Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Worlds of Magic Kickstarter

Indie developer Wastelands Interactive (Strategic War in Europe, Time of Fury, Time of Wrath) announces a Kickstarter for Worlds of Magic, a throwback 4X fantasy game that they call a "spiritual successor to Master of Magic, a DOS game so old it predates this site (there was talk of Stardock reviving the series almost ten years ago). A Worlds of Magic website is live as home to the project, which is looking to raise 30,000 for development. Here's word:

Master of Magic is a true gem among strategy games, it offered almost unlimited possibilities for enjoyable play. It gave players the freedom to create fantastic worlds and release the power of magic. Worlds of Magic will follow the same exciting path and share the spirit of that genuine classic. Although the game has been under development for almost a year, the team has recently decided to focus exclusively on it, creating a Kickstarter project which has been launched on April 2nd, seeking funds to complete this exciting title. Worlds of Magic will be available, according to our estimations, in January 2014.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 09:52 doomtrader

Stack of doom is something what we would plan to avoid.
First thing is that you will be limited to 9 units in one Army, second thing is that the spells can really affect the battle, third is that you can draw enemy to more friendly territory.

Thanks for your kind words, and we are hoping that you will help us spread the word and back the project if you like it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 23:03 z0dd

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:27:
Just make Master of Magic with better graphics. Leave everything else exactly the same, and you'll have the perfect fantasy turn-based 4X game.

(actually, it needs one improvement: The enemy needs to learn how to debuff/dispel your buffs. Otherwise heroes get overpowered way too quickly.)

They would also need to address the many other broken strategies that ruined gameplay, the most glaring being the STACK-OF-DOOM! This one was especially problematic in multi-player games (wonderful hack developed by an end user) that caused the game to devolve into rampaging SODs destroying everything but other SODs. The game was always won by the victor of the inevitable SOD battle.

Fun game, but it did have game-breaking design flaws.

11. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 19:17 Keith

I'm in. Looks pretty basic at this point, but I really like the idea.  

10. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 17:00 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 13:52:
They've self-funded this mostly, the $50K is just to get them over the hump. Also the screenshots are from a pre-alpha build, not mockups, and look pretty good, IMO.

If that's so then they should be showing a lot more media. 3 screens of combat don't say anything about the rest of the game. If they can put for a lot more before the KS ends in that case I'll go in.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 13:52 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 10:07:

First off 50k is exceedingly low to do justice to a game like MoM. Second they only seem to have 2 or 3 screens of concept art? Nothing reflecting the gameworld itself and a ton of other unanswered questions. Much as I'd love nothing more to see a proper remake of MoM I can't really bring myself to fund this given all the variables. I hope they make it and I'm entirely wrong about this because I'll buy it in a heartbeat of that's the case, but it doesn't look that way so far.

They've self-funded this mostly, the $50K is just to get them over the hump. Also the screenshots are from a pre-alpha build, not mockups, and look pretty good, IMO.

Looking at reviews of their previous games, they've delivered solid, but not stellar stuff in the past. For example.

I must say I like their pitch. They have some cool ideas about their world and gameplay.

The only strange thing is that the guy in the vid, Aaron, sounds like he's from Texas, the KS is in Br. pounds, and the KS says the company is from Poland. Since they've shipped a bunch of games, I'm sure they're legit, just wondering if it's like the new ROTT team: they're located all over the world and work remotely.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 13:23 jdreyer

I still have my MoM CD ROM (I think it was the first game I ever bought on CD ROM) and even reinstalled and played it a couple of years ago. Was still so much fun, although it definitely looks its age. My biggest complaint about the original is that the AI cheats at the higher levels, attacking you with units in turn six that it shouldn't be able to get until turn 20 due to build cost, etc.

Definitely one of the best strategy games ever made.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 13:05 Orogogus

I would LOVE a Master of Magic remake, but every time someone promises that, it winds up being a turd.

Just make Master of Magic with better graphics. Leave everything else exactly the same, and you'll have the perfect fantasy turn-based 4X game.

(actually, it needs one improvement: The enemy needs to learn how to debuff/dispel your buffs. Otherwise heroes get overpowered way too quickly.)

Creston

I don't feel Master of Magic is hard to look at or anything, even with all the pixels, and if it went high resolution there's a very good chance I wouldn't like the look.

Master of Magic is available on GOG, so if the only acceptable path is to remake the old game with new graphics then no one should try.

6. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 12:56 Will W

Old Man, you seek the Spell of Mastery......  

5. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 11:31 Cutter

I would LOVE a Master of Magic remake, but every time someone promises that, it winds up being a turd.

Creston

Yeah, pretty much that. No need to reinvent the wheel here, just bring some sweet new visuals to an otherwise near perfect game.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 11:27 Creston

Creston

3. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 11:17 Mingus

Well, we have Eador: Genesis, which is getting a facelift and both it and the facelift are being sold by GOG. Very much influenced by MOM, CIV, etc. It is quite good if you can get past the 2-D sprites.

Also, we have the latest release from Stardock, available via Steam, for their Fallen Enchantress series. I have yet to play the latest incarnation, but I have read and heard good things, although I have played and liked Enchantress. They finally appear to have gotten it right.

Glad to see we still have some 4X turn based projects in the works.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2013, 12:00.

2. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 10:30 Baenwort

In the video they have posted on their website and kickstarter it shows some ingame artwork and an alpha build of the tactical map. Also, if you look into their prior games they are all turn based strategy games.

I'm on the fence about backing mostly because of the foreign currency fees and the mention of DLC in their backer packages that makes me worried that they are planning to get the basic game finished and working and then use the DLC model to finish the game.

I wish more Kickstarters would understand that some of us actually approach it as an investment and want to see their funding model and scope of vision.

1. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 10:07 Cutter

Master of Magic is avialable at GoG. Pick it up if you've never played it. It is still one of my favourite games of all time - logged countless hours with it - and have dreamed about someone updating it for a long time now. However, this doesn't appear to be it...at least so far.

First off 50k is exceedingly low to do justice to a game like MoM. Second they only seem to have 2 or 3 screens of concept art? Nothing reflecting the gameworld itself and a ton of other unanswered questions. Much as I'd love nothing more to see a proper remake of MoM I can't really bring myself to fund this given all the variables. I hope they make it and I'm entirely wrong about this because I'll buy it in a heartbeat of that's the case, but it doesn't look that way so far.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo