Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. BioShock Infinite
  2. Defiance
  3. Age of Empires II: HD Editions
  4. Torchlight II
  5. Arma III
  6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  7. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  8. Kerbal Space Program
  9. Dead Island Riptide
  10. Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 8, 2013, 01:13 Jerykk

yuastnav wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 19:00:
Redmask wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 18:02:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 14:49:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 14:43:
Shocking.
Shocking how much hype there is about this mediocre game. As with Bioshock a few years ago, the one-eyed is king amongst the blind. Its a sad fact, that a mediocre (not bad, but not THAT good) shooter like Bioshock is indeed the pinnacle of the shooter genre in our days.

Bioshock Infinite isn't really a pure shooter though, it is one of those genre bending games that make traditional comparisons like yours meaningless. To call this game mediocre because the shooting isn't like Quake or something is just wrong. Unlike most games which forget that the gameplay is supposed to be in service to something, Bioshock Infinite propels you through a very compelling story with fantastic characters.

The gameplay on its own is slightly above average but as a total package the game delivers and that's what matters in the end.

But it is a shooter and if the shooting doesn't feel good then it ultimately fails in that respect.
Again, I have not played the game, I just read about it and I watched TotalBiscuit's WTF where he talks a lot about the shooting and just watching the video made me not want to play the game.
About whether the world is beautifully designed or not I do not care much since these things do not interest me, I am not someone who can appreciate visual art that well. So what would interest me would be other things and shooting is definitely one of them and watching that video made me want to play something like Painkiller because this is a game that has really good shooting.
Genre bending or not, it is still, even partly, a shooter and if everything is absolutely fantastic except the shooting then it's not an absolutely fantastic game.

The special powers are the focus of the game, not the guns. TB complains about the lack of ammo types but again, that's what the powers are for. Different powers are more effective against different types of enemies, fulfilling the same role as specialized ammo. He also complains about not having enough salt (basically mana) when going into fights but that's the result of him wasting it to get a few coins from vending machines. The game is pretty generous with the salt potions so if you explore enough, you should almost always go into fights with full (or nearly full) salt.

I think one of the big issues it that most people are playing on Normal difficulty, which is basically a joke. Since the enemies don't really pose much threat to you, it's easy to just run around and rely on your guns all the time, which only helps expose the shortcomings of the gunplay. On the highest difficulty (1999 Mode), you have to use your powers often, resulting in a much deeper understanding of how they work and how to best use them against enemies. This is what makes the combat interesting and what promotes experimentation and creativity during battle.

If you're judging BI's combat based solely on the gunplay, you're missing the primary focus of it.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2013, 01:20.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 23:05 mag

Overon wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 21:59:
*Minor spoiler* The gist of the plot is what is called "the many world interpretation of quantum mechanics." It's not exactly fantasy rubbish. Additionally there is meaning in almost everything in the game which supports the plot and this is what sets it apart from other games.

The MWI is totally fantasy rubbish. It doesn't deserve to be taught as physics.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 21:59 Overon

*Minor spoiler* The gist of the plot is what is called "the many world interpretation of quantum mechanics." It's not exactly fantasy rubbish. Additionally there is meaning in almost everything in the game which supports the plot and this is what sets it apart from other games.  

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 21:44 Verno

Redmask wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 21:32:
You're excused. Games are not all created equal and no, not everything is in service to the gameplay in every game. Bioshock Infinite marries solid gameplay and a great story, there is nothing wrong with one or the other taking precedence. Besides the shooting is above average in my opinion, not mediocre or terrible.

Yeah I thought BI was a pretty fun game on Hard difficulty, the sections with skyrails in particular were a blast. It's not really a traditional FPS game anyway, its got a much slower pace and how you to choose to play it in terms of style will greatly affect your enjoyment of it. I could see people who are used to crazy fast paced FPS games wouldn't care for the game, it's not for everyone.

How's that Defiance game anyway, anyone check it out yet?

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 21:32 Redmask

Squirmer wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 18:53:
Unlike most games which forget that the gameplay is supposed to be in service to something,

Excuse me? It's a game. Everything should be in service of the gameplay. Everything.

You're excused. Games are not all created equal and no, not everything is in service to the gameplay in every game. Bioshock Infinite marries solid gameplay and a great story, there is nothing wrong with one or the other taking precedence. Besides the shooting is above average in my opinion, not mediocre or terrible.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:46 siapnar

Glad to see Chivalry up there. The combat is fantastic.

The maps could use some work, though. Some of them scream amateur.

I have projectile dysfunction.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:46 nin

Cram wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 20:37:
Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 20:12:
If the whiners that frequent this site give it mediocre reviews then it must be a really good game.

It is.

To the comment made that after reading about the plot and not being impressed, in this particular case reading the story and experiencing the story of Bioshock Infinite are two completely different things. That's my take on it, anyway. Discovering how it all fits together, on your own, is an experience all to it self.

I finished it Friday night. And while I think I liked the story of the original Bioshock better (and maybe that's rose tinted glasses), Infinite was definitely the most memorable game I've played in awhile (atmosphere wise, maybe since the original Bio), and easily the best thing I've played so far this year...

It's not perfect, but it was enjoyable. I'm curious how the DLC will fit in.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:39 killer_roach

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 20:32:
I finally got a Kerbal into space...unfortunately for him I didn't plan very well past the "get into space part" so he's on a .....very long journey right now. Very very long.

"I know a boy who couldn't stand the ground
And always he was skyward bound
The saddest thing is he's up there now
But all he says is he wants to come down"
- from Phideaux's song "Kiteman"

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:37 Cram

Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 20:12:
If the whiners that frequent this site give it mediocre reviews then it must be a really good game.

It is.

To the comment made that after reading about the plot and not being impressed, in this particular case reading the story and experiencing the story of Bioshock Infinite are two completely different things. That's my take on it, anyway. Discovering how it all fits together, on your own, is an experience all to it self.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:32 NegaDeath

I finally got a Kerbal into space...unfortunately for him I didn't plan very well past the "get into space part" so he's on a .....very long journey right now. Very very long.  

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:12 Fibrocyte

Welp, it seems I need to buy Bioshock Infinite. If the whiners that frequent this site give it mediocre reviews then it must be a really good game.  

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:10 Fibrocyte

Overon wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 17:17:
For me bioshock infinite plot is a masterpiece of writing. Everything in the game is so chalk full of meaning which the designers actually intended and you don't have to read into it to discover it.

"chock", not "chalk". <3

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:05 yuastnav

I've actually been trying to make a plane that I can launch from the landing field, which then flies to another planet and gets back so it can land again.
I have not succeeded, unfortunately.
The problem is that I cannot even get it off the planet which is pretty frustrating but because the tank actually requires oxygen the thing is too heavy to leave the atmosphere or even get above the 10 km mark.
Has someone even been successful in such an endeavour?

I thought about making a vtol but I wasn't able to make one yet.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 20:02 Dacron

Dev wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 16:16:
Kerbal... fine, I broke down and got it.

After watching videos like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9lCOTfTQVk
(someone's attempt to make a space shuttle style vehicle)

I pretty much had to get it. Even though its not on sale.

Its great to see so many non AAA type titles on the list.

Great fun, can be really frustrating, but building something and putting it on another planet is hugely rewarding.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 19:58 killer_roach

Squirmer wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 19:01:
This is the same thing people said to defend the 'twist' in Bioshock 1, where you were ridiculed for being manipulated even though you had no other choice. Except to stop playing.

Levine and co must be laughing their asses off watching people defend their poor game design because "that's the point of the story!!"

Basically Levine is screwing with people who are wound a bit too tightly. People like you, for instance.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 19:01 Squirmer

Talutha wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 15:37:
NewMaxx wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 15:17:
in terms of choices (which never pan out)

Secret text below, avoid if you haven't finished the game =).

The choices never pan out because no matter what Booker's choices are, the same conclusion always happens. This is shown early on with the brother and sister scene when the coin always lands on heads. The chalkboard shows all of Booker's coin flips throughout the dimensions.

You can see another example right at the end of the game where you are given the illusion of choice in the plank section. It doesn't matter the choice, the outcome is always the same.

This is the same thing people said to defend the 'twist' in Bioshock 1, where you were ridiculed for being manipulated even though you had no other choice. Except to stop playing.

Levine and co must be laughing their asses off watching people defend their poor game design because "that's the point of the story!!"

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 19:00 yuastnav

Shocking.
Shocking how much hype there is about this mediocre game. As with Bioshock a few years ago, the one-eyed is king amongst the blind. Its a sad fact, that a mediocre (not bad, but not THAT good) shooter like Bioshock is indeed the pinnacle of the shooter genre in our days.

Bioshock Infinite isn't really a pure shooter though, it is one of those genre bending games that make traditional comparisons like yours meaningless. To call this game mediocre because the shooting isn't like Quake or something is just wrong. Unlike most games which forget that the gameplay is supposed to be in service to something, Bioshock Infinite propels you through a very compelling story with fantastic characters.

The gameplay on its own is slightly above average but as a total package the game delivers and that's what matters in the end.

But it is a shooter and if the shooting doesn't feel good then it ultimately fails in that respect.
Again, I have not played the game, I just read about it and I watched TotalBiscuit's WTF where he talks a lot about the shooting and just watching the video made me not want to play the game.
About whether the world is beautifully designed or not I do not care much since these things do not interest me, I am not someone who can appreciate visual art that well. So what would interest me would be other things and shooting is definitely one of them and watching that video made me want to play something like Painkiller because this is a game that has really good shooting.
Genre bending or not, it is still, even partly, a shooter and if everything is absolutely fantastic except the shooting then it's not an absolutely fantastic game.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 18:53 Squirmer

Unlike most games which forget that the gameplay is supposed to be in service to something,

Excuse me? It's a game. Everything should be in service of the gameplay. Everything.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 18:53 yuastnav

Overon wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 17:17:
For me bioshock infinite plot is a masterpiece of writing. Everything in the game is so chalk full of meaning which the designers actually intended and you don't have to read into it to discover it.

This is the one thing I am curious about. I did not play the game but I read (about) the plot because I was curious since everyone praised it so much and I wasn't impressed actually.
The plot is above average, especially for a shooter, but it's actually not that great and deals with the same fantasy rubbish as other plots of that genre. :/
I am talking, of course, about the overall plot synopsis, i.e. the gist of the story. I have no idea about how the characters interact with each other.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2013, 18:02 Redmask

Shocking.

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo