjoyable game in its own right.

For example, Tomb Raider has better action and inter-combat puzzles and exploration. Fallout: New Vegas and Borderlands 2 both do scavenging much better, and the former has better customization. It does have a compelling story, and really the game is better than the sum of its parts, but they really could have pushed the envelope and made an amazing title if they were really to take more risks.

The fact the game was rushed is obvious in that the first portion is superior to the latter parts, in terms of choices (which never pan out) and the original trailers and videos (which had even better ambience and immersion). The first factor would have made sense given that replay is one of their goals, based on the limitations of weapons and vigors. The second is more difficult to overcome because they were overly ambitious with the whole "tear" concept, and it ended extremely watered-down.

All in all, then, I have to agree that it is overrated and over-hyped. I enjoyed the game a lot and even preferred it to BioShock 1 and 2 (both of which were buggy ports that did no true justice to System Shock, in my opinion, while keeping some of the latter's annoyances such as respawns). Yet there is so much missing, like stealth mechanics, that you really end up with a by-the-book rail shooter in so many ways that it has to be nothing but a disappointment.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2013, 15:24.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 15:11 jdreyer

Skyrim is the freakin' Energizer Bunny of PC games.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 14:49 Kajetan

Shocking.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 14:43 Jivaro

Shocking.  

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo