Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated

Here's a flurry of news from Wesp5, who has released several of his unofficial patches for unsupported games and is also launching his own also sends word on a Kickstarter that's semi-Bloodlines-related (we thought he was part of this project at first, but that is incorrect: apologies for any confusion). Mod DB and The Patches Scrolls now offer the latest unofficial patch for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, updating the Source-engine action/RPG to version 8.6. Likewise, there's a new Precursors patch on Mod DB and The Patches Scrolls to update Deep Shadows' shooter to version 1.7. Rounding out the patch-fest, a new version 1.7 patch is available on Mod DB and The Patches Scrolls for White Gold: War in Paradise. Though it doesn't seem explicitly noted anywhere, Wesp tells us these are non-beta patches. As for the Kickstarter, that can be found here, looking to raise $75,000 for a Unity game engine multiplayer action/RPG called Sanguine Nights – Darkest Blood. The game is somewhat inspired by Bloodlines, as evidenced in this video interview and this description:

Their many differences result in a perception of racial and cultural clash of a Darwinian nature, regulated by Victorian ethics and Machiavellian concerns for security and self-preservation. Each race perceives others as “savage”, “dangerous” or “inferior” and gracefully plans its dominance over the rest, while carefully manoeuvring around traps set by Inquisitors, Slayers and other supernaturals carrying out their ancient feuds with the Undead.

Where Sanguine Nights truly shines is in the empowerment of players over the game's content. Stretch goals aside, the single-player experience will include many quests throughout New Tenebra which will immerse players in the mythos and cosmos of the setting. For multi-player, we will be building a set of content creation tools which will allow players of the game to enrich their experience and give their own, unique flavour to the world in which Sanguine Nights is set.

Apart from player-driven multiplayer, the game will also feature quests that can be undertaken by one or more characters, sandbox play and, upon reaching Stretch Goal VII, an immersing single-player mode.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated Apr 6, 2013, 13:42 Wesp5

WaltC wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 11:49:
Patch is apparently not on ModDB, and I can't seem to get it from The Patches scrolls at all--keeps telling me the source is unreadable and to try later--at any rate my normal 25k/s down from TPS does me little good!...;)

The patch is not on Moddb because it's an exclusive for TPS. But I thought their own server have improved availability after GameFront blocked a lot of countries. Or maybe you tried the short time in which they updated the patch for a little hotfix...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated Apr 6, 2013, 13:01 Stephen Webb

Hello ladies and gentlemen, my name is Stephen Webb, and I am the lead developer for Sanguine Nights: Darkest Blood. I wanted to help clear up any misunderstandings regarding the nature of the Kickstarter. SN:DB is not merely a MP title. Our right up over at Kickstarter indicates as much, though the info is at the bottom of the page, we are working at reformatting the page layout so as to clear up any misconceptions that are being broadcast on multiple social media. The SP quest chain that is described on the stretch goal graphic is a story driven event that will lead into our full SP game that is to take place in antiquity. Building a video game starting from the perspective of SP and then adding MP gives a disconnected feeling between the two modes, we have built the MP framework so as to accommodate gameplay from SP perspective as well as coop and PvP. This we feel better integrates the two game game types as one whole.
Thank you, Stephen Webb

18. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated Apr 6, 2013, 11:49 WaltC

Patch is apparently not on ModDB, and I can't seem to get it from The Patches scrolls at all--keeps telling me the source is unreadable and to try later--at any rate my normal 25k/s down from TPS does me little good!...;)  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

17. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 11:24 wtf_man

Wesp5 wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 03:07:
Just to clear this up, I have nothing to do with the kickstarter. I just mentioned it to Blues, because it's home forum is the same Planet Vampire site that I use for my Bloodlines patches.

Thanks for the clarification and all the Bloodlines work.

16. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 11:18 Harlequin

Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 01:13:
Pass for all the reasons already listed in this thread. And vampires? Cereal? Aren't they over yet? I know I'm sick of them.

Vampire's have been 'in' since they were redefined in the Victorian era and while some time periods better then others have never fully waned. They have always been popular on some level, if you are waiting for public interest in them to fully disappear you will be waiting for quite some time, hasn't happened in the past ~200 yrs probably won't happen in our lifetime.

15. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 09:35 Wesp5

yuastnav wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 05:00:
Man, I gotta play Precursors.

Yeah, you should! It's unpolished but a lot better with the patch. Please wait for a day or so though, because some stupid time-stamp checking on DeepShadows part and Windows or WinRAR daylight saving update messed the current version up. I will have it fixed in no time!

14. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 05:00 yuastnav

Man, I gotta play Precursors.
I played for what... 2 hours? And spent most of those just talking to everyone at the city. I was kinda put off by how unpolished it is, though.
Don't get me wrong, I was used to this kind of thing from playing a lot of Boiling Point but Precursors was actually worse in that respect.

13. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 03:38 NamecaF

Thanks for the heads up Wesp5. From the story I assumed you were part of the team putting it together. Blue should update the the piece to reflect that that is NOT the case. Cheers.  

12. NOT Wesp5's Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 03:37 eRe4s3r

Wesp5 wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 03:07:
Just to clear this up, I have nothing to do with the kickstarter. I just mentioned it to Blues, because it's home forum is the same Planet Vampire site that I use for my Bloodlines patches.

Blue is just testing our media competence lately, first with Resident Evil 6 and now this ^^ But hey, keeps the readers awake

11. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 03:07 Wesp5

10. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 02:50 eRe4s3r

Huh I dunno.. I think it's far harder to make a coherent RPG with Multiplayer support than it is to make a SP world that just works. Even COOP (ie, 2 player RPG) can already become a huge challenge. And with an unknown new story, I would need to see the quality of the writing BEFORE I ever would kickstart something like it....

Someone I watched on youtube reminded me what I think is the most important thing for a RPG. That is a coherent tone. To NEVER break it. This is why the RPG's of "old" are so wanted. They had a huge coherence, they never did anything that was counter to the tone.

9. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 01:13 Cutter

Pass for all the reasons already listed in this thread. And vampires? Cereal? Aren't they over yet? I know I'm sick of them.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 00:58 NamecaF

Yeah, a spiritual successor to Bloodlines is definitely a cool idea. But focusing on a multiplayer game? That lost me. If they decide to switch it around and make the focus a single-player RPG with multiplayer as a distant stretch goal, then I'd consider backing it. But at the moment, no thanks.  

7. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 5, 2013, 23:57 Acleacius

Gratz on the patch releases! Vampire

I'm only guessing but it's probably much harder to make a good single player story driven RPG, than create a huge multiplayer game based on Vampire RPG rules.

Honestly it puts them in direct competition with the multiplayer aspect of the VtM mmog, this alone will get my support.

It's the one thing everyone seems to want multiplayer adventures in games like Bloodlines, where there's debate about solutions. In theory this is actually the correct progression, build the multiplayer game world, then fill it with adventurous stories.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 5, 2013, 23:49 eRe4s3r

Multiplayer RPG.... when did that ever work right and deliver a great story?  

5. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 5, 2013, 22:56 wtf_man

Starting as a Multiplayer game and having stretch goal 7 for single player?

Don't think this one will get funded.
I appreciate all his work on the Bloodlines patches, and would love to support him... but his game goals, unfortunately, are ass-backwards. (for me, and apparently a few others here)

4. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 5, 2013, 22:27 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:09:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:07:
Wesp's support for broken games that were abandoned by publishers and developers is pretty awesome.

Sanguine Nights looks like it could be interesting but the focus on multiplayer is a bit of a put-off. If multiplayer had been a stretch goal instead of single-player, I'd likely fund it. Also, the reward tier descriptions aren't clear enough. It's nice to want to add some flair and style to them but clarity is what matters most when asking people for money.

Look down. There are images with clear descriptions.

I think they should drop multiplayer altogether. There's no stretch goal high enough for a solid single player campaign.

Those clear descriptions need to be immediately visible in the place where people first look for reward descriptions. It's hard enough getting people's attentions. Requiring them to scroll through the entire page and sort through a ton of images is presenting an unnecessary barrier and only increases the chances of them losing interest and leaving the page.

They may also want to introduce a cheaper tier for getting the game. Like $10 cheap. This project doesn't have any reputable names involved and therefore won't get a lot (if any) media coverage. $10-15 is an impulse buy for most people. $20+ is not.

I'm already predicting this Kickstarter will fall short based on the aforementioned failings. I've already seen it happen time and again with other promising but obscure projects like Fathom, MaK and Blackspace.

3. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 5, 2013, 22:09 ItBurn

Jerykk wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:07:
Wesp's support for broken games that were abandoned by publishers and developers is pretty awesome.

Sanguine Nights looks like it could be interesting but the focus on multiplayer is a bit of a put-off. If multiplayer had been a stretch goal instead of single-player, I'd likely fund it. Also, the reward tier descriptions aren't clear enough. It's nice to want to add some flair and style to them but clarity is what matters most when asking people for money.

Look down. There are images with clear descriptions.

I think they should drop multiplayer altogether. There's no stretch goal high enough for a solid single player campaign.

2. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 5, 2013, 22:07 Jerykk

1. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 5, 2013, 22:03 ItBurn

I love, LOVE Bloodlines. While I also love their work on Bloodlines, I can't say that I'm confident that they can deliver a game of that caliber. The multiplayer checkbox alone breaks everything for me. I didn't like Bloodlines because it was about vampires, but because it was an amazing game.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo