Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No One Knows Who Owns NOLF

A post on One Of Swords has a new episode of One of Swords TV where "Activision community management team of one" Dan Amrich attempts to sort through the sticky issue of who owns the rights to No One Lives Forever, Monolith's spy spoof series, last known to be the property of Vivendi Games after they acquired with the Fox Interactive catalog. Since Vivendi eventually merged with Activision, he seems like the one to ask, and Dan explains that some of the IP they ended up with as a result of that merger has since been sold off, using the example of Leisure Suit Larry, and that many of the games they retained are now being sold on GOG.com, using the example of the King's Quest series. As for NOLF, he says this is something he's asked about himself, going on to explain:

The person that I normally talk to about this stuff does not believe that we currently the rights. They've never seen it, they've never been given the permission to put that stuff on Good Old Games. He said, basically, 'If we had it, I would love to be able to reissue those old games.' So, that leaves the question if Activision no longer has the rights to No One Lives Forever, who does? Monolith was the developer that handled those games, and they are now part of WB. So I thought, maybe at the time when Activision was saying 'we'll keep these, we'll leave these, we'll sell these, whatever,' maybe Monolith stepped up and took their IP back. So I contacted a friend at Monolith... and he doesn't know. Uh, so, unfortunately, all I can definitively say is that at this time I do not believe that Activision has the rights to No One Lives Forever.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 10, 2013, 21:42 Dev

swaaye wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 21:11:
I'd rather have the old school CDs of the original big box release.
Just because you (apparently) have it, you'd like to deprive everyone else of getting it too??

Also, I have plenty of big box retail releases. I much prefer digital. Most boxes nowadays (and for the past decade) have had crap in the box, often as little as a cd and a slip of paper telling you that the manual is on the cd.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 8, 2013, 09:05 Acleacius

FYI, I ended up getting the GotY Edition after my original cd install was having sound issues.

GotY seems to have no trouble installing or running correctly in Win 7. I've only had to add the widescreen patch.

No One Lives Forever: Game of the Year Edition

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

54. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 8, 2013, 03:40 Jerykk

swaaye wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 21:11:
A new NOLF game would be cool but I couldn't care less about GOG being able to sell oldies. I'd rather have the old school CDs of the original big box release. But I imagine GOG would make some nice money off of this series.

I'd rather have a single, fully patched and modern-OS compatible download instead of having to install a game using multiple CDs, find and install the official patches, find and apply the unofficial patches/tweaks necessary to make it work on Windows 7, etc.

53. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 21:11 swaaye

A new NOLF game would be cool but I couldn't care less about GOG being able to sell oldies. I'd rather have the old school CDs of the original big box release. But I imagine GOG would make some nice money off of this series.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2013, 21:20.

52. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 7, 2013, 17:26 Ray Ban

Hellbinder wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 11:56:
and i am sad because that single shot pistol with the exploding bullet is the most awesome gun of all time. fun multilayer played death-match for hours in that game.

That would be the Bacalov Corrector:

"The Bacalov is a special single-shot-single-reload weapon designed to kill an enemy instantly. This baby will rip through anyone, even at extreme range. It is one of the most, if the most powerful weapon in the game. However, it would be suicide to use it against a group of enemies at close quarters since it has a very long and painful reload time. But once done, somebody else will surely face the pain."

www.gamefaqs.com

My favorite gun in MP (besides the spear gun). Good times Happycry

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

51. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 13:47 entr0py

It sounds like Activision definitely acquired the rights in the merger, and the only thing that's uncertain is if they've sold it and to who. I'm sure they'd have a record of selling off an IP, so the story is basically that a guy at Activision can't be bothered to really look.  

50. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 13:42 Dev

jimnms wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 03:41:
If no one steps up and claims ownership, the developers or original publisher should get to decide what to do with them.
But see, that would actually make some sorta sense, which is why its not in the law.

Actually, sometimes that happens if the people who signed the contracts were smart enough to put it in there. Stuff like reverting to the devs if nothing is done with the IP after 10 years or some such. I think thats what happened with psychonauts since that IP finally went back to double fine. Problem is, most people are pretty clueless about things like that, especially at the time they are doing their first games.

49. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 13:17 BicycleRepairMan

I think you really could have done better puns in that headline. Like "No One Knows Where No One Lives Forevers IP Lives Forever."  

48. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 13:15 Jivaro

NOLF 2 is available used on Amazon for 8 bucks and Ebay for 6 bucks right now, as I type this. So yes, it is out there. People just like the goodies GOG provides with releases and the ease of install since they fix all the problems that come with using an old game with a new OS. I bought a copy of NOLF 2 last year for 5 bucks on Amazon because one of my discs had busted.

If I was in the business and had the means I would have redone Outlaws, Shogo, Blood, Xwing vs Tie Fighter, Lords of the Realm, and a few other stellar titles of 'old' that come to mind. My vote for most under-rated game of all time is Freedom Force and I would love to see someone do something with that as well. To see them collecting dust while we get crap like "Syndicate" that isn't a reboot so much as franchise rape is frustrating.

Of course, I suppose there isn't anything to prevent someone from screwing up remakes of those classics I mentioned as well, so I guess I should be careful what I wish for. The recent X-Com and Tomb Raider reboots were done fairly well however, so I guess there is some hope.

47. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 7, 2013, 12:23 HorrorScope

Hellbinder wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 11:56:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 11:07:
I liked them both, but it doesn't bring me sadness in any way they may not be for sale again or there won't be a third. Sure lets make an article so everyone all of a sudden thinks they need this!

Anyone is free to make a game exactly like NOLF, with just changing the name(s). So if there is this real demand, and someone can write a game, go for it.

Prior to this article I have not heard of this swelling game base and their need for NOLF.

This article and statement are a response to people complaining about those games not being on Gog. Not some grand conspiracy theory.

and i am sad because that single shot pistol with the exploding bullet is the most awesome gun of all time. fun multilayer played death-match for hours in that game.

Why don't these people already have their copy? And there is no place to get it if not?

46. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 7, 2013, 11:56 Hellbinder

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 11:07:
I liked them both, but it doesn't bring me sadness in any way they may not be for sale again or there won't be a third. Sure lets make an article so everyone all of a sudden thinks they need this!

Anyone is free to make a game exactly like NOLF, with just changing the name(s). So if there is this real demand, and someone can write a game, go for it.

Prior to this article I have not heard of this swelling game base and their need for NOLF.

This article and statement are a response to people complaining about those games not being on Gog. Not some grand conspiracy theory.

The Whales name is Bob.

45. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 11:51 Hellbinder

I'm pretty sure they were not financial duds.  
The Whales name is Bob.

44. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 11:45 Prez

These are the two best spy games ever made (and two of the best games ever made in their own right), so it's a fucking travesty that no one even knows who owns the damn property. Given that both games were critical successes but financial duds sadly makes a comeback unlikely, but c'mon publishers, have enough respect for gaming history to at least give enough of a shit to figure that much out so the two seminal classic games can be released on GOG for chrissake.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

43. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 11:14 Kristian Joensen

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 11:48:
Oh come on, there's an easy way to figure this out. Just pretend to announce a new NOLF game and wait to see who sues you.

Well that is complicated by the facts that the rights to create new NOLF games and the rights to distribute the two that already exist may belong with different companies and that a company could claim to own it while not actually owning it(see SCO V IBM being followed by SCO V Novell to determine ownership of Unix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_v._Novell)

42. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 7, 2013, 11:07 HorrorScope

41. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 09:11 SS

I've still got the original NOLF discs with the old style gigantic box. I re-installed it a few months back, and damn it shits all over just about every modern shooter that I can think of. I'd buy it again on GOG just to save having to install from cd (Yeah I'm lazy).  

40. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 06:53 Acleacius

Ant wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 02:24:
Acleacius wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 02:05:
No One Lives Forever and Win 7
Cool web site!
Yeah it is, wait till you see the Widescreen! Pimp

As they mentioned my Mirrors is greyed out and unable to activate, maybe it's an Nvidia problem. Anyone with ATI get Mirrors activated?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

39. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 03:41 jimnms

I still have my NOLF 1 CD's, but I sold or traded NOLF2 to a friend, who sold or traded it with someone else. I'd get these on GOG if they were able to get them. If no one steps up and claims ownership, the developers or original publisher should get to decide what to do with them.  

Steam Profile

38. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 02:24 Ant

Acleacius wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 02:05:
Cool web site!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

37. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 7, 2013, 02:05 Acleacius

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo