Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released

Raven has released the source code for Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, the pair of Star Wars shooters they crafted for LucasArts, the now closed game development arm of the Darth Lucas empire. Kotaku Australia has an official statement on this: "Raven is sad to hear about the closing of LucasArts today, we respected them and enjoyed working with them over the years. We wish the best for all the talented people who were let go and hope they find good work in studios in the industry," the studio told the site. "We loved and appreciated the experience of getting to make Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy for LucasArts. As a gift to the persistently loyal fanbase for our Jedi games and in memory of LucasArts, we are releasing the source code for both games for people to enjoy and play with." Here's the Jedi Outcast source code on SourceForge.net and the Jedi Academy source code on SourceForge.net. Naturally, no support is offered for either release. Thanks VG247.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

16. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 10:21 nin

I never liked Chewbacca or rather Wookies in general. I think its a failing of the mask. They were supposed to be these huge hulking scary intelligent carnivores, yet Chewy always reminded me of a furry, cute Jeff Bridges.

I can totally see your point, as an adult...but my inner 6 y/o (who saw them in theaters, growing up) says "yeah, whatever - it's a wookie!!!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 10:18 Xero

Why hasn't there been a new Jedi SOMETHING game in a while? Outcast and Academy were AWESOME games. Too many good times in multiplayer duel deathmatch. It was awesome fighting or even spectating those matches.

We need a new one running on Unreal Engine 4!

Currently playing: Skyrim

14. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 10:08 InBlack

nin wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:44:
InBlack wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:33:
Im also thinking that this source code release is timed too well to be a coincidence. Maybe they are already in talks with Disney about making another Jedi Knight game? I know wishful thinking, but how cool would that be....

Anything that's written/designed now will have to fit in with any changes they make for the new movies...LIKE CHEWBACCA NOT DYING.

(Sorry, I'm still a little upset over that one, years later.)

I'd also like Disneys stance on a non-molested Original Trilogy release on blu.

I never liked Chewbacca or rather Wookies in general. I think its a failing of the mask. They were supposed to be these huge hulking scary intelligent carnivores, yet Chewy always reminded me of a furry, cute Jeff Bridges. Now that in itself isnt a bad thing. Yeah I can imagine Chewy blowing off steam with a joint in the secret compartment of the Millenium Falcon...but how the hell can anyone take him seriously?

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 10:07 nin

El Pit wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:56:

Disney didn't buy the rights for the first 6 movies. 20th Century Fox retained the rights to those.

I heard fox had A New Hope, but that's it.

12. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 10:07 siapnar

This can only be good news, right?

I mean, this means any old modder can manipulate that code with an available engine and make some magic?

I loved the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight line of games.

I have projectile dysfunction.

11. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:56 El Pit

Disney didn't buy the rights for the first 6 movies. 20th Century Fox retained the rights to those.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

10. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:44 nin

Im also thinking that this source code release is timed too well to be a coincidence. Maybe they are already in talks with Disney about making another Jedi Knight game? I know wishful thinking, but how cool would that be....

Anything that's written/designed now will have to fit in with any changes they make for the new movies...LIKE CHEWBACCA NOT DYING.

(Sorry, I'm still a little upset over that one, years later.)

9. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:41 yuastnav

Good, maybe now people can do what Raven absolutely failed to, that is fix the absolute mess that was Jedi Academy.
While the single player was okay, nothing to home about, the multiplayer was just full of bugs, clipping issues and imbalances.
The special moves which you could do with the double-bladed saber or two sabres could take away up to 190 health points which was ridiculous.
Loved the JK2 multiplayer but JKA was lacking.

8. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:37 RollinThundr

It would be very cool at that. Kudos to Raven (who I didn't even realize still existed, didn't Singularity absolutely flop?)

7. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:33 InBlack

6. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:31 nin

Singularity was a solid if uninspiring game.

I really didn't care for Singularity at first, as it felt like it borrowed from too many other games...yet over time, I find I still think about, and I'll admit my second playthrough was more enjoyable than the first. So I guess it grew on me...

5. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:26 Jedi Master

Not much. Since Quake 4 in 2005, all they've done is Marvel Ultimate Alliance in 2006, X Men Wolverine and Wolfenstein in 2009, Singularity in 2010...and then nothing but minor work on CoD:BlOps 1 and CoD:MW3 (listed as DLC, user interface) since.

Singularity was a solid if uninspiring game. I liked Wolfenstein well enough, although RTCW was the best of the 3. The total lack of any actual GAMES since 2010 though is pretty sad.

4. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:09 Verno

What's Raven up to these days anyway? I haven't kept track of the old devs who used to do id software expansion work and whatnot.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

3. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:09 nin

Keep meaning to replay these...yea for Raven!

2. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:06 InBlack

Yeah, those were two awesome games. Although not as awesome as Dark Forces, and Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, they rank pretty high up on my list though.

If someone released an upgraded version of these two games ala Freespace: Source, Im going to be a very happy puppy.

1. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 09:03 Mikus_Aurelius

Put me on the list of people who would pay for a reboot (from a competent developer).  

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo