Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As many of you noticed, the site started spitting out server errors last night, making the forums inaccessible. The timing of this was unfortunate, as there are a couple of current topics that have spurred lively conversations, so apologies to those frustrated by this. And thanks to Frans, who I believe bravely jumped into the fire in the wee hours to set things right again.

Erroneous Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Heroes of the Sword.
Stories: Fallon Will Replace Leno in 2014. Gerald R. Ford responds.
Audi Wants to Change a 45-Year-Old U.S. Headlight Rule.
"Game of Thrones" Renewed For S4.
Science: Scientists find antibody "roadmap" to AIDS vaccine.
Low Melatonin May Boost Diabetes Risk.
Media: Honest Trailers - Jurassic Park. Thanks Videosift.
Post-It Note Arcade.
Hotline Miami IRL.
That Wasn't So Bad. Not a future astronaut.
Lava Kayaking Near Hawaii Volcano. Photos.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2013, 09:53 RollinThundr

.net_Drifter wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 06:35:
Cutter wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 19:26:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 16:05:
Cutter wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 15:36:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 15:15:
Tanto Edge wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 14:34:
And then Leno will Replace Fallon in 2015.
Carson's dead skeletal remains are funnier than both those hacks put together. Just sayin.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching Johnny a lot, but never cared for Leno or Letterman, and I hate Fallon and O'Brian.

Carson was great. Honestly even though I don't care for Letterman, I still think he should have originally gotten the Tonight Show, considering all the years he put in being the Late Show after Carson's show, and he was promised the Tonight Show when Carson retired.

Johnny Carson: King of Late Night is an amazing documentary from the American Masters series. Watch it if you haven't seen it. And yeah, there's one point where Carson shows up to do Dave's Top Ten list and show the suits that he wanted Dave to take over his show.

Carson I only slightly cared for, Leno . . . well, I liked his Headlines and Jay Walking, O'Brian did a pretty funny Clinton gag, not much else.
And Fallon. Oh god, do I dislike this guy. Cannot stand his brand of comedy, cannot stand his jokes, cannot stand his delivery. I honestly do not know how anyone can find him funny. Of all the people who could get the Tonight Show . . .

A lot of it for me is Carson was from that old guard of comedians, the Don Rickles and Dean Martin types, guys who were funny without swearing every other word of their set. Don't see that nowadays much.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2013, 06:35 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 19:26:
Carson's dead skeletal remains are funnier than both those hacks put together. Just sayin.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching Johnny a lot, but never cared for Leno or Letterman, and I hate Fallon and O'Brian.

Carson was great. Honestly even though I don't care for Letterman, I still think he should have originally gotten the Tonight Show, considering all the years he put in being the Late Show after Carson's show, and he was promised the Tonight Show when Carson retired.

Johnny Carson: King of Late Night is an amazing documentary from the American Masters series. Watch it if you haven't seen it. And yeah, there's one point where Carson shows up to do Dave's Top Ten list and show the suits that he wanted Dave to take over his show.

Carson I only slightly cared for, Leno . . . well, I liked his Headlines and Jay Walking, O'Brian did a pretty funny Clinton gag, not much else.
And Fallon. Oh god, do I dislike this guy. Cannot stand his brand of comedy, cannot stand his jokes, cannot stand his delivery. I honestly do not know how anyone can find him funny. Of all the people who could get the Tonight Show . . .

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2013, 02:00 Creston

Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 18:14:
Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 17:19:
NegaDeath wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 16:48:
Roger Ebert passed away.

Two thumbs WAY up!

Creston

The guy politely wasn't a fan of your hobby, so you're happy he's dead.

I was actually just making fun of the fact that he gave 99.9999999% of Hollywood's drivel two thumbs up. He likely would have given a movie about his own death two thumbs way up.

Creston

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 23:27 jdreyer

What Scottish Martial Arts said. The man was a gift.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 21:24 Scottish Martial Arts

Roger Ebert passed away.

I'm quite bummed about his death. I read his reviews nearly every Friday morning for years until his health problems started drastically limiting his output. He understood and could communicate the humanistic virtues of literature (film being a subset of literature) better than nearly every other critic writing for a popular audience. I'd even venture that between Ebert and the film unit I had in AP English as a high school senior, the foundation was laid for me to finally "get" literature and the humanities partway through my sophomore year of college, a lifelong and invaluable gift that even most highly educated and highly intelligent people never get to have (ask your average engineering student what they think of the literature class they are "forced" to take, and they'll call it a complete waste of time).

As for Ebert and video games, I'd wager that while Ebert knew little about video games, the video game fans who were so critical of Ebert knew even less about art.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 21:12 Julio

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 13:37:
Halogen headlights are actually one of my biggest pet peeves.

Cutter wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 11:58:
and his ultra-bright halogens burn my eyeballs out of their sockets and sear the inside of my brain.

Completely agree, no need for the insanely bright headlights people already have.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 19:28 Cutter

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 18:51:
Roger Ebert passed away.

Two thumbs WAY up!

Creston

So he didn't think video games are art. Kinda harsh to cheer his death because of that.

I think Cres was just teasing. But honestly, the guy really was mostly a prick his whole life. It's hard to feel bad for him.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 19:26 Cutter

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 18:51 RollinThundr

Roger Ebert passed away.

Two thumbs WAY up!

Creston

So he didn't think video games are art. Kinda harsh to cheer his death because of that.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 18:14 Beamer

Roger Ebert passed away.

Two thumbs WAY up!

Creston

The guy politely wasn't a fan of your hobby, so you're happy he's dead.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 17:54 nin

Roger Ebert passed away.

Two thumbs WAY up!

Creston

er...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 17:21 Mr. Tact

You know, I'm kinda glad it's over for him. His quality of life couldn't have been great.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 17:19 Creston

Roger Ebert passed away.

Two thumbs WAY up!

Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 16:48 NegaDeath

Roger Ebert passed away.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 16:33 Tanto Edge

http://youtu.be/nJCzrSENHnQ?t=1m8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 16:05 RollinThundr

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 15:59 jdreyer

"And witness, The Goldblum."

OMG, that had me in tears.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 15:36 Cutter

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 15:36 Hoop

Post-it note arcade is just a work of art.
Better than most contemporary crap found in galleries.

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2013, 15:22 NegaDeath

I smell a kickstarter.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo