Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 13:18 ASeven

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 12:29:
Approximately one week after the PS4/720 are out, Epic's monkeys will be back to their "TEH PC IS PIRATEZ! FUCK TEH PC!" rhetoric.

They're the most predictable clowns in gaming history.

At least it won't be Cliffy B spouting that crap. But that crap will be spouted, no doubt about that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 12:29 Creston

Approximately one week after the PS4/720 are out, Epic's monkeys will be back to their "TEH PC IS PIRATEZ! FUCK TEH PC!" rhetoric.

They're the most predictable clowns in gaming history.

Creston

22. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 3, 2013, 12:22 HorrorScope

Ratty wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:50:
I just wonder how long it will take for us to reap the benefits.

As soon as the first next gen software uses more then 32 bit can handle in memory and is ported to a PC. Whatever that day is.

To the person above going off about 32 vs 64 and speed. I'm not sure many here think it is a speed thing. We just want to be able to address much more ram at once and/or not have our games limited to 512meg or ram because the last gen consoles were.

If Rein wanted to tell the whole story he could have mentioned. Ps4 is great and it will also allow pc's to move to the next level to. As games will not be able to take advantage of their 64 bit O/S.

21. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 12:22 Wallshadows

Perfect gaming PC of which generation would be my question especially when he throws around comparisons with a 32-bit OS.  

20. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 12:20 ASeven

Always the same thing, new console comes out, mainstream devs start kicking the PC crowd a bit in order to suck up to the console crowd. Pretty pathetic really, especially when it's bold-faced lies.  

19. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 12:12 Tanto Edge

The only console I'd consider buying at this point is the Ouya.
The only reason I would buy a 'next gen' console is for simulation games such as racing or flight sim; and upon that I'd only buy that much if I could also get a next gen G25 equivalent.
This in turn leads to drunk driving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz2B1AxkrPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

18. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 12:03 swedishfriend

Umbragen wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:35:
Trying to think of someone whose opinion I give less of a shit about...

Richard Garriott, maybe.

So two of the most influential people in gaming don't interest you? Why are you reading about games on the internet?

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 3, 2013, 11:50 Ratty

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:17:
I do see consoles with 8 gig of ram a huge win for pc games and have said so a dozen times.
Oh totally agree there. I've never been so excited about a console launch in like forever, even though I wouldn't get one. It's a huge huge win for PC gamers. Eventually. I just wonder how long it will take for us to reap the benefits.

16. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 11:32 Krizzen

As much as folks like to believe 64 bit applications are some magic switch for epic performance increases, it's just not true. Depending on the game's engine architecture, it could actually end up being *slower*. This isn't the case if a program is made with only 64 bit in mind, but most programs aren't.

Almost every game made today uses 32 bit floats to represent nearly every basic value in a game engine i.e. position of a player, velocity of a bullet, U and V coordinate of a bullet hole on a wall (32 bit float is programmer jargon for storage of a decimal number with a precision of about 9 decimal places). GPUs, up until the last year or so, have been purely 32 bit. So we've had a conflict of modern, snazzy 64 bit CPUs and OSes with crappy 32 bit graphics cards plugged in and even if your graphics card is 64 bit (and the game you're running!), you're likely still utilizing the lowest common denominator that is 32 bit. The programmers will err on the side of caution to ensure the users with 32 bit systems can still run their game.

Like any new technology, it takes a while for the world to catch up. This really can be a big deal in the long run because there's an awful lot of money in console gaming, and PC games would be silly to lag behind and continue being both 32 and 64 bit while consoles rock on into the new 64 bit age.

The real key point here is that if the developer can completely drop the notion of 32 bit and build around 64 bit architecture, games can and will run faster, address more memory, and have more precision in calculations. They will also be easier to develop (even in my development endeavors I encountered nasty 32 bit precision issues that were difficult to solve without "hacks"; they would just go away with 64 bit). Finally, graphics quality could improve as a result since 32 bits sometimes just isn't enough to do some really innovative GPU shader programming.

Epic might actually be right. This could be a game changer (literally), but it be mostly invisible to the end user.

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 3, 2013, 11:17 HorrorScope

Ratty wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 10:38:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:56:
I like how he focuses on 32 Bit Windows limitations as the big difference between the PC and PS4:

A. Most of us can go beyond that now but have been held back because of console memory limits.

B. Those that don't have 64 bit windows, will upgrade when truly needed.

He mentions most pc's are still 32 bit, I thought Win7-64 is now the dominant gaming o/s, no? I hope he's not being stupid counting all pc's in existence as 99% of those are made for gaming.
Actually, despite my skepticism when clicking the link (to see what Sony ass kissing thing Epic had to say), the memory limit is a good point. I hadn't thought about it before. It will be interesting to see how long it will take before 64-bit OSes will be required. And until then will 32-bit OSes be the lowest common denominator that limit games for a change? Will games released after the new console releases not be made for PCs because the number of 64-bit systems is still too small to be profitable? Steam Hardware survey lists 64-bit Windows 7 at 55% so I'm guessing that won't be the case. Also we have yet to see what the new XBox will bring to the party,

I disagree, the consoles has been the biggest limiter recently. The gaming population has and the rest will move to 64 bit happily when required. I do see consoles with 8 gig of ram a huge win for pc games and have said so a dozen times. I have no need for a console, but raising their standards raises ours. Using 32 bit windows as a limiter and a pc fault, to me isn't the reality of it now.

No the 64 bit hardcore market will not be too small, it will be nearly the same size it is now, mixed. Enough people wait for a reason to have to upgrade, this will be the last point to push the remainders over.

14. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 10:49 Beamer

ItBurn wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:52:
If it had full support for keyboard and mouse by sony and also by every developer, I might actually use a PS4.

Good thing it won't!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 3, 2013, 10:38 Ratty

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:56:
I like how he focuses on 32 Bit Windows limitations as the big difference between the PC and PS4:

A. Most of us can go beyond that now but have been held back because of console memory limits.

He mentions most pc's are still 32 bit, I thought Win7-64 is now the dominant gaming o/s, no? I hope he's not being stupid counting all pc's in existence as 99% of those are made for gaming.
Actually, despite my skepticism when clicking the link (to see what Sony ass kissing thing Epic had to say), the memory limit is a good point. I hadn't thought about it before. It will be interesting to see how long it will take before 64-bit OSes will be required. And until then will 32-bit OSes be the lowest common denominator that limit games for a change? Will games released after the new console releases not be made for PCs because the number of 64-bit systems is still too small to be profitable? Steam Hardware survey lists 64-bit Windows 7 at 55% so I'm guessing that won't be the case. Also we have yet to see what the new XBox will bring to the party,

12. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 10:30 Qbex .

Nothing new - mediocre console dev ass licking it's new target audience and spinning numbers for PR reasons. Any respectable PC dev would looked at steam hardware survey - 55% running Win7 64bit , majority surveyed pc's has 8Gb of ram already - months before PS4 launch. I hope
Epic's "brown same ol shit poping textures and no AA" engine will get ass kicked by competition this time around...

11. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 10:19 InBlack

So its not a perfect Blu-Ray reader? Oh no wait, thats the PS3. Sorry, my bad.  

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 10:17 Cutter

Epic has had their nose planted firmly up theirs and MS' asses so long now it's no surprise hearing this sort of bullshit. A perfect gaming PC...except when compared to an actual gaming PC.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 3, 2013, 09:56 HorrorScope

8. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 09:52 ItBurn

If it had full support for keyboard and mouse by sony and also by every developer, I might actually use a PS4.  

7. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 09:46 InBlack

nin wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:02:
PS4 is like 'a really perfect gaming PC,' says Epic VP.

What a wonderful selling point! So I can replace the video card every few years? And add more ram? Torrent? email?

Another epic fail from Epic.

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 09:35 Umbragen

Trying to think of someone whose opinion I give less of a shit about...

Richard Garriott, maybe.

5. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 09:19 ViRGE

Optional nickname wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:07:
I wonder how Sony is going to protect this Kernel and OS from being JailBroken and hacked to pieces to play all media content once again.
By not being stupid, I imagine. It was their screw-up with their initial implementation of ECDSA that led to this problem in the first place, after all. The PS3 as implemented is still secure after you throw out the systems with the hardcoded compromised key. Meanwhile with the PS4 Sony gets to start with a clean slate, as the bad keys don't affect them.

Of course they probably will implement a new security system just because (probably something similar to the Vita's), but from a security perspective their fixed ECDSA implementation for the PS3 is more than good enough. The underlying architecture won't change that.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo