Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warframe Registers 1M Players

Digital Extremes announces they have enlisted over one million registered players into Warframe less than a fortnight into open beta testing of their free-to-play shooter. Here's word:

April 5, 2013 - London, Ontario - The sci-fi Free-to-Play game WarframeŽ attracted over 1 million players spanning 100+ countries worldwide in less than two weeks after its Open Beta started the week of March 18th. Currently available on PC and Steam, an astounding number of gamers have discovered the highly stylized 'space-ninja' action game developed by Digital Extremes.

Warframe has been gaining momentum as the next gen Free-to-Play title to watch since October when its Closed Beta began. Bringing a AAA quality gaming experience to the Free-to-Play market has been one of the goals for the development team from the outset. Between the impressive graphics, solid fine-tuned gameplay and regular content and feature updates, Warframe has more than exceeded fan and team expectations to date.

Attributing to its quick success, Digital Extremes has viewed the emerging Free-to-Play segment as a true opportunity to reconnect directly with gamers. Maintaining development transparency and regular interaction with its community is part of the team's design philosophy that has truly paid off in establishing a solid, loyal fan base that is growing in droves alongside the game. Warframe is currently in Open Beta and available on PC and Steam. Visit www.warframe.com to register for an account and play the game for free.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 20:29 Flatline

Moog wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 06:23
uite enjoy it - fun co-op gameplay - but their micotransaction prices are *way* too high to ever consider dropping any money on it.

Will play my default frame with my default weapons until I get bored with it, then delete the installation. [/quote:

Exactly. Tribes Ascend hit this sweet spot where for like 20 bucks I could unlock most of the base content in the game (the player classes). I could unlock my favorite play style for a few bucks and go from there.

Warframe is kind of fun, but I'm not about to spend 30-50 bucks on a PC class that lets me play the game slightly different. Or 10 dollars on a bow.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 18:05 Flak

I know it's probably hard for the Blues News crowd to believe this but I know a few people through gaming communities that spend money on these F2P games...LOTS OF MONEY. I honestly couldn't believe it when they were telling me. I know someone in particular that has spent $750 in the game War Thunder, the worst part of all, the guy has less than 10 hours played in it. I know a few of these casual players with lots of disposable income that spend ungodly amounts of money on a 'free' game that they barely play, it makes no sense at all to me, but these types of people do exist, $750...that's like 12 copies of a $60 game.

...$750 dammit!!

13. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 17:53 fatguy

I found the game fun, but wont spend money on it, not much reason to unless you want a quick fix. Grouping is quick and easy, there are a ton of people. The only real downside is sometimes there is severe lag with random groups. As for whether the company is making money.. I guarandamnty they are making a good amount of money off this game. You can see all the nooby people who dont know what they are doing running around with advanced warframes and weapons all the time. It's a fun mindless game with a well concealed grind and stylish skin.  

12. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 16:33 PHJF

No, the problem is almost all f2p games fucking suck. Ascend is good and Blacklight is (pretty) good, but I have no idea how financially well off they are.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 11:21 djinn

Omni wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 08:38:
Yea the ccop is fun but I am not gonna spend any money on since it just isn't worth wasting money on.

Seems like the fatal flaw in the free to play model. Unless it's near perfect, people will point out the flaws and move onto the next one. Since they haven't invested anything there's also no loss. I'm sure someone will come up with a successful game based on the model, but I think it may bankrupt a few devs in the meantime.

[edit] Of course, this is stated on an announcement of successful growth for these guys. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a tad?

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2013, 11:30.

10. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 08:38 Omni

Yea the ccop is fun but I am not gonna spend any money on since it just isn't worth wasting money on.  

9. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 06:23 Moog

Quite enjoy it - fun co-op gameplay - but their micotransaction prices are *way* too high to ever consider dropping any money on it.

Will play my default frame with my default weapons until I get bored with it, then delete the installation.

8. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 00:33 Cutter

And they'll lose a million players in a week.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

7. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 00:18 netnerd85

They (pay to wi... sorry, free to play developers) think just because they call it AAA people will come flocking in and spending millions of dollars. If you create shit, paid for or not, people won't give a shit. The can't create products at the moment that people want to buy, why would anyone spend money on something free? they're hoping for a few crack-head gamers to fund their shit, it's pathetic.

I'm interested to see how this business model pans out, they really are just hoping for addicts, that's all they are doing. Trying their best to be the next COD catnip for all the young kitties with access to mummy and daddy's bank account.

6. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 00:07 Trevellian

Most farm boss levels only for Warframe parts. Etc. Thats the only reason I could think of you not finding a group, I queue up regularly and find people.

The game isn't superb but it's fun with a few friends a couple times a week.

It is also technically still in beta. The game has not reached Version 1.0 yet. There is still Deathmatch to be added later on and such.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

5. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 5, 2013, 23:14 Glykon

Maybe , just maybe, 1 m tried the game. Now is dead already. You cant find a grp .

Pitty, the fighting is fine but only grinding and no goals, no end-game at all.

Another good idea killed by brainwashed console "designers"

Ah and yeah I finished the game in abt 1 week, even that they made 3 days to wait for a frame to craft after you need like 12 hours for each of the 3 parts to craft, IF you can find them from bosses

4. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 5, 2013, 22:30 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:18:
Anyone give it a shot?

I did. It was pretty bad.

Eh it's standard 3rd person shooter with severe grind imposed on it.

Which is normally "pretty bad, move on", but the up shot is that it takes like 15 minutes to complete an entire mission. And having the game be that discreet fucking rocks.

Game reminds me mildly of sven co-op though, with lots of rooms that basically have different themes chained together to create a level. You'll see lots of familiar rooms really quickly, and the radar points you int he proper direction relentlessly. Exploring has limited value as there aren't that many pick-ups in each map (but that makes them more worth while oddly enough).

Mods have an interesting fusion/upgrade system that is totally off-balanced by how expensive everything is. Apparently end game isn't much of anything and you're severely overpowered.

I wish it were easier to at least unlock new warframes. They're the real cash money sink (along with weapons, but I can live with that), and to unlock one otherwise you have to grind a blueprint, grind resources, and then grind money to assemble the new warframe, then wait some amount of time. I can't tell you how long because apparently the loot I need to grind to unlock my first warframe is about 2/3 of the way through the game.

I know the basic frame won't keep me interested that long, and I have no intention of spending money on this. It's a fun passtime but that's it.

3. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 5, 2013, 22:18 PHJF

Anyone give it a shot?

I did. It was pretty bad.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 5, 2013, 21:56 RaZ0r!

I always confuse this game with Warface. I didn't like it since it was 3rd person. That's just me though, I don't like 3rd person shooters. You might want to give it a shot, especially since it's free.  

1. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 5, 2013, 21:46 siapnar

I've been meaning to try this, DE has made some great games

Anyone give it a shot?

I have projectile dysfunction.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo