Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torment Kickstarter Concludes

The Kickstarter for Torment: Tides of Numenera has concluded, showing inXile entertainment has attracted almost $4.2 million in crowdsourced funding for the role-playing game. This is a record for the service, though Star Citizen surpassed $6 million in funding when PayPal donations are included. Word is that in addition to being wealthier, they are also humbled and excited:

We are both humbled and excited that you have given us this opportunity. The team we have assembled is pretty unbelievable and I have full faith that together we will create a true classic. I never stopped working to get Chris Avellone aboard to make sure we had the band back together. But it only got better when we brought on guys like Pat Rothfuss and Kevin Saunders to take the game to new heights. The trick is always to surround ones self with brilliant people and to create an environment in which creativity can flourish.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 06:01 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 03:30:
Okay, backed this although I could not get into Planescape Torment. Too much storytelling in words instead of letting the player actually play it. *sigh* But I though this needed to be backed, because I am hoping against hope that inXile might bribe their way into buying the Baldur's Gate rights. I know, I know... But it's just the hope, you know? Baldur's Gate 3 - The Kickstarter. $5,000,000 almost guaranteed.

Project Eternity basically is Baldur's Gate 3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 03:30 El Pit

Okay, backed this although I could not get into Planescape Torment. Too much storytelling in words instead of letting the player actually play it. *sigh* But I though this needed to be backed, because I am hoping against hope that inXile might bribe their way into buying the Baldur's Gate rights. I know, I know... But it's just the hope, you know? Baldur's Gate 3 - The Kickstarter. $5,000,000 almost guaranteed.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

19. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 01:27 Optional Nickname!

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:42:

I look forward to playing this and Project Eternity, but let's face it... there is NO way this game or PE can ever live up to the hype.

To quote the wisdom of Jacques, Marge Simpson's Bowling Instructor:

"To the most beautiful moment in life, Better than a deed, better than a memory, the moment... of anticipation!"

18. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 01:19 TheEmissary

It isn't the most funded project on Kickstarter as whole but it is for Video games. Last I checked Veronica Mars isn't a game and projects like the Ouya have done more than $4 Million.  

17. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 00:54 Krovven

Ahh that makes more sense. In their comments on the Kickstarter page, they were leaving out the record was limited to the video game category.

Looking forward to Torment, especially now that they have shown us just a taste. Now I really need to finish Planescape Torment before this comes out. I have so many unfinished RPG's.

16. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 00:35 Cutter

I didn't back this on principle, but I'll obviously be picking it up when it arrives, many years from now.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 00:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 00:17:
The word you want is "expectations", not "hype".

meh.

Not sure how else I can say it, but someone else telling me their expectations of the game counts as hype.

For the record my expectations are pretty high for a number of Kickstarters, so don't listen to my hype if I talk about them in another thread.

14. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 00:17 nin

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 00:08:
NewMaxx wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 23:15:
I guess what I'm saying is that you used the word "hype" wrong, because it means publicity, especially through deception, which is kind of the antithesis of Kickstarter (which exists to harness existing desires through openness). Yes, I realize that some people might try to defraud the system through hype, but again inXile has been more than forthcoming and believable. What you probably meant is that these games can't match the quality of the originals...and you may be right there, but that's not a factor of hype.

Obviously there isn't as much traditional promotion on this game or Project Exile when compared to AAA titles. I wonder where you are getting your definition of hype to equate it with deception. Hype CAN exist without being inherently false, hence something "living up to the hype." This is starting to be an argument about the definition of slang terminology, but still.

The word you want is "expectations", not "hype".

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 6, 2013, 00:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

I guess what I'm saying is that you used the word "hype" wrong, because it means publicity, especially through deception, which is kind of the antithesis of Kickstarter (which exists to harness existing desires through openness). Yes, I realize that some people might try to defraud the system through hype, but again inXile has been more than forthcoming and believable. What you probably meant is that these games can't match the quality of the originals...and you may be right there, but that's not a factor of hype.

Obviously there isn't as much traditional promotion on this game or Project Exile when compared to AAA titles. I wonder where you are getting your definition of hype to equate it with deception. Hype CAN exist without being inherently false, hence something "living up to the hype." This is starting to be an argument about the definition of slang terminology, but still.

However the nostalgia related uproar, for the limited fanbase these types of game have, is quite high in my opinion. RPG fans I know keep bringing up this and Project Exile as basically the second coming of Christ. Fan generated promotion/hype is more what I was referring to, as these days most reasonably informed gamers ignore the professionally done promotion in favor of word of mouth or actual reviews.

Since you brought it up, hopefully Torment, Project Eternity and the few other good looking Kickstarters (Planetary Annihilation, Grim Dawn, etc.) exceed the original games; hell I'd expect them to at least avoid the flaws the originals had.

12. About original Torment Apr 6, 2013, 00:07 eRe4s3r

You know what I just randomly noticed because I am replaying it (don't laugh..). Torment may have a great story, but can it be that they ran out of time? Some of the characters you meet are severely under-developed. Pharod and Annah for example. Especially considering that there is even the remnant of a romance (Annah) in the game, but they never do anything with it. I think that is kinda sad, the characters that accompany us should be the most fleshed out part of the story! So I am hoping inXile does this well.. because torment loses some of it's impact by not having really fleshed out characters.

Mhhhh

11. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 23:36 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:14:
The record is for most-funded videogame, not most-funded anything. The Ouya got over $8 million in funding, so they're obviously limiting it to videogame records.

And that watch got more than that.

I'm happy with how this is shaping up. I just how they're not going to make it too complex even for themselves to keep track of everything, because it seems pretty overwhelming on paper.

Creston

10. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 23:34 Dev

What you probably meant is that these games can't match the quality of the originals...and you may be right there, but that's not a factor of hype.
They can make a dang good go of it though And with all this talent, who knows, it might equal or surpass the quality of originals (although probably not the length).

9. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 23:33 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:14:
The record is for most-funded videogame, not most-funded anything. The Ouya got over $8 million in funding, so they're obviously limiting it to videogame records.
And that got trounced by pebble, didn't that hit about $10 mil?

8. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 23:15 NewMaxx

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:42:
I look forward to playing this and Project Eternity, but let's face it... there is NO way this game or PE can ever live up to the hype. :(

What hype? The developers themselves have been open and pretty reasonable with their ideas and goals. Fans have been excited but I see far less nonsense than I do with, say, Halo fans. Additionally, the funding is high for a kickstarter/indie, but it's not even a quarter of a typical game budget these days (and that's non-AAA titles). My gaming friends all gushed about the (now released) expansion for StarCraft II, but scratched their heads when I mentioned inXile. If people think this is hyped than they need to manage their expectations better (that is, they're hyping themselves).

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2013, 23:20.

7. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 22:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

I look forward to playing this and Project Eternity, but let's face it... there is NO way this game or PE can ever live up to the hype.

6. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 22:14 Jerykk

5. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 22:13 jacobvandy

It's the most-funded video game... There have been plenty of other projects that have raised more than $4.5 mil.  

4. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 22:09 Krovven

A record that will be broken in 7 days. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project  

3. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 21:20 Mr. Tact

I've had the privilege of working with a group of people I believed to be brilliant twice in my career. And let me tell you, it trumps loads of money everyday of the week.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Torment Kickstarter Concludes Apr 5, 2013, 21:18 Beelzebud

I'm happy for them, because their hearts seem like they're in the right place. They like making these kinds of RPGs and they like playing playing them.

For too long we've been fed a line of bullshit that said there was no market for a thinking person's RPG. They don't all have to be transformed into first person shooters with RPG window dressing.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo