Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 4, 2013, 12:37 Creston

ASeven wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 18:01:
nin wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:17:
Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:16:
Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:05:
saluk wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 15:53:
KS wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 15:15:
Can I use a mouse and keyboard in 3D games? Or am I limited to a console controller, which is like limiting a surgeon to boxing gloves?

Ah, who am I kidding? Even with mouse, you're still limited to a handful of powers and CLICK RIGHT TRIGGER FAST TO BREAK FEEE CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK IT CLICK WEEEE WE'RE HAVING FUN NOW!

If I sound furious like I want to murder people, yes.

I want to break free

Oh how I want to be free.

But life still goes on.

Creston

I don't want to live alone...

God knows got to make it on my own.

So baby can't you see... I got to break free.

Keyboard solo

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 18:01 ASeven

nin wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 17:17:
Can I use a mouse and keyboard in 3D games? Or am I limited to a console controller, which is like limiting a surgeon to boxing gloves?

Ah, who am I kidding? Even with mouse, you're still limited to a handful of powers and CLICK RIGHT TRIGGER FAST TO BREAK FEEE CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK IT CLICK WEEEE WE'RE HAVING FUN NOW!

I want to break free

But life still goes on.

Creston

God knows got to make it on my own.

42. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 3, 2013, 17:54 HorrorScope

The comments about Looking Glass make me say:

1. They were ahead of their time.
2. Gamers failed them, they didn't fail us.

41. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 17:19 Creston

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 13:33:
People flipped out and said he was an asshole because they didn't understand what he wrote.

"This isn't a sad day, it's an economically realistic day.

Anybody who said that the closing of Looking Glass studios wasn't a sad day is just about the biggest fucking asshole in the gaming industry.

When the day comes that your studio closes, Tim, we'll say the same thing. Asshole.

Creston

40. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 17:17 nin

I want to break free

But life still goes on.

Creston

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 17:16 Creston

I want to break free

But life still goes on.

Creston

38. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 17:05 Cutter

I want to break free

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

37. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 15:53 saluk

I want to break free

36. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 15:16 jdreyer

Panickd wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:54:
Keep in mind this is from 2000. Tim was right, too. Making expensive, niche games isn't economically viable. This is why people stopped doing it. Now, 13 years later, we have ways for people to make inexpensive niche games, and niche games are rising rapidly.

Yes, and look where we are today. We have an industry awash in retreads and copies of copies of copies of what was, once upon a time, an innovative title (Epic is as guilty of this as anyone, it's their bread and butter these days) because that's what sells to the masses of humanity. I'm really not seeing those "cooler life forms" he talked about. It's become like the whole movie industry: there are Hollywood movies with tens of millions dollars worth of CGI effects in them that are sure to do hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office and then there are the smaller films that win tons of praise and lots of awards at film festivals (and the occasional Oscar) but will never really make anyone any real money. The difference is most people never hear about that second kind of movie unless one comes up for an Oscar but there aren't any Oscars in the gaming world.

It's true that the movie and game industries parallel each other closely these days. For every Michael Bay-style soulless blockbuster we get an equally soulless Call of Duty AAA game. Or you get indie darlings that play/watch great like Moon and FTL, but look like ass. So rare are movies and games where those two things come together like District 9 and Bioshock Infinite.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

35. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 15:16 Ozmodan

Considering the PS4 is about equivalent to my 3 year old PC you have to wonder what kind of PC hardware they use at Epic. Maybe they should upgrade some of their PC's.  

34. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 15:15 KS

33. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 15:10 Beamer

Panickd wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:54:
Keep in mind this is from 2000. Tim was right, too. Making expensive, niche games isn't economically viable. This is why people stopped doing it. Now, 13 years later, we have ways for people to make inexpensive niche games, and niche games are rising rapidly.

Yes, and look where we are today. We have an industry awash in retreads and copies of copies of copies of what was, once upon a time, an innovative title (Epic is as guilty of this as anyone, it's their bread and butter these days) because that's what sells to the masses of humanity. I'm really not seeing those "cooler life forms" he talked about. It's become like the whole movie industry: there are Hollywood movies with tens of millions dollars worth of CGI effects in them that are sure to do hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office and then there are the smaller films that win tons of praise and lots of awards at film festivals (and the occasional Oscar) but will never really make anyone any real money. The difference is most people never hear about that second kind of movie unless one comes up for an Oscar but there aren't any Oscars in the gaming world.

Cooler life forms are emerging.

We've moved pretty fully pretty recently into a world of small niche titles and huge AAA titles.

Given how good some of the games in each area are, I don't see this as a big problem. In the last 6 months I've played FTL, Hotline Miami, Dishonored, Saints Row 3, Orcs Must Die 2, BioShock Infinite, etc., and have trouble believing anyone having trouble finding good games to play.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 14:54 Panickd

31. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 14:44 Beamer

Ratty wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 14:39:
I remember that. Tim posted about how difficult the economic realities of running a studio are.
People flipped out and said he was an asshole because they didn't understand what he wrote.
I heard about the Looking Glass guys playing UT on their last day because they told that story in the context of that quote. As in this is a game we loved and admired so much this is what we chose to go out with. And then the quote. I guess they didn't understand what he wrote either because they were bitterly disappointed. Whatever truth there may have been it was still tasteless so soon after the closing.

It was a right idea conveyed incorrectly. Genius level computer programmers are rarely very tactful. Pretty much true for all.

His idea is right - there was a big change brewing and companies that didn't make big selling games couldn't afford to continue big budgets.

His opening statement, however, that it wasn't a sad day but an economic reality is unfortunate. It was both.

-------------

30. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 14:39 Ratty

I remember that. Tim posted about how difficult the economic realities of running a studio are.
I heard about the Looking Glass guys playing UT on their last day because they told that story in the context of that quote. As in this is a game we loved and admired so much this is what we chose to go out with. And then the quote. I guess they didn't understand what he wrote either because they were bitterly disappointed. Whatever truth there may have been it was still tasteless so soon after the closing.

29. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 14:36 Verno

I just want my shitty JRPGs, that's all I ask of consoles, anything else is a bonus  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 3, 2013, 14:11 jdreyer

Ratty wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:50:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:17:
I do see consoles with 8 gig of ram a huge win for pc games and have said so a dozen times.
Oh totally agree there. I've never been so excited about a console launch in like forever, even though I wouldn't get one. It's a huge huge win for PC gamers. Eventually. I just wonder how long it will take for us to reap the benefits.

Benefits should come to PC shortly after PS4 launch. Developers have had dev kits for years to work on, so there should be some games at launch, and some of those will be cross platform.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

27. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 14:05 El Pit

Without keyboard and mouse controls, the PS4 is not even close to being ANY gaming PC at all despite its other hardware.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

26. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 13:33 Beamer

Ratty wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 13:27:
Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 12:29:
Approximately one week after the PS4/720 are out, Epic's monkeys will be back to their "TEH PC IS PIRATEZ! FUCK TEH PC!" rhetoric.

They're the most predictable clowns in gaming history.

Creston
I played Unreal Tournament for hours a day, just about every day, for YEARS. What an awesome game that was. I remember when Looking Glass Studios closed, the employees talked about spending their last day playing Unreal Tournament together. Then whatsisname at Epic, Tim something posted a comment on Looking Glass's closure deriding a company made up of "MIT grads" and saying basically oh well, sink or swim, survival of the fittest, if you can't turn a profit you shouldn't be in the business. Tasteless. Then they released Unreal Tournament 2 and the magic was truly gone.

"This isn't a sad day, it's an economically realistic day. Looking Glass spent lots of money making innovative games that never sold well.

A really cool guy I know who used to work at Looking Glass had some insight into this: the company slogan may well have been "By MIT Grads, For MIT Grads". Think about that. Most of the stuff they did was way out of the realm of what most mainstream gamers wanted.

Being a niche company and making good, unusual styles of games is cool, but you have to be lean-and-mean in order to do that successfully. Pop Top (Railroad Tycoon) is a great example of success in a small genre.

But you can't be a niche company and have the kind of huge overhead and expenses that Looking Glass had.

Right now, an ugly shakeout has begun in the industry. Look at the stock market crash in shares of Activision, EA--that's Electronic Arts not Evil Avatar , Activision, Acclaim, GT, and Eidos. These guys no longer have the resources to fund the financial losers.

Projects and teams that are not producing profitable games are being axed. Origin's projects (minus UO) and Looking Glass are only the beginning. Some of the companies and teams that will take the axe damn well deserve it, and others are unfortuntely made up of really good guys who just haven't had the good fortune of producing hits.

This is the bit where the comet hits the earth and the dinosaurs die, but the way is cleared for cooler life forms to evolve."

-------------

25. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 13:27 Ratty

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 12:29:
Approximately one week after the PS4/720 are out, Epic's monkeys will be back to their "TEH PC IS PIRATEZ! FUCK TEH PC!" rhetoric.

They're the most predictable clowns in gaming history.

Creston
I played Unreal Tournament for hours a day, just about every day, for YEARS. What an awesome game that was. I remember when Looking Glass Studios closed, the employees talked about spending their last day playing Unreal Tournament together. Then whatsisname at Epic, Tim something posted a comment on Looking Glass's closure deriding a company made up of "MIT grads" and saying basically oh well, sink or swim, survival of the fittest, if you can't turn a profit you shouldn't be in the business. Tasteless. Then they released Unreal Tournament 2 and the magic was truly gone.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo