Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers?

GamesIndustry International points the way to a reddit thread about a consumer complaint about Sega Europe and the use of misleading footage of Aliens: Colonial Marines to market the shooter sequel, which failed to live up to what was seen in the trailers. The thread links to this image purported to be a response from the U.K.'s Advertising Standards Authority saying they have upheld this complaint, and will enforce disclaimers to accompany these trailers warning of the discrepancy. The letter claims this information would be reflected on the ASA website as of a week ago, but this does not seem to be the case. A visit to the SEGA Europe YouTube Channel does show the Colonial Marines trailers there have a sort of disclaimer as of this writing: "The trailer footage shown uses the in-game engine, and represents a work in progress." It's not clear when this was added, or if it is to satisfy an ASA demand, but these blurbs are not included with the same clips on the Sega of America YouTube channel.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 4, 2013, 06:55 Quinn

I always thought Gearbox got too much credit with Borderlands, the game that was all about co-op yet the only thing that boring game featured was shooting eachothers' targets.

And then there was that gameplay footage trailer from A:CM that everyone keeps referring back to. Sure, it looked better than the final product, but it still looked like utter... UTTER crap to me. It perfectly portrayed the piece of shit the game was going to be and I'm surprised anyone paid hard money for it in the first place. True, people were conned... but the blame is a tiiiiny bit on the consumer himself.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 23:31 Redmask

He doesn't, he lives in his own little universe where hes been unjustly maligned from indignant, entitled gamers who should be happy that he conned them into buying it.  

33. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 20:23 nin

Fantaz wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 20:20:
If Gearbox thinks they can make as forget about their Aliens Colonial Marines game they can think again... never forget. Boycott Gearbox! Just a 3rd rate developer that got lucky with Borderlands, but luck no more.

I love the way Randy gets all pissy on twitter when people bring it up...you get the distinct impression he doesn't think they did anything wrong.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 20:20 Fantaz

If Gearbox thinks they can make us forget about their Aliens Colonial Marines game, they can think again... never forget.

Boycott Gearbox! Just a 3rd rate developer that got lucky with Borderlands, but luck no more. They should go back to doing expansions.

31. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 18:43 bigspender

Moog wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 10:14:
Surely a "this is *way* better than what you suckers are going to buy" would have been more appropriate.

"Trailers depict footage of the demo version" could be taken to mean that the final release is actually better than the trailers!

it would only be logical to assume that a game would get better as it nears release, not worse. And at the very least contain the demo into the full product.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

30. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 18:25 Krovven

There is more than one video out there with major gameplay differences, showing the labs and other story stuff.

I'd still like to know the whole story and the truth about what happened and by who. Doubt we'll ever get it though. But from what I can piece together, Gearbox had done some work, passed it over to TimeGate and they fucked it all up. Multiplayer (and Bug Hunt) was done by Nerve and is quite good. The post-release patch work Gearbox has done, has also been good.

After the 4gig patch a couple weeks ago, the game looks a lot better and closer to that of these videos.

Bug Hunt is a blast, and would recommend people give it a shot if the game (and DLC) hits a price point they are comfortable with. Bug Hunt is basically the gameplay of Nazi Zombies from the CoD games.

29. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 15:21 jdreyer

nin wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:08:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:04:
Does anyone know which trailers he's talking about? There was a demo trailer 1.5 years ago that looked good, but the slew of trailers they released right before the game came out all looked like ass (as we were all so fond of pointing out at the time), and matched up with the gameplay footage I saw after release. There didn't seem to be any great gulf between the two.

I don't have the link in front of me, but there's a YT video that specifically shows the difference between the two. And it's pretty noticeable.

edit: Found it

Right, that was the one where the trailer from 1.5 years ago didn't match up with the game on release. And if that was the only footage, I'd say they had a point. But there was trailer after trailer after trailer that came out right before the game's release that showed exactly what it would look like, and it wasn't pretty. There was no attempt to deceive or mislead here, IMO.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 14:48 Frags4Fun

Hellbinder wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:10:
after reading this i watched angry joe's review.

It is freaking Hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGX2WE4QUw8

Angry Joe's review is what has kept me from even considering getting the game. I'm a big fan of Angry Joe now.

27. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 14:10 Hellbinder

after reading this i watched angry joe's review.

It is freaking Hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGX2WE4QUw8

The Whales name is Bob.

26. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 14:08 nin

jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:04:
Does anyone know which trailers he's talking about? There was a demo trailer 1.5 years ago that looked good, but the slew of trailers they released right before the game came out all looked like ass (as we were all so fond of pointing out at the time), and matched up with the gameplay footage I saw after release. There didn't seem to be any great gulf between the two.

I don't have the link in front of me, but there's a YT video that specifically shows the difference between the two. And it's pretty noticeable.

edit: Found it

25. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 14:04 jdreyer

24. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 13:59 jdreyer

TangledThorns wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 10:31:
I preorded the game. I'm still afraid to install it. FUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

Sounds like they're still patching it. Even though it looks like ass (relatively), if they do a good job patching it up it might be worth a playthough?

23. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 13:46 SpectralMeat

We are all part of the "me too brah" BRINK club  

Steam: SpectralMeat

22. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 13:31 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 13:01:
BRINK did burn a lot of people. Myself included.

Yep, a lot of us got in on that one...

21. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 13:01 SpectralMeat

BRINK did burn a lot of people. Myself included.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

20. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 12:59 MajorD

nin wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:44:

I laughed, simply because pretty much everyone, myself included, has been burned at least once... it happens. You hope for the best, but sometimes you get burned. All you can do is remember the experience the next time around.

Agreed. BRINK was what did it for me, as I haven't pre-ordered a game since.

19. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 12:27 Verno

Brink was the game that made me say no more preorders unless its a brand with people behind it who I trust implicitly. I don't care what preorder crap they offer, 9/10 its just not worth it when you could just wait or get it cheaper. Sometimes you can find good deals though, someone here linked a Tomb Raider/Bioshock combo thing that was like $53 so I took a chance on that because hey, $26 for each ain't bad.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

18. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 12:24 Creston

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:25:
$15... maybe, but I find it better to just wait the 6 months until the price comes down that much, anyway.

And in most cases, it takes nowhere near that long. Crysis 3 was on sale for 40ish dollars a week after release.

Creston

17. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 nin

SlimRam wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:34:
Hehe I got a good laugh from this is morning thanks

I laughed, simply because pretty much everyone, myself included, has been burned at least once... it happens. You hope for the best, but sometimes you get burned. All you can do is remember the experience the next time around.

16. Re: SEGA Scolded Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailers? Apr 3, 2013, 11:34 SlimRam

Hehe I got a good laugh from this is morning thanks

I am Susan Ivanova. Daughter of Andre & Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance & the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth. I am death incarnate, & the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo