Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released

Raven has released the source code for Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, the pair of Star Wars shooters they crafted for LucasArts, the now closed game development arm of the Darth Lucas empire. Kotaku Australia has an official statement on this: "Raven is sad to hear about the closing of LucasArts today, we respected them and enjoyed working with them over the years. We wish the best for all the talented people who were let go and hope they find good work in studios in the industry," the studio told the site. "We loved and appreciated the experience of getting to make Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy for LucasArts. As a gift to the persistently loyal fanbase for our Jedi games and in memory of LucasArts, we are releasing the source code for both games for people to enjoy and play with." Here's the Jedi Outcast source code on SourceForge.net and the Jedi Academy source code on SourceForge.net. Naturally, no support is offered for either release. Thanks VG247.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 5, 2013, 17:46 Ant

yuastnav wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 17:44:
Ah, sorry again, what I meant to write was that I never played it in multiplayer but I did actually play the game. I remember that this was the game I bought my only joystick for, which I still have. Unfortunately it is collecting dust at the moment but I've been eyeying a Saitek X 52 althought I am not really sure what I would use it for.

At least I think I played this game. This was the one were you piloted this YT-1300 or something, correct?
I think so. And you had a droid with you. I think I used my friend's analog joystick. Hehe.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 5, 2013, 17:44 yuastnav

Ah, sorry again, what I meant to write was that I never played it in multiplayer but I did actually play the game. I remember that this was the game I bought my only joystick for, which I still have. Unfortunately it is collecting dust at the moment but I've been eyeying a Saitek X 52 althought I am not really sure what I would use it for.

At least I think I played this game. This was the one were you piloted this YT-1300 or something, correct?

54. Re: X-Wing Alliance Apr 5, 2013, 17:39 Ant

yuastnav wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 17:32:
Oh sorry, I only just read the title of your post and it said "X-Wing Alliance". Never played that one unfortunately and am also curious how that was.
It's not good as X-Wing and TIE Fighter IMO, but it was still fun. IIRC, it was for Windows. It does have multiplayer as someone mentioned. Check it out if you can.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

53. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 5, 2013, 17:32 yuastnav

Oh sorry, I only just read the title of your post and it said "X-Wing Alliance". Never played that one unfortunately and am also curious how that was.  

52. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 5, 2013, 17:00 Ant

yuastnav wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 16:58:
Don't know whether people play today but for the longest time there was a 32 player CTF server for Jedi Outcast called "[united] Courscant", I think.
Maybe it is still around? Have not played JO in many years. It was really great fun back then.
And in 2002/2003 I also only had a 56k modem and multiplayer was still great although people tended to kick me from the server for having a 300/400 ms ping.
I remember those days.

51. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 5, 2013, 16:58 yuastnav

Don't know whether people play today but for the longest time there was a 32 player CTF server for Jedi Outcast called "[united] Courscant", I think.
Maybe it is still around? Have not played JO in many years. It was really great fun back then.
And in 2002/2003 I also only had a 56k modem and multiplayer was still great although people tended to kick me from the server for having a 300/400 ms ping.

50. X-Wing Alliance online. Apr 5, 2013, 14:18 Ant

How was it? I never got to play on the Internet because I had dial-up modems. Do people still play it today? I don't have the game anymore.

LucasArts should just opensource of the game engines.

49. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 5, 2013, 05:16 Armengar

xwing alliance STILL gets the odd game at our lan parties. It is still a great coop game. Nothing like having a massive space battle with furballs everywhere. You truly could have you and your mates each have a number of wingmen all forming up for a run on a star destroyer (or two!). Given that you could even have an AI run the shitty ywings if you liked.

a most impressive game that really did work for me. Being as there are tons of addons now with lots of hires packs available it still plays well.

Im not sure how a sequel could be done though. I could dream and drool about a 32 player game with epic space battles. Perhaps even the nirvana that is a control of a capitol ship crewed by human player if so desired (perhaps a commander overview map or battery control etc). It wont happen though as it will be too niche.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2013, 05:22.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

48. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 23:49 Dev

nin wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:44:
Anything that's written/designed now will have to fit in with any changes they make for the new movies...LIKE CHEWBACCA NOT DYING.

(Sorry, I'm still a little upset over that one, years later.)
ZOMG yes!
And it wasn't even a meaningful death. Not even a heroic one. He pointlessly died thinking he was going to save someone... who didn't need saving.

Up until that point I bought like all the star wars fiction books in existence. I LOVE zahn's books.
That started turning me off. Then the later books where they started destroying the galaxy and all the rebellion had built (making all of it pointless too) with some random out of universe invaders, and killed off kids of luke and han, bleh. I stopped buying there. I occasionally buy a book that is before all that crap, but hardly ever now.

47. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 23:42 Dev

They'd better hope they have all the rights to the source to be able to release it. Closing of LA won't stop the Mouse for even half a second from going after someone, it matters less than nothing that its closed down.  

46. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 21:08 Krizzen

Fantaz wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 20:00:
Will Raven please do a sequel or spiritual successor? The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were some of my favorite classics...

This x1000! Jedi Knight was quite unique (and still is?). It took Star Wars and mashed it into a fast-paced first/third person shooter chock full of light saber fights and plenty of force powers! More please!

45. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 20:00 Fantaz

Will Raven please do a sequel or spiritual successor? The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were some of my favorite classics...  

44. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 19:21 Panickd

Taskeen wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 18:07:
Unfortunately we will never see the great games again made into the next gen games of today like, X-Wing Simulator, TIE Fighter Simulator, Dark Forces 1 and II (continuing the story of Kyle Katarn and really going next gen with Jedi+Light Saber), Full Throttle (point and click adventure), the continuation of Dash Rendar and Leebo's story from Shadows of The Empire.

That's it, its done forever. I expect Disney to shit out kiddie licensed Star Wars games for the masses, non-Triple AAA titles, and not explore the huge extended universe that is already there for Star Wars. I haven't expected much good things from Lucas Arts though, since they've lost too much talent over of the years. If those good devs form up and create kick starters for new and great games/stories that Lucas Arts used to create, then maybe there is a chance.

I also don't expect much for the so called upcoming star wars movies, when the Extended Universe already has great stories to adapt movies into, like with the Ssi Ruuk that took place right after Return of The Jedi, the assault on Coruscant, the empire surviving as the "Imperial Remnant," Grand Admiral Thrawn, the New Jedi Order, Luke and Mara Jade, Leia becoming a Jedi, Han and Leia's 3 kids, etc.

I'm not sure this is true. Most of the old school torch carrying is being done by the indie/kickstarter games. They may not be happening at the level that you want but they are happening and there is a certain audience looking forward to them. Will someone ever successfully license a "Full Throttle" game? Who knows, but there are several people out there who would like to create the spiritual successor. And maybe that's what is needed.

43. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 18:07 Taskeen

Unfortunately we will never see the great games again made into the next gen games of today like, X-Wing Simulator, TIE Fighter Simulator, Dark Forces 1 and II (continuing the story of Kyle Katarn and really going next gen with Jedi+Light Saber), Full Throttle (point and click adventure), the continuation of Dash Rendar and Leebo's story from Shadows of The Empire.

That's it, its done forever. I expect Disney to shit out kiddie licensed Star Wars games for the masses, non-Triple AAA titles, and not explore the huge extended universe that is already there for Star Wars. I haven't expected much good things from Lucas Arts though, since they've lost too much talent over of the years. If those good devs form up and create kick starters for new and great games/stories that Lucas Arts used to create, then maybe there is a chance.

I also don't expect much for the so called upcoming star wars movies, when the Extended Universe already has great stories to adapt movies into, like with the Ssi Ruuk that took place right after Return of The Jedi, the assault on Coruscant, the empire surviving as the "Imperial Remnant," Grand Admiral Thrawn, the New Jedi Order, Luke and Mara Jade, Leia becoming a Jedi, Han and Leia's 3 kids, etc.

42. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 17:58 Flatline

yuastnav wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:33:
Xero wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:18:
Why hasn't there been a new Jedi SOMETHING game in a while? Outcast and Academy were AWESOME games. Too many good times in multiplayer duel deathmatch. It was awesome fighting or even spectating those matches.
[...]

I can agree with the "fighting" part, however watching most of these matches was dreadful because at a higher skill level the fights consisted of the opponents circling each other and going backwards and forwards the whole time. Then they would swing their swords and hope that they managed to land a hit and that would go and on and on and on...

Still, a Jedi Knight 3 would be phenomenal, although it would lose a lot of its charm because it wouldn't use the Quake 3 engine anymore.
I think LucasArts decided that they'd rather release The Force Unleashed, which looked interesting back when I first saw it on Giga Games in... 2004? 2005?
Anyway, the game itself was dreadful, just awful and not fun in any way. There were also too many quick time events.
But that's probably why there will be no new Jedi Knight. It seems that they just abandoned a series in favour of something that is similar but ultimately less interesting.

The Force Unleashed would have been decent if the saber wasn't a fucking whiffle bat after the first couple levels. I mean, it shouldn't take 37 hits to kill a stormtrooper, even if he is a big badass mini-boss. After I realized that the lightsabers were useless, I just dumped all my points into force push and lightning and ran around zapping everyone, and it turned boring.

Whoever thought "let's make a game where you're actually a badass jedi" and then said "I know, let's make your lightsaber fucking useless" needs to be beaten severely.

And yes, the power level is way off from the rest of the films and the characters are boring and uninteresting and you know how the goddamn game is going to end since you *can't* kill the emperor or vader and you can't join them, since this is "canon" prequel shit. But it had promise as a good action fighting game, they just fucked it up.

41. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 14:45 fujiJuice

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 13:45:
Well, no wonder why I never heard of it, they only sold this for consoles... do you know if they ever ported it to the PC? Outside of Mario Bros, Sonic, or Lego Wii games, I don't do Consoles.

I don't think they did, I have the gamecube version. A shame too, it probably have sold pretty well on the PC with the audience already setup with the Jedi games.

40. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 14:42 NegaDeath

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 14:22:
Can we get a sequel to Xwing Alliance?

Totally Games still exists and Lawrence Holland is still there, though they've been quiet for awhile. With Lucas and Lucasarts obstructionist management out of the picture its more possible now than before. Same goes for a Jedi Knight sequel, Raven is still around too.

39. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 14:22 Burrito of Peace

Can we get a sequel to Xwing Alliance?  

38. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 13:59 Techie714

SirKnight wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 13:44:
I would like to have the source to Outlaws.

OMG I LOVED that game!! I have the soundtrack & still think it is amazing today..lol.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

37. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 13:47 Undocumented Alien

According to this new Kotaku article 1313 was changed into a Boba Fett game before Lucasarts was shut down.

Doh! Maybe someone else will pick it up.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo