Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011

Kotaku has an article about DOOM 4 development being "off track," reporting "multiple sources" say the shooter sequel is not close to complete after five years of development that included a reboot, and describing rising tensions between developer id Software and parent Zenimax. The reboot occurred in late 2011, and is the one part of the story that has an on-the-record comment, as Pete Hines of Bethesda Softworks (also a Zenimax company) confirmed this for them. "An earlier version of Doom 4 did not exhibit the quality and excitement that Id and Bethesda intend to deliver and that Doom fans worldwide expect," Hines said in a statement for the site. "As a result, Id refocused its efforts on a new version of Doom 4 that promises to meet the very high expectations everyone has for this game and this franchise. When we’re ready to talk about the Doom 4 Id is making, we will let folks know." The article offers dire, though unconfirmed anecdotes from their sources, describing attempts at a more cinematic game derided as "Call of Doom," power struggles merging the RAGE team into the project, and organizational issues leading to an exodus of talent from the developer. Word is the game is not very close to complete, and is now planned for the next generation of consoles, and that Zenimax is putting a lot of pressure on id, with the threat of closure or becoming an engine developer if DOOM 4 fails to meet expectations, which are apparently quite lofty, as apparently id was told by Zenimax executives that the game could and should be as big as Skyrim.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

25. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 23:45 Redmask

Hellbinder wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 22:32:
A decade ago really?

I will never understand why these game developers sell themselves to big publishers.

There was no reason to ever make doom 4. They should have done what they mentioned a few times. revisit the world of the original quake.

Off topic...

but i don't see how any game developers are going to survive the next generation war. Who can afford the development cost of all the insane expectations people expect from games art assets and cinematic atmosphere. It seems to me like the industry is about to eat itself out of existence.

Being sold to Zenimax is the only reason id isn't bankrupt and defunct right now. Zenimax has every right to be demanding, they are footing ids bills and id isn't producing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 23:31 Beamer

Hellbinder wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 22:32:
A decade ago really?

I will never understand why these game developers sell themselves to big publishers.

There was no reason to ever make doom 4. They should have done what they mentioned a few times. revisit the world of the original quake.

You know Doom 4 was announced before Zenimax bought them, eh?

And why did they sell to Zenimax? Most likely because Rage bankrupt them and it was a choice between selling to someone and existing or going out of business with Rage unfinished.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 23:10 deqer

DangerDog wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 23:05:
bring back the classic doom characters!

HD doom classic screenshot
that is bad ass.

now THAT is "Doom 4" to me. I'd buy that. I don't care about "re-hash" argument.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2013, 23:16.

22. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 23:05 DangerDog

bring back the classic doom characters!

HD doom classic screenshot

21. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 23:05 Fantaz

siapnar wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 21:21:
Is umm, any game as big as Skyrim?

Isn't it still in the Steam top 10?

DOOM 4 will attract half the sales, if that.

Heh, I like your disregard all comments made above line sig.

My guess is Kotaku simply came up with an article people want to hear and base it on "multiple sources" just to sound credible so they can get more hits/clicks. They're like the TmZ of games now with these gossip stories.

20. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 23:04 Vulkan

Calling it: Next id shooter will be Kickstarter funded.  

19. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:58 mystery8

Hate to be a jerk but....

so hey, how's that whole selling out to Zenimax thing working for ya id? This is not at all surprising, unfortunately

18. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:56 eRe4s3r

What's this blasphemy! We don't need gameplay, just a craptacular inefficient mega-texture to make everything super blurry up-close and insanely large while at the same time totally messing up everything that a FPS should do and has been doing the past 10 years! Dah ID gods have spoken, we only needeth megatexture! Bow before them and give unto them your firstplayed game in exchange for a 30gb game that's only 6 hours long.  

17. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:49 [VG]Reagle

John blab his mouth off about tech crap Carmack is acting like a movie star playing with his rockets and laughing his ass off about how hard Quake fans got it right up the ass.

Sooner ID closes and Carmack stops yapping about engine technology the better chance we can see a real game with you know gameplay.

OMG I mentioned gameplay in a post about ID. Damn

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

16. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:32 Cutter

5 years, god knows how much money, and they can't produce something as simple as a DOOM game? There isn't a simpler game to make. Just fold them up already they won't be missed at this point.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:32 Hellbinder

A decade ago really?

Off topic...

but i don't see how any game developers are going to survive the next generation war. Who can afford the development cost of all the insane expectations people expect from games art assets and cinematic atmosphere. It seems to me like the industry is about to eat itself out of existence.

The Whales name is Bob.

14. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:27 Kosumo

If it comes out with an amazing MP game as part of it (you know, the on-line side that is a must for the sake of DRM) it 'could' sell big Skyrim like numbers ..... But it would have to be as amazing as Quakeworld was when that came out and even then it's been quite some time since they where the pimp of the FPS market. Don't know if they still got the bitches?  

13. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:20 Smellfinger

A story like this could have been written a decade ago and it would have rang just as true then as it does now.

12. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:11 theyarecomingforyou

Cram wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 22:02:
For Zenimax to be so delusional to think that Doom 4 could reach Skyrim level, that is a tough pill to swallow.
Yeah, that's bizarre. Few games can get anywhere near that, let alone from a developer like id Software.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

11. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:10 netnerd85

Zenimax is pushing for Call of Doom and you people are bitching about id software?

RAGE was bloody awesome.

Skyrim is over rated, it's the Call of Duty of RPG/fantasy games. Call of Scrolls?

10. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:02 Cram

I want to believe this is bullsh*t but there have been only whispers, and absolutely nothing else, of this game through various channels for so long that it sounds believable. That is, Doom 4's progress sucking sounds believable. It has been so long that it is reaching Vaporware status for me. For Zenimax to be so delusional to think that Doom 4 could reach Skyrim level, that is a tough pill to swallow.  

9. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 22:00 theyarecomingforyou

Given the appalling screenshots that came out a while back I'm not surprised. And given the trainwreck that was RAGE it's to be expected that there is some tension between id Software and Zenimax.

I'm surprised Zenimax is even continuing with the project.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

8. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 21:47 jdreyer

Doom 3 was competent, but not stellar. I bought new hardware to play it when it came out, and played it but never finish (not damning in and of itself, as I usually don't finish games, including awesome ones like Half-Life (quit at Xen) and Oblivion (twice)). Rage I bought I haven't played yet.

Still, I think the comparison is a poor one, Doom 4 and Skyrim. They need to temper their expectations. Bethesda is a developer on the top of their game making the best games in their genre, and have been ascendant for a decade. Id has stagnated for the past decade and released some solid, but underwhelming games. The best game in the past decade to come out of an id IP was Quake Wars, and id didn't even develop that.

Given that Doom has always been "run through the maze and shoot stuff" I think that a Call of Doom style game is probably the right call. The question is, will they be able to sell enough to justify the cost? I highly doubt it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 21:37 Acleacius

Lol, as if id has any fucking idea what their doing.

B grade quality games at best...... with great console graphics!

/couldn't resist promoting their amazing graphics engine!

//snarky snark snark

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 21:37 nin

Think I'd rather have doom stay as it is, circa the first two...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo