Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 6, 2013, 05:21 Julio

I think I know who Balmer's replacement is going to be now. This microsoft exec is just as clueless.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 6, 2013, 02:58 Warrax

MS Exec: “Electricity goes out too”

Fail argument. You sir, don't get it, at all.

67. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 6, 2013, 00:05 Creston

Saboth wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 20:53:
I went through a period of about 2 months last year where my cable internet disconnected randomly, and my cable modem rebooted every time. Sometimes it would do this about 50 times a day. I spent weeks upon weeks trying things like firmware updates, tweaks, and even rewired the cable in the house. Nothing fixed it. It was apparent the problem was somewhere upstream, but the cable company would not admit to anything, and wanted me to spend big $$ to send a tech out. Yeah...so that's why "fuck always-on".

You should move to the city, obviously!

Creston

66. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 23:59 Fantaz

jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 19:36:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 16:01:
Now I really wish that Microsoft go through with this always online shit, let them burn!

No, let them be reasonable and stop this BS. B/C a world with only Sony is a world of suck. MS is a bulwark against that. Sony won the first round PS 2 vs. Xbox. But then Sony tried to force devs to commit to their unique core proc architecture so they would have more exclusives, and XBox 360 won round 2 (barely). So the pendulum swings, but MS is not in a position to force this shit. If they die on the vine, Sony will force much worse on customers, being essentially in a monopoly position.

Who says Xbox 360 won round 2? I'd say PS3 won more imo. You still have amazing exclusive for PS3 coming out, but Xbox has nothing... not trying to be fanboy either.

65. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 22:25 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 20:22:
LOL -- It has made it to Forbes.

Excellent! Maybe next time he'll think twice about applying his own experience to everyone else.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

64. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 22:13 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 19:36:
Now I really wish that Microsoft go through with this always online shit, let them burn!

No, let them be reasonable and stop this BS. B/C a world with only Sony is a world of suck. MS is a bulwark against that. Sony won the first round PS 2 vs. Xbox. But then Sony tried to force devs to commit to their unique core proc architecture so they would have more exclusives, and XBox 360 won round 2 (barely). So the pendulum swings, but MS is not in a position to force this shit. If they die on the vine, Sony will force much worse on customers, being essentially in a monopoly position.
No I wouldn't want Sony to be in monopoly, but I sure want Microsoft to burn a bit with their greediness.
This must be the year for them to "innovate" and bring all these amazing ideas to consumers.
First Windows8 and it is very innovative Metro interface and of course "apps", and now this always online console.
Bill Gates probably have to come back to slap some sense into these clowns

Steam: SpectralMeat

63. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 20:53 Saboth

I went through a period of about 2 months last year where my cable internet disconnected randomly, and my cable modem rebooted every time. Sometimes it would do this about 50 times a day. I spent weeks upon weeks trying things like firmware updates, tweaks, and even rewired the cable in the house. Nothing fixed it. It was apparent the problem was somewhere upstream, but the cable company would not admit to anything, and wanted me to spend big $$ to send a tech out. Yeah...so that's why "fuck always-on".

62. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 20:22 Mr. Tact

LOL -- It has made it to Forbes.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

61. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 20:20 theglaze

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 19:29:
Unless they lock the framerate of PC ports to 30FPS so it doesn't break things like animations which they hard coded to only look correct at 30.

Usually those games aren't worth playing anyways.

Keep in mind a lot of people use consoles on their TV's with 120Hz or 240Hz smoothing enabled, despite the gimmickry and input lag.

60. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 19:40 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 18:59:
Hey, if they want to limit the new consoles to 30 fps to make the games look nicer, I'm all for that. They'll run at 60 fps on my PC just fine (core i5 @4 GHz, GTX 670).

Yeah get some of that, but you really want people spouting off before release of the console itself, that a game is limiting itself to 30 FPS, just after it was announced, greatest thing ever? Part of the current generation flak has been 30 fps games. These are supposed to be super systems... and already 30 fps, lol, lose.

59. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 19:36 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

58. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 19:29 NegaDeath

jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 18:59:
Hey, if they want to limit the new consoles to 30 fps to make the games look nicer, I'm all for that. They'll run at 60 fps on my PC just fine (core i5 @4 GHz, GTX 670).

Unless they lock the framerate of PC ports to 30FPS so it doesn't break things like animations which they hard coded to only look correct at 30.

57. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 19:12 Beamer

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 17:25:
Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 13:09:
Yup.

And I trust that Microsoft, with their billion servers, will have fantastic uptime.

Oh yeah, you can absolutely trust that Microsoft's servers will always be up. I mean, how else could it be? They're Microsoft!

They never have issues with their shit breaking, ever.

I mean, just NEVER.

Creston

You're illustrating my point, which you took that line out of context from.
Even with fantastic uptime there's still downtime, expected or otherwise.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

56. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 19:10 jdreyer

Here's the problem with the electricity analogy.

Electricity: To get electricity I MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE GRID. No grid, no electricity. It is a requirement. (except in rare cases where people live very expensively off-grid)

Console gaming: To game I do not have to be connected to the internet. No internet, I can still game. It is optional.

Also, only like 70% of the USA has broadband. It's even less in a lot of other countries where xbox sells.

That is all.

55. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 18:59 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 10:50:
And do you really think someone has to drop the 30 FPS is good enough, 60 FPS not needed on a next-gen console? I mean really, they want to open that can of warms before release of the new systems? Now the PS4 can't handle it, I thought it was a fucking super-computer. Better yet "The perfect PC" and already it can't do 60 FPS? WTF Houston? WTF.

54. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 17:31 HorrorScope

Corporate tools still think this shit carries weight:
"This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

The truth is what he said is more personable then this tag line. I bet they have 1000's of support reps that aren't spokespeople for MS and they give out tons of advice and opinions daily. But the corporate machine loves to think they have only one unified voice. There actions speak louder and more accurately then any canned response ever could.

53. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 17:28 Creston

Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 15:36:
Haha this guy is getting absolutely roasted. First two pages there are gold.

Bwahahahaha. That's so fucking awesome.

"Ballmer is in my office... HELP!"

<3 Internet, even when my connection to it is down sometimes.

Creston

52. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 17:25 Creston

Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 13:09:
Yup.

And I trust that Microsoft, with their billion servers, will have fantastic uptime.

Oh yeah, you can absolutely trust that Microsoft's servers will always be up. I mean, how else could it be? They're Microsoft!

They never have issues with their shit breaking, ever.

I mean, just NEVER.

Creston

51. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 17:25 Fantaz

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 17:06:
Update:

Microsoft apologizes for the tweets but doesn't confirm or deny the always online thing. Silence sometimes speaks volumes.

Those Kotaku guys just love to cause a shit-storm, don't they? They'll use anything as fodder, even Microsoft's response which doesn't include mention or confirmation if the next console will be truly online only or not.

I think now after this Microsoft should do an early reveal for their next console and should not wait until E3 to do so after this mess...

Oh, and I'll leave this here:
http://www.abload.de/img/wgvhms80rbkp.jpg

50. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 17:20 Creston

Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 13:07:
Imagine that scenario being ever present for all of your singleplayer games. Sounds like fun to me Blank

There's a really easy way to avoid that scenario: Don't buy MS' next console. Entire problem solved.

Creston

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo