Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Neverwinter Open Beta This Month

Perfect World Entertainment Inc. and Cryptic Studios announce that open beta testing for Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter will begin on April 30th, offering access to their upcoming free-to-play MMORPG. They also announce a fourth closed beta session will take place starting April 12th for founding members: "As an added thank you to the committed Founders who have helped make Neverwinter possible, beginning 12:00 p.m. (PDT) on Friday, April 12, Founders will get the first opportunity to experience Neverwinter's professions system as part of a newly added 60-hour Beta Weekend 4. Founding members may simultaneously pursue four different professions: Leadership, Mailsmithing, Platesmithing and Leatherworking." There's still the chance to become a founder on this page. Also, here are some new Neverwinter screenshots.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 10:29 HorrorScope

m0deth wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 10:17:
Anyway, not too long ago I took a look at their site an noticed Perfect World was involved. After having some experience with some of their other games I realized this was just going to be a half-hearted attempt, with a serious cash grab pay to win structure to it's store.

Yes and that Cryptic is on the record stating they can create a mmo super fast, like 18 months. They figure they can put pretty much anything into their cookie cutter engine and get it to go. NWO is a little different, it wasn't supposed to be a MMO, put as you say PWE got involved and well... that can't be. They need a way to get to the suckers with a lot of cash, opening their wallets to them.

And it's proven to some extent, look at those that are still putting out $200 and $260 for an account, some buying several on top of that, and now there is talk about multiboxing. All this monetary output on a pre-order for a FTP game. 40 million in America are said to have enough money to do as they please long-term. This is what FTP preys on. The rich and the poor, from real life, straight to game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 10:17 m0deth

I knew about this coming out through folks I know that work for WotC, and never really cared as lately their attempts at games are "fling money at untested studios and see what happens".

Anyway, not too long ago I took a look at their site an noticed Perfect World was involved. After having some experience with some of their other games I realized this was just going to be a half-hearted attempt, with a serious cash grab pay to win structure to it's store.

F2P titles don't have to do this to be profitable...and PW has taken it to a level I personally cannot stomach.

I give it maybe two-three years before shutdown, but then...the next cash grab from them will be ready. Rinse, repeat.

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 10:00 HorrorScope

WyldKat wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 01:31:
I won't even get into the pay2win nature of the cash shop, or the nonsense with identification scrolls and how they are constantly needed and oh guess what, they're a cash shop purchase too.

I wanted to say I don't disagree with you and you weren't too harsh.

The one thing I've argued with those that played NWO in beta was the need for ID Scrolls. I counter with you don't need that many because armor stats in this game are so trivial it hasn't mattered up through beta yet. You could go 10 levels to get barely a real stat different. Sure one may say 100 points in that or 200 points, that is all fine and dandy until you realize after the divisory math the real difference is 1 or 2 % between the two. But if you ID everything, there is literally no real stat difference between a level or two. It didn't take too long to figure that out and then the value of ID'ing everything. I just became more selective and then I had more than enough.

So there are two things to add to your complaints:
-Armor Stats are pathetic

-Your look doesn't change much at all for those that like to have different looks or look different from others. And that is saying something for Cryptic. That was their claim to fame and if beta is indicative, then they even lowered their own overall bar.

For those that say "the combat is fun", it's less fun than Vindictus, C9 or Dragon's Nest, other games that play out like NWO, very linear story with action combat.

That said, I'll play it through once at some point, and if there is any hope it will be in the Foundry. This is their 3rd attempt at it. These user content systems sound great, but they are still in their young'n age. So far history shows there is too much crap content to wad through and very cookie cutter. I'm bullish long term of systems like this, but until it knocks my socks off, I'm not going to pre-claim it as "omg great!", why should I? Let it prove itself first, stop with the hype. I also think user content systems answer may not lie into giving everyone access to it, goes back to too much and too much crap. If say a company limited it to 200 users that they screen, know can do good work, a mmo could still have a lot of additional content a dev themselves can't do alone and the bar would simply be higher on the quality.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2013, 10:17.

14. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 09:54 InBlack

Tanto Edge wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 09:41:
While I don't give two shits about the MMO, I operate the D&D P&P game and get to hand out rewards to players of the MMO.

Erm what? Did you just say that you have some major sway with Wizards of the Coast?

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 09:53 Axis

This game is terrible. Not surprising anymore, just a shame -- esp with with the DnD IP and the console generation...  

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 09:48 Bhruic

sauron wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 08:48:
I love D&D but unless this brings interesting game mechanics and depth I'm not sure it will do well.

Keep in mind the game has almost nothing to do with D&D. It doesn't use any of the rules, classes, etc. The only things it has in common are some of the monster names, and the setting (Forgotten Realms). But otherwise, it's extremely standard cookie-cutter MMO fare.

11. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 09:41 Tanto Edge

While I don't give two shits about the MMO, I operate the D&D P&P game and get to hand out rewards to players of the MMO.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

10. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 08:48 sauron

It looks interesting but will have to be really special to drag me away from GW2 - currently 375 hours in to that game and it's really starting to open up. I'm now comfortable with the end game content such as WvW and EXP mode dungeons, my Legendary is almost done, and the atmosphere on my server is great.

I love D&D but unless this brings interesting game mechanics and depth I'm not sure it will do well. People that play MMOs tend to want LOTS of content and customization.

Kittens!

9. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 07:57 RaZ0r!

Angrius Maximis wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 07:48:
well good thing its free to play then right?

Not really.

The game was intended to make money, and not be a gift to the community.

If most people take the same stance as I do, be willing to burn their resources by playing the game, but not contributing any money, then I suspect the game will fail.

8. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 07:48 Angrius Maximis

well good thing its free to play then right?  

7. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 07:32 RaZ0r!

Cookie cutter MMO. It just has a big IP going for it, and the Foundry. I will say it does look nice and plays well, but yeah it's nothing I would spend money on so far.  

6. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 07:05 Julio

Tried the beta as well, it was ok but not great. Can't see dropping any money on it, so we'll see how free-to-play it is. Maybe worth dropping 20 hours or so in it, kind of like Diablo 3 in terms of longevity to me before I think I'll get sick of it.

Felt very much a solo game with a bunch of other people running around. The worst thing is being rooted in the ground during combat, so there's no sense of moving and fighting. This really makes combat mediocre vs how good it could be. Next major issue is minimal character customization, which is really anti-D&D. This makes it feel very non-RPG oriented and more action/arcade ish.

It does feel sort of like you're in Neverwinter, and is probably worth a try - but much worse than DDO was for anyone making comparisons.

5. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 01:31 WyldKat

I really wanted to love this game, but I just couldn't. It's simply not what I was expecting.

I was expecting a D&D game where working together with your party mattered, where there was a deep story, and also where there were lots of puzzles to solve and deadly traps.

The game is COMPLETELY trivial once you get in a party, all of the content, other than dungeons, were meant for soloing and it's painfully obvious. Classes are no where as deep as they are in real D&D with each class watered down into a pigeonhole. Wanna shoot fireballs as a wizard? Tough, here's a bunch of ice spells. The story is super linear which I could handle if there were some Bioware character development/dialogue options. The whole level design is pretty linear too, it's definitely not what you'd expect for an MMO. Again that'd be fine if it was a party oriented game, but it isn't, at least not the main story. Puzzles were trivial and traps barely did any damage.

I won't even get into the pay2win nature of the cash shop, or the nonsense with identification scrolls and how they are constantly needed and oh guess what, they're a cash shop purchase too.

The only saving grace of this game is the Foundry. I played a lot of REALLY well designed quests in it. Seriously they should have had the fans do the main story for this game.

EDIT: I feel I was a bit harsh above. The combat is fun, but it feels a bit stiff because it locks you down in place as opposed to a system like Guild Wars 2/TESO where you are free to move and attack at the same time. However the physics they added can make combat very fun, especially if you punt an enemy off a tall ledge. It is not, however, that great of a D&D game, especially not in the style of Neverwinter Nights. Don't go in expecting that, or anything deep really.

I'll be playing for the Foundry alone, but I went from considering the $60 Founder pack to not wanting to spend a dime, ever, on the game.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2013, 01:38.

4. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 5, 2013, 00:42 Bhruic

I gave this a try, but I wasn't that impressed. Pretty much a standard MMO, with a light sprinkling of the Forgotten Realms on top of it.  

3. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 4, 2013, 23:58 Cutter

I've been in the alpha since the get-go and it's fun. The graphics are actually really outstanding. And a lot of the maps and zones just ooze ambiance. It's fun as an ARPG, but a real CRPG it is not. I think they've hit most of the right buttons with this. The major caveat of course is PWE and how much nickel and diming there's going to be. Unless they're careful they could easily kill off any potential fanbase. I'm looking more to Divinity: Original Sin as more of a true NWN successor at this point - speaking of which 80k to go atm!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 4, 2013, 22:57 Techie714

I'm actually looking forward to this too, I'm not even an MMO player & find them boring but something about this one looks really fun & interesting. The graphics are decent too!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 4, 2013, 22:37 JohnBirshire

Looking forward to the Neverwinter setting *even though Forgotten Realms self imploded*, but kind of holding my breath, as their games to date have been rather underwhelming.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo