Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No One Knows Who Owns NOLF

A post on One Of Swords has a new episode of One of Swords TV where "Activision community management team of one" Dan Amrich attempts to sort through the sticky issue of who owns the rights to No One Lives Forever, Monolith's spy spoof series, last known to be the property of Vivendi Games after they acquired with the Fox Interactive catalog. Since Vivendi eventually merged with Activision, he seems like the one to ask, and Dan explains that some of the IP they ended up with as a result of that merger has since been sold off, using the example of Leisure Suit Larry, and that many of the games they retained are now being sold on GOG.com, using the example of the King's Quest series. As for NOLF, he says this is something he's asked about himself, going on to explain:

The person that I normally talk to about this stuff does not believe that we currently the rights. They've never seen it, they've never been given the permission to put that stuff on Good Old Games. He said, basically, 'If we had it, I would love to be able to reissue those old games.' So, that leaves the question if Activision no longer has the rights to No One Lives Forever, who does? Monolith was the developer that handled those games, and they are now part of WB. So I thought, maybe at the time when Activision was saying 'we'll keep these, we'll leave these, we'll sell these, whatever,' maybe Monolith stepped up and took their IP back. So I contacted a friend at Monolith... and he doesn't know. Uh, so, unfortunately, all I can definitively say is that at this time I do not believe that Activision has the rights to No One Lives Forever.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

16. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 14:09 Ray Marden

If only they had a department that drafted and verified all the wording in agreements. If only they had the ability to look at old ones to read them and comprehend them...

Talk about a lazy legal department.
This should be a basic job functionality.
Not expecting a new Nolf game anytime soon ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 13:42 Steele Johnson

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 11:48:
Oh come on, there's an easy way to figure this out. Just pretend to announce a new NOLF game and wait to see who sues you.

+1

14. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 13:40 Jedi Master

In other words, these are the games that are worried about because the others are already secure. They know who owns them, there are no questions about the rights. This isn't talk about a new game, this is about making the old ones available again for purchase.  

13. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 13:35 LurkerLito

bhcompy wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 13:31:
Of all the Monolith games to worry about, why NOLF? Why not Shogo? Why not Blood?

Because Shogo and Blood are available on GoG. NOLF is available nowhere legally

12. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 13:31 bhcompy

Of all the Monolith games to worry about, why NOLF? Why not Shogo? Why not Blood?  

11. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 13:29 Cutter

NOLF was one of my fave games, so yeah I'd be in like Flynn for a new one!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 13:13 Orogogus

Oh come on, there's an easy way to figure this out. Just pretend to announce a new NOLF game and wait to see who sues you.

The risk would be if no one says anything, leaving GOG or whoever to possibly still get sued after the game goes up.

9. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 12:38 Frags4Fun

That's brilliant actually. hehehehee It wouldn't take long.

8. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 12:33 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 12:09:
One would think that whoever owns it would be willing to just sit back and cash the checks from GoG and steam by putting it up there. But for some reason, some companies don't seem to want to make money.

Legal gets scared about doing anything that would open them up to being sued, especially since putting a game up on GOG without authorization could amount to commercial piracy (and open them up to near-unlimited liability).

Then again, it was Legal that botched their sales contracts, which is the reason why nobody knows where the rights are...

7. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 12:30 zombiefan

I think I still own my original discs. Would love to see a NOLF3, although with it out of Monolith's hands, who knows how it would turn out.

Wait. I do. It'd be shit.

6. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 12:23 wtf_man

I OWN IT!!!

... well a box with media in it... and only NOFL2...

But that still counts!

5. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 12:09 Dev

One would think that whoever owns it would be willing to just sit back and cash the checks from GoG and steam by putting it up there. But for some reason, some companies don't seem to want to make money.  

4. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 12:08 Creston

It's a good thing publishers have become such an integral part of gaming. Because as you can see, the minor stuff that they are supposed to do, such as keep track of who owns IP, they absolutely fucking suck at.

Yay publishers!

I still have both games, but they mess up on Win7. They install and play, but cutscenes get really weird. Characters are missing when they are supposed to speak, and then the cutscene won't progress, and you can't skip them. Weirdest bugs I'd ever seen.

Creston

3. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 12:03 Stuart

These were two of the most entertaining games I've ever played. So much fun! What a shame they never continued, maybe some day and hopefully made right.  

2. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 11:57 Rattlehead

There goes any hopes of seeing a GoG release.  

1. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 11:48 TychoCelchuuu

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo