Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

49. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 17:06 NegaDeath

Update:

Microsoft apologizes for the tweets but doesn't confirm or deny the always online thing. Silence sometimes speaks volumes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 17:04 deqer

Meanwhile, at Sony... http://i.minus.com/ipHqzgSb9E2MY.gif  

47. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:58 Julio

Since Microsoft wants to give PS4 the next gen console market, I guess they're depending on Windows 8 to pull their nuts out of the fire.

Go PS4!

46. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:41 Jivaro

I guess Microsoft just thinks that the profits from Live subs and the data mined from the connection to it's customers is worth the risk an "always-on" pipeline opens up.  

45. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:28 Beamer

Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 16:14:
Looking at it from a different perspective, do you really want to build your entire product around something an unscrupulous competitor could DDOS?

I hope these are nothing are just rumors but seeing comments from people like that idiot really make you wonder.
Yup.
The arguments I often make for why this is a bad idea typically don't come from a consumer perspective but from a Microsoft one, because even if you think Microsoft doesn't care about what's good for the consumer (and there's historical reason to make this argument), they certainly wouldn't want to do something that's bad for them (arguably anything bad for the consumer is bad for them, but...)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:23 SpectralMeat

His comment may not be a company statement but it gives you an idea how those morons think. "Hey what's the big deal about always connected, 99% of our customers live in downtown New York and does nothing but plays CoD online all year round anyways"
Like we did not have so many examples over the years already what the problem is with always connected.

Steam: SpectralMeat

43. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:14 Verno

Looking at it from a different perspective, do you really want to build your entire product around something an unscrupulous competitor could DDOS?

I hope these are nothing are just rumors but seeing comments from people like that idiot really make you wonder.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

42. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:08 Jivaro

Wow...he is really getting pounded over this. I was thinking this would kind of wash over quickly since it was a personal opinion and not a company statement.

I still think there will be at least 2 "nextboxes". One very similar to the PS4 and the other will be a closed box that uses only digitally downloaded stuff. It seems to me that MS wants console gaming to operate very much like cell phones....the money is in the subscriptions, not the hardware. I doubt seriously they would try to force that switch across their entire user base in one single generation.

Then again, nothing these large corporations do surprises me anymore. It is like the decision makers are detached from reality.

41. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:05 deqer

"NIKE. Just do it"

"XBOX720 AlwaysOnline. Deal with it"

40. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:01 SpectralMeat

Now I really wish that Microsoft go through with this always online shit, let them burn!  

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:00 Mr. Tact

"Works at Microsoft"

"Sony Employee of the Month"

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 16:00 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 15:36:
Haha this guy is getting absolutely roasted. First two pages there are gold.
ROFL!

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 15:56 NegaDeath

If Sony is smart, and serious about not needing to always be online with PS4, they should be using this as ammo right now.  

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 15:49 Verno

"Offline gaming? Like my wife tells me, you've got 3 minutes."

"My head is always connected...to my ass."

Hahah holy shit.

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 15:40 Mr. Tact

LOL -- That's great Verno. Thanks.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 15:36 Verno

Haha this guy is getting absolutely roasted. First two pages there are gold.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2013, 15:47.

33. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 15:24 Beamer

Prez wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 15:19:
Yeah, being worried that a corporation can shut down a server on a whim and thus prevent you from ever playing the game you paid for on your console is totally people just being overly dramatic. Rolleyes

I wouldn't even go this far. Worrying that the servers will be down when I'm in the middle of a game, or jonesing for a game, is being overly dramatic?

Those issues are more likely, less controllable, and more immediately impactful than your situation. There's no way that Microsoft could deny that these things would happen the way it can deny that it wouldn't keep servers up for years.
You don't even need to get to that argument to see the problem with calling this dramatic. Look at Diablo 3. Look at SC5. Immediate problems for people that want to play. It's not dramatic when it's happening everywhere this is attempted.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 15:21 Ozmodan

Exactly why Microsoft is on a downward spiral, they think they know better than their customers what they need.

If you own Microsoft stock, sell it, it is not going to get better.

31. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 15:19 Prez

Yeah, being worried that a corporation can shut down a server on a whim and thus prevent you from ever playing the game you paid for on your console is totally people just being overly dramatic. Rolleyes  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 15:12 Verno

Lord Tea wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 14:48:
So much fuss about... what? a console? that wants to be online, always?

Fine. Not joining the rant parade. Never owned a console, never will.

Fun thread, guys.

You clicked on Morning Consolidation so yeah, there might be people discussing consoles Guy Who Has Never Owned One Number1

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo