Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

LucasArts Closed

Disney has shut down seminal computer game developer LucasArts, reports Kotaku, saying over 150 jobs have been lost amid the cancellation of Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313. They attribute this to a reliable source, and a confirmation can be found on GameInformer, where they have a comment from a representative from LucasFilm saying the cancellation of Star Wars 1313 is not absolute, as they will be looking to license games like that planned action/adventure in the future. "It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans. We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production... They're evaluating everything. There's always a possibility that it [Star Wars 1313] can still come out via licensing," the rep told them. "It's super sad. It's a terrible day. I want to make sure everyone realizes that there still will be Star Wars games out there."

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

37. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:19 mag

saluk wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 15:59:
Disney: can we get some of the old LA classics on gog now - where they belong?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:15 Beamer

Verno wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:07:
I'd like to see Rockstar make a Star Wars game so maybe this won't turn out so bad after all. Telltale with some of those old LucasArts adventure IPs would be nice too.

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I'd play both of these ideas.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:11 commonperson

zombiefan wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 15:45:
You have to be a pretty dense, stupid motherfucker to screw up LucasArts. A studio with some of the best, most cherished games ever to grace the PC. Fuck...all the hard work was done; the gameplay was already there. All you had to do was update it with today's technology. A goddamn CHIMP could have done it.

Sadder still is these fucktards will walk away with their bonuses. *shakes head*

You do realize it was Lucas who screwed up LucasArts not Disney. They basically bought the entire bread basket and noticed the rotten loaf in the basket and tossed it out. Basically it was a situation where it would cost them more to turn it in to a viable entity then it would to license out material to third party (which is what is in line with extant coporate policy). I can't say I blame them, mind you I PERSONALLY would have done something different but I am a fan and not a businessman and there in lies the rub.

34. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:07 Verno

I'd like to see Rockstar make a Star Wars game so maybe this won't turn out so bad after all. Telltale with some of those old LucasArts adventure IPs would be nice too.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

33. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:00 Riker

Wow... a historic day. LucasArts came out with some outstanding games in the 90s, but I'm having a hard time remembering the last time I played a good LucasArts game. They played fast and loose with that Star Wars license, which is a real shame.  

32. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:59 saluk

Disney: can we get some of the old LA classics on gog now - where they belong?  

31. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:59 DangerDog

Drayth wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:47:
That sucks, I was actually looking forward to 1313.

maybe, until you actually got to play it and found it to be nothing but a linear short game with a lackluster story.

I still think their "demo" was a total B.S. target render of what they wished the game would play like.

Almost all of Lucasarts favorite games were made by out of studio companies, one can assume that the licensing fees would be so high that it would be in the realm of extreme risk to take on making a Star Wars game. Until it's proven that the next Star Wars film can bring the fans back around I wouldn't expect anyone willing to take that step, Star Wars and Indiana Jones seem very toxic right now.

Disney is mostly known for pump-and-dump game development, even if they handed over the license for Star Wars to DICE to make a proper battlefront game I wouldn't expect them to understand the benefits of long term support.

30. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:58 TangledThorns

This sucks but if it means Disney releases better Star Wars games then I may be OK with this.  

29. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:56 avianflu

George Lucas is retiring and jettisoning everything he was -- in one way or another -- keeping afloat.  

28. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:48 Gnolt

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:50:
Not sure why we're mourning. All Disney did was technically finish what Lucas did years ago.

What was the last good LucasArts game?
What was the last any LucasArts game?

It's been dead for years.

totally agree - good move Disney now license some of those IPs and I might buy more of your stock

27. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:45 zombiefan

You have to be a pretty dense, stupid motherfucker to screw up LucasArts. A studio with some of the best, most cherished games ever to grace the PC. Fuck...all the hard work was done; the gameplay was already there. All you had to do was update it with today's technology. A goddamn CHIMP could have done it.

Sadder still is these fucktards will walk away with their bonuses. *shakes head*

26. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:45 theyarecomingforyou

I'm surprised that LucasArts lasted as long as it did. It hadn't put out decent games in years, despite sitting on some of the best intellectual properties out there. I hope that this leads to other developers being given the opportunity to work on games.

It's a shame that Star Wars 1313 was cancelled as that looked quite promising but given the calibre of games put out recently it was probably for the best.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

25. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:44 NegaDeath

A disappointing end to a classic studio but all is not grim. Even in the golden days they outsourced quite a bit to external devs like Raven or Totally Games. And all the talent that handled the internally developed stuff moved to other developers anyways. With the terrible management out of the way we just might have better chances of seeing old series come back.  

24. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:36 Efflixi

End of an era... granted that era was getting "worse" but still...  

23. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:27 Zarkonis

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 15:08:
Well if it wasn't for the exorbitant fees charged by LA, SWG would still be in existence and of course we can thank them for the destruction of such with the release of the nge version.

Good riddance!
Amen to that. *unfurls the Tempest banner*

Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

22. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:27 wtf_man

Gotta agree with Beamer on this one.

The folks that made the great LucasArts games have been long gone.

Maybe Double Fine can finally buy the Grim Fandango license, now, and do an enhanced edition, reboot, or something.

21. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:22 yuastnav

Hopefully someone else will make Jedi Knight 3, Republic Commando 2 and Knights of the old Republic 3 then, but I doubt it.

[edit]
Yes I know that LucasArts only published them and that JK2/JKA were made by Raven and KOTOR by Obsidian/Bioware and so on.

20. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:20 SimplyMonk

The fact that the article used the Grim Fandango logo for the article made my brain briefly think "A NEW GRIM FANDANGO GAME?!?!?!" before the actual words of the article hit my consciousness and then died.

:C

19. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:18 NKD

This is great news for gamers. Not so much for employees, but useless studio wasting great IPs, now Disney will farm it out to, hopefully competent, developers.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

18. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:18 Ratty

Epic Jabba!  

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo