Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released

Raven has released the source code for Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, the pair of Star Wars shooters they crafted for LucasArts, the now closed game development arm of the Darth Lucas empire. Kotaku Australia has an official statement on this: "Raven is sad to hear about the closing of LucasArts today, we respected them and enjoyed working with them over the years. We wish the best for all the talented people who were let go and hope they find good work in studios in the industry," the studio told the site. "We loved and appreciated the experience of getting to make Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy for LucasArts. As a gift to the persistently loyal fanbase for our Jedi games and in memory of LucasArts, we are releasing the source code for both games for people to enjoy and play with." Here's the Jedi Outcast source code on SourceForge.net and the Jedi Academy source code on SourceForge.net. Naturally, no support is offered for either release. Thanks VG247.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

36. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 13:45 Undocumented Alien

fujiJuice wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 13:09:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:45:
I'd like to see a developer create a Jango/Boba Fett Bounty Hunter type game in the same vein as Jedi Outcast/Academy. You get bounties to take out good or bad targets and go through a story. Surprised that has never come around.

They did, http://www.mobygames.com/game/star-wars-bounty-hunter not a bad game, in my opinion. Though I am sure it hasn't aged well.

Well, no wonder why I never heard of it, they only sold this for consoles... do you know if they ever ported it to the PC? Outside of Mario Bros, Sonic, or Lego Wii games, I don't do Consoles.

I would also be happy with another Jedi Knight game as well of course.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 13:44 SirKnight

I would like to have the source to Outlaws.  

34. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 13:41 NegaDeath

fujiJuice wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 13:09:
I'd like to see a developer create a Jango/Boba Fett Bounty Hunter type game in the same vein as Jedi Outcast/Academy. You get bounties to take out good or bad targets and go through a story. Surprised that has never come around.

They did, http://www.mobygames.com/game/star-wars-bounty-hunter not a bad game, in my opinion. Though I am sure it hasn't aged well.

According to this new Kotaku article 1313 was changed into a Boba Fett game before Lucasarts was shut down.

33. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 13:23 Dan =0)

I'm downloading the JA source code for the halibut.  

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

32. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 13:09 fujiJuice

31. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 13:02 edaciousx

Holy off topic batman...

So are there any teams planning to do something with this source code?

30. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 12:33 Creston

nin wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 11:58:
George's claims of "it's gone" are blatant lies (my bet),

They are. He knew full well that most fans really didn't like his "revisions" and wanted the original trilogy, with the original dialogue, and the original scenes. (fuck this greedo shot first bullshit. It completely alter Han's character.)

So rather than have to admit he was wrong, he just twisted things so nobody had any choice but to watch HIS preferred version.

Creston

29. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 12:17 NegaDeath

If the original prints are gone then we can just use CGI to de-CGI the CGI.

Foolproof!

28. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 12:04 Optional Nickname!

If you like lightsaber based combat, try the Jedi Academy JA+ mod. It adds some fun animations plus new moves, effects.

http://www.japlus.net/

While the Q3 engine is old and easily abused and mismatched pings cause unpredictable results, the frantic light saber + weapon action is unmatched in any multiplayer game to date. Also, modern hardware can lock your refresh rate to the Q3 tick-rate frame for frame for perfect fluidity in play.

Be forewarned, years of practice and familiarity has made some nigh unstoppable Jedi and Sith and the Russians have bought some impressive cheats.

27. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 12:02 El Pit

nin wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:07:
El Pit wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:56:
nin wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:44:
I'd also like Disneys stance on a non-molested Original Trilogy release on blu.

Disney didn't buy the rights for the first 6 movies. 20th Century Fox retained the rights to those.

I heard fox had A New Hope, but that's it.

Hmmm... Huh

Guess it's something we'll be seeing a Court Wars about. Fox vs. Disney?

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2013, 12:51.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

26. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 11:58 nin

Tulwinn wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 11:51:
What he said was true, from a certain point of view

"The original negative is conformed to the 1997 Special Edition, meaning the physical copy has been cut and edited with CGI "improvements." With sections of the film being too damaged to work with, parts of that print were taken from other sources. "You never throw away your original negative, so I must assume that any pieces or shots that were removed are in storage somewhere at Lucasfilm or Fox," he explained."

The problem a lot of people have with that is: The source material would have to be digitized, before CGI work was added. But George claims this was done all-in-one step, which somehow destroyed the original print in the process. And that's bullshit. You would never ever ever make a change w/o backing up the source materials first, so you can revert and redo, if you're not happy with the results. And no sane person would delete all that source material once the CGI was added to the copy...you would keep it as a reference and backup, in case you needed to refer to it in the future, or do additional changes.

George's claims of "it's gone" are blatant lies (my bet), or rampant stupidity.

edit:
To quote George himself:

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 11:55 TurdFergasun

Tulwinn wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 11:51:
Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:56:
I thought George said that the original prints were destroyed, and that was impossible? You mean he lied???

Creston

"The original negative is conformed to the 1997 Special Edition, meaning the physical copy has been cut and edited with CGI "improvements." With sections of the film being too damaged to work with, parts of that print were taken from other sources. "You never throw away your original negative, so I must assume that any pieces or shots that were removed are in storage somewhere at Lucasfilm or Fox," he explained."

the un-edited originals were available on laser disc, there is a digital negative somewhere, probably hidden under the weight of george's wounded massive ego.

24. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 11:51 Tulwinn

I thought George said that the original prints were destroyed, and that was impossible? You mean he lied???

Creston

23. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 11:34 TurdFergasun

AngelicPenguin wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 11:04:

Boba Fett sure, but who is this "Jango" you speak of? (sarcasm.)

The universe is a much better place when you completely ignore the existence of the prequels. They are not canon, they are fodder. My own new hope is that george watched the red letter media reviews, and just decided it was best to hide under a table and die.

Bring on a proper JK3 with similar combat dynamics as JK2. That is all that's needed from this situation.

22. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 11:04 AngelicPenguin

Boba Fett sure, but who is this "Jango" you speak of? (sarcasm.)

21. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 11:00 nin

Creston

He also said no episodes 7-9 and look where money got us! And we KNOW disney loves two things:

1. Money.
2. Re-releasing it's classics - FOR MONEY.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 10:56 Creston

Creston

19. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 10:55 Creston

Xero wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:18:
Why hasn't there been a new Jedi SOMETHING game in a while?

Because LucasArts was run by functionally braindead monkeys.

Creston

18. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 10:45 Undocumented Alien

17. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 10:33 yuastnav

Xero wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:18:
Why hasn't there been a new Jedi SOMETHING game in a while? Outcast and Academy were AWESOME games. Too many good times in multiplayer duel deathmatch. It was awesome fighting or even spectating those matches.
[...]

I can agree with the "fighting" part, however watching most of these matches was dreadful because at a higher skill level the fights consisted of the opponents circling each other and going backwards and forwards the whole time. Then they would swing their swords and hope that they managed to land a hit and that would go and on and on and on...

Still, a Jedi Knight 3 would be phenomenal, although it would lose a lot of its charm because it wouldn't use the Quake 3 engine anymore.
I think LucasArts decided that they'd rather release The Force Unleashed, which looked interesting back when I first saw it on Giga Games in... 2004? 2005?
Anyway, the game itself was dreadful, just awful and not fun in any way. There were also too many quick time events.
But that's probably why there will be no new Jedi Knight. It seems that they just abandoned a series in favour of something that is similar but ultimately less interesting.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo