Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011

Kotaku has an article about DOOM 4 development being "off track," reporting "multiple sources" say the shooter sequel is not close to complete after five years of development that included a reboot, and describing rising tensions between developer id Software and parent Zenimax. The reboot occurred in late 2011, and is the one part of the story that has an on-the-record comment, as Pete Hines of Bethesda Softworks (also a Zenimax company) confirmed this for them. "An earlier version of Doom 4 did not exhibit the quality and excitement that Id and Bethesda intend to deliver and that Doom fans worldwide expect," Hines said in a statement for the site. "As a result, Id refocused its efforts on a new version of Doom 4 that promises to meet the very high expectations everyone has for this game and this franchise. When we’re ready to talk about the Doom 4 Id is making, we will let folks know." The article offers dire, though unconfirmed anecdotes from their sources, describing attempts at a more cinematic game derided as "Call of Doom," power struggles merging the RAGE team into the project, and organizational issues leading to an exodus of talent from the developer. Word is the game is not very close to complete, and is now planned for the next generation of consoles, and that Zenimax is putting a lot of pressure on id, with the threat of closure or becoming an engine developer if DOOM 4 fails to meet expectations, which are apparently quite lofty, as apparently id was told by Zenimax executives that the game could and should be as big as Skyrim.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

45. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 08:54 Enahs

I actually enjoyed Rage.
I played it two times through.

Was it great, no. But it was fun to me. Just because some of us have different tastes does not mean we are company shills...!

I tried Skrimm, but I just think it SUCKS. Sorry!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 08:51 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:23:
Im pretty sure that we will see a Doom4 at some point, its a no brainer for Zenimax and id. However the quality of the game will definitely be very questionable to say the least.

I'd rather see a Doom Reboot.

Unlike the mods out there... a professional modern remake of Doom 1 and 2 in their latest engine (fixed,of course).

It probably wouldn't sell for $60, but it might get them pointed in the right direction to go back to their roots.

43. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 08:09 vrok

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:48:
Wesp5 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:11:
In my opinion RAGE is the best game id ever did and with it's quest structure it is closer to games like Skyrim than anything id had done before. Sadly the megatextures made too many problems on low end systems while at the same time killing off possible mods, but with the right system RAGE looks absolutely beautiful and the characters are the best since Bloodlines, which includes everything RPG from Bethesda!
Could not agree more. RAGE is a masterpiece, the gunplay is second to none. The characters are so under rated.
Brilliant sarcasm. *applause*

Seriously, how much money did you guys get for writing these comments? Where do I apply for a job?

42. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 08:05 RaZ0r!

Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:30:
See, this is just crazy. What pockets? Their pockets are turned inside out and hanging outside their pants.

True dat

41. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 07:48 netnerd85

Wesp5 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:11:
In my opinion RAGE is the best game id ever did and with it's quest structure it is closer to games like Skyrim than anything id had done before. Sadly the megatextures made too many problems on low end systems while at the same time killing off possible mods, but with the right system RAGE looks absolutely beautiful and the characters are the best since Bloodlines, which includes everything RPG from Bethesda!
Could not agree more. RAGE is a masterpiece, the gunplay is second to none. The characters are so under rated.

40. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 07:44 zombiefan

id = George Lucas. They got lucky early on with a few hits, sank their money and effort into the technology behind the scenes (FPS engines, ILM, THX) but then have petered out into has-beens.  

39. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 07:30 Beamer

RaZ0r! wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:13:
id should not have sold out, that's a no brainer. They should reach into their pockets and buy themselves out of that hole.

See, this is just crazy. What pockets? Their pockets are turned inside out and hanging outside their pants.

Why do you think they sold out?
They had gone 9 years without releasing a game. What business can go 9 years without releasing a new product? Even their licensing business had dried up.
When they finally did release a new product it pretty much tanked. 9 year development time and it tanked.

id has no money.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 07:23 InBlack

Although I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Quake, I disagree. At least as far as the following goes; campaign, singleplayer, story, atmosphere: Doom > Quake.

For Multiplayer: Quake >= Doom (obviously, although dueling was best in Doom2 Map1 )

In any case, Doom is the father of all FPS shooters. (Lets say that Wolf3d is the grandfather). Its world/story is better impregnated in the consciousness of gamers and casuals alike (how many hollywood movies has Quake got?). Its the smarter IP to develop from a purely business point of view.

Im pretty sure that we will see a Doom4 at some point, its a no brainer for Zenimax and id. However the quality of the game will definitely be very questionable to say the least.

I have a nifty blue line!

37. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 07:13 RaZ0r!

id should not have sold out, that's a no brainer. They should reach into their pockets and buy themselves out of that hole.

They need to forget DOOM and get back to Quake. Multiplayer Quake. QuakeWorld-Quake 2-Lithium 2-Q3Test-good old days-except new Quake.

Maybe then Quakecon would mean something?

Seriously what is Quakecon now? They play Quake Live? How old is that? As old as the day Quake III Arena shipped that's how old.

36. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 07:11 Wesp5

Of course all of this won't be needed for a DOOM game and looking at it in retrospection, DOOM3 was "Call of Doom" already, if only with a little backtracking here and there, so id would have nothing to loose!

35. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 05:42 InBlack

Well I have to say a few things about this, since Doom2 is my all time favorite FPS of all time. First of all from the article, this was after the first reboot of Doom4:

At one point, a source told me, the Doom 4 team had a big meeting in which company leaders talked about what Doom meant to them. John Carmack got up in front of everyone and said something like, "Doom means two things: demons and shotguns."

Why didnt they just stick to this? Well two things IMO. Rage. Zenimax. Thats it. id is not the dev house it used to be, it ceased to be anything other than a subsidiary the moment they sold out. Just like every single other well established dev. Its the crappy reality that most fanbois dont want to face but thats it. iD in name only.

I have a nifty blue line!

34. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 05:23 OpticNerve

I kind of see it as a lose/lose situation for both id Software and Zenimax. Simply put, I really doubt that a Doom game that harkens back to the classic Doom 1 and 2 style of games would sell spectacularly in this era of gaming. At least not "Skyrim well."

There have been some FPS that have tried to mimic the fast-paced/mass-monster killing feeling of the older Doom games such as Painkiller and Serious Sam and those sold well enough but I don't think they were huge blockbusters. And if Zenimax does get their way and makes this into a "Call of Doom" type of FPS, fans of the old-school gameplay of Doom 1 and 2 are just going to absolutely hate it. The one time that id Software tried to do something "different" with a new ip, resulted in RAGE (no pun intended) and we all know how that turned out.

Either way, I think that id Software is pretty much fucked at this point. They really can't please anyone at all in their current situation.

But who knows. Maybe they'll pull a magic rabbit out of their hat and this new Doom 4 game'll be amazing and what id Software needed to keep them from this downward spiral of lackluster games.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2013, 05:33.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

33. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 01:14 deqer

Jerykk wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 23:47:
Not really sure what the point of another Doom game is. After D3, the series has lost most of its value to longtime fans and it never had any value to newer players. I'd much rather see a new, multiplayer-only Quake game. Hell, a new Commander Keen would be more exciting than another Doom game. Maybe even a new Hexen/Heretic game. id/Zenimax own the IP now.

All the more reason to just take the original classic doom and re-hash it, to the same quality as that guys' deviantart 9700x7100 resolution screenshot (below). With remaster music, and such, and with more emphasis multi-player and co-op.

Bring back the sprite art games! True detail is in the sprites! not 3d models.

32. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 00:48 Razumen

Rea1One wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 23:59:
A Hexen 3 or Heretic 3 would be great, but wouldn't want Quake 5 to be multiplayer only tho.

Wrong devs, Ravensoft made those ones, and just like id, it's quite unlikely they'll ever go back and properly revisit the franchises that made them popular...

To me it sounds like Zenimax don't really understand what will make a good Doom game and are just trying to ape other industry successes-pretty much always a recipe for failure. All Doom needs is a fun, fast paced and simple SP experience with great multiplayer and even better mod support-Ironically the one thing that makes Skyrim actually worth it on PC. Unless id sticks to their guns, I really don't see this happening.

31. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 00:36 Steele Johnson

Please, let it die already.  

30. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 00:09 El Pit

Zenimax: So, how is Doom 4 coming along?
id: Great. We got this new engine, now with teratextures, and it's awesome. Wanna play the alpha?
Zenimax: Sure.
[A few minutes later.]
Zenimax: What the hell? It's dark. Everything is dark. Pitch black, actually. Where are the great graphics?
id: They're there, we promise!
Zenimax: Okay, so, where's the flashlight?
id: What? No no no, we want this to be and stay dark and creepy.
Zenimax: WHAT?! So you made a great engine, but nobody will be able to see what you did with it?
id: Yeah, the player love that. We have experience, we know!
Zenimax: And what was that, where I went into that small EMPTY room, and as soon as I turned around, looking for the door out, the demon materialised out of nowhere behind me?
id: Yeah, wasn't that great? And did you notice that even in the pc port, everything makes you feel that you should plug in a game pad to play the game? Aren't you proud of us?
Zenimax: You're dead. D-E-A-D.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

29. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 00:08 Jackplug

If it is gonna go down the same route as rage, then I guess its all over. Rage was one of the most poorest designs ever, poor graphical mistakes and flaws with drivers nowhere near perfect.

They need to step back from graphical perfection and give us something we can play, have fun and compete with.

28. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 00:00 MajorD

I would venture a guess that they rebooted DOOM 4 because it was going down the same development path as RAGE did due to mostly the same development team and its Director. And after the entire backlash from how terrible RAGE was, all its poor design decisions, and how bad it performed on the PC, it was a smart move to reboot it. Maybe, just maybe, they finally woke up. Time will tell…..

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2013, 00:07.

27. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 23:59 Rea1One

A Hexen 3 or Heretic 3 would be great, but wouldn't want Quake 5 to be multiplayer only tho.  

26. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 3, 2013, 23:47 Jerykk

Not really sure what the point of another Doom game is. After D3, the series has lost most of its value to longtime fans and it never had any value to newer players. I'd much rather see a new, multiplayer-only Quake game. Hell, a new Commander Keen would be more exciting than another Doom game. Maybe even a new Hexen/Heretic game. id/Zenimax own the IP now.  

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo