Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

LucasArts Closed

Disney has shut down seminal computer game developer LucasArts, reports Kotaku, saying over 150 jobs have been lost amid the cancellation of Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313. They attribute this to a reliable source, and a confirmation can be found on GameInformer, where they have a comment from a representative from LucasFilm saying the cancellation of Star Wars 1313 is not absolute, as they will be looking to license games like that planned action/adventure in the future. "It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans. We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production... They're evaluating everything. There's always a possibility that it [Star Wars 1313] can still come out via licensing," the rep told them. "It's super sad. It's a terrible day. I want to make sure everyone realizes that there still will be Star Wars games out there."

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

57. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:24 Nighthawk

Maybe we can get Bethesda doing a SW RPG, could you imagine seeing the battle of hoth from a FPS POV?
Can't think of who I would want in charge of the next gen X-Wing / TIE Fighter game though.

The possibilities if they open themselves to licensing are excellent (and profitable), but also scary (with the wrong dev).

Too bad for the 150 suddenly unemployed people though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:20 Beamer

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:34:
Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:20:
Rattlehead wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:19:
Welp, there goes any hopes of a proper kotor sequel. Thanks Disney.

Uh... how so?

LucasArts didn't make them.
Because Disney is a shit company that like all the other swine of the industry sees no profit in traditional games anymore and believes all the money is in micro transactions, F2P and mobile games. I highly doubt they will give EA, Bioware or Obsidian the rights to another large production AAA game, especially on a scale of something like KoToR or ToR.

I truly believe the future of Star Wars games are the lego series, upcoming movie tie ins, and shit facebook games. You can kiss goodbye high production Star Wars games, because Disney doesn't believe in that kind of shit. Hell I don't even think we will SEE another Star Wars game until the next Abrahms movie is out.

Anyway, two responses:
1) And this is different than LucasArts over the past decade... how?
2) RTFA. “After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,"

Disney: we don't want to own studios, it makes more sense for us to license.
Rattlehead: NO WAY WILL DISNEY LICENSE THAT IP TO PEOPLE THAT WANT TO PAY MONEY FOR IT!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

55. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:18 Orogogus

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:16:
Orogogus wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:11:

Uh... how so?

Because Disney is a shit company that like all the other swine of the industry sees no profit in traditional games anymore and believes all the money is in micro transactions, F2P and mobile games. I highly doubt they will give EA, Bioware or Obsidian the rights to another large production AAA game, especially on a scale of something like KoToR or ToR.

I truly believe the future of Star Wars games are the lego series, upcoming movie tie ins, and shit facebook games. You can kiss goodbye high production Star Wars games, because Disney doesn't believe in that kind of shit. Hell I don't even think we will SEE another Star Wars game until the next Abrahms movie is out.

What do you even know about Disney as a gaming company? I mean, what is any of this based on?

You must be new, Beamer thinks he knows everything about everything when it comes to the game industry.

It's Rattlehead here, though.

I mean, Kingdom Hearts is a big budget game series, and as far as I know Disney's still on board there.

54. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:18 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:16:

Uh... how so?

What do you even know about Disney as a gaming company? I mean, what is any of this based on?

You must be new, Beamer thinks he knows everything about everything when it comes to the game industry.

Stop being a dolt, he wasn't talking to me. But feel free to search +DIS +Layoffs.

-------------

53. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:16 RollinThundr

Uh... how so?

52. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:16 dheer

I know it's been a while since they released a great game but it still feels a bit like my childhood got punched in the gut.

1313 looked interesting. I was hoping it would have been like the bounty hunter game. What a shame.

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

51. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:13 noman

I remember trying out Indy&LastCrusade (both adventure and action versions), first in 16-color and then 256 color mode. Calling Lucasfilms hint line would be extremely expensive, as I was not in US, so I had to rely on Scorpia's hint columns in CGW. It brings back a lot of memories.

Yes, they had been a shell of their former selves, but still it's a sad development. At least, the last two Monkey Island remakes were lovingly created and my thanks to the folks at LA who green-lighted the project and those who created the two games.

50. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:11 Orogogus

Uh... how so?

49. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:10 Orogogus

Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:50:
This could be good news. Maybe Double Fine can get their mitts on some IPs - even licensing - and do a new Grim Fandango, Day of the Testicle, etc. Someone could even take a stab at Outlaws. LA did nothing with these great IPs in 20 years so fuck them, but Disney is at least smart enough to know they can still profit from them.

These games, plus Full Throttle, are all titles that I think should be left alone. They told their stories and tied everything up neatly. Not every IP needs to be beaten to death. Revisiting Grim Fandango in particular seems like the worst goddamned idea.

48. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:09 Creston

Wow... They may have sucked ass for the last decade or so, but there was still enormous value in LucasArts. Disney seems to think they can get 4 billion dollars worth of value out of new films and toys alone?

Sad news. I was hoping for Disney to treat LA well, and we'd see some good games come out of there again.

Creston

47. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 17:06 Optional nickname

I don't know the whole history, other than the fact that LucasArts had their heads up their ass when it came to reacting to a player / fanbase request. But this is high time it's done, and what I do hope to see from this, is that Disney and Pixar, and whatever owned studios, open a gaming development studio, that can work close with UbiSoft and the likes, or perhaps just remain on their own, and make all new games, for young and old, starting out fresh.

They have the cash to do this. They can get all that cash back, and then some, and create lots of jobs.

46. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:51 jdreyer

Have you played KOTOR II with the restored content mod?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

45. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:50 Cutter

This could be good news. Maybe Double Fine can get their mitts on some IPs - even licensing - and do a new Grim Fandango, Day of the Testicle, etc. Someone could even take a stab at Outlaws. LA did nothing with these great IPs in 20 years so fuck them, but Disney is at least smart enough to know they can still profit from them.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

44. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:48 jdreyer

saluk wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 15:59:
Disney: can we get some of the old LA classics on gog now - where they belong?

Actually, THIS. B/C you know the community will mod it for free and we'll be able to play an updated version.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

43. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:46 Wildone

Sadly it would...

It would be stuck in 3rd person view with motion controllers being the main focus.

42. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:37 DangerDog

JayDeath wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 16:30:
So silly. All LucasArts has to do is listen to the fanbase, release a reboot of Tie Fighter and watch the cash roll in!

It would be stuck in 3rd person view with motion controllers being the main focus.

41. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:34 Rattlehead

Uh... how so?

40. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:30 JayDeath

So silly. All LucasArts has to do is listen to the fanbase, release a reboot of Tie Fighter and watch the cash roll in!

Steam: BenRichards

39. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:20 Beamer

Uh... how so?

-------------

38. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 16:19 Rattlehead

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo