Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay

The Kickstarter page for Torment: Tides of Numenera has word from inXile entertainment that their RPG will be delayed since the scope of the project increased so drastically due to all the funding they've received:

Many of you have asked if the unexpected support we have received will require us to push back the release date. While we do not yet know what our final development budget will be, we do know that we’ll need a few months past the December 2014 launch date we first proposed at $900,000. (We’ll provide more details about our schedule after we have time to complete our planning following the Kickstarter.) We thank you greatly for providing us enough resources to increase Torment’s scope and quality bar. It’s our plan to use funds to keep the team on the project longer, allowing us to design, iterate, and polish more, to make a game that truly lives up to the Torment name.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 4, 2013, 10:29 Mr. Tact

Argh! I couldn't resist, another $12 added for the Digital Numenera Torment Sourcebook. Quick end it before they add something else to the list!

Anxious

Edit: From their web-site: Physical Add-Ons(Require Physical Goods Tier or Digital Tier $45 or Above)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 4, 2013, 10:28 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:21:
Added the comics compilation and a T-shirt (my normal attire at work and elsewhere) -- total pledge up to $169. Clearly I am insane.

Just as an FYI, in past KS, if you wanted physical extras, you had to have a physical package (and not an all digital one, like I got - not sure what you picked). I want to say I read for torment that if you pledged over a certain amount, they'd cover shipping, even if your package was all digital, but I don't have the link in front of me (so I'm not positive).

And yeah, I totally agree about being insane. I keep eyeing the $350 physical package and telling myself "you ARE NOT spending $350 on a SINGLE GAME". The only thing keeping me from doing it is I want all the books in PDF, and the upper tiers only offer them in physical.

(Actually, looking at my $125 package now, it includes alpha, so I can drop my pledge by $10. Yea!)

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 4, 2013, 10:21 Mr. Tact

Added the comics compilation and a T-shirt (my normal attire at work and elsewhere) -- total pledge up to $169. Clearly I am insane.  

22. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 4, 2013, 10:15 nin

You pick the package you want, and then increase you pledge amount over it. So I had the radio button hit for the $125 package, but then at the top, I modified the amount I wanted to pledge.

Then they send out surveys after it closes, and you note what you wanted your over pledge amount to go towards. So keep a txt doc (of what you wanted, and it's costs) handy, as they surveys might not go out for awhile (months or even a year - I've had several KS that do this and I've not seen a survey yet).

21. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 4, 2013, 10:13 Mr. Tact

How do you get the add-ons? I don't see them in the manage your pledge stuff...

Edit: Nevermind -- found it.

20. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 4, 2013, 09:40 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:32:
You bought an add-on, nin?

Several. I started with the $125 NUMENERA SCHOLAR - ALL DIGITAL, and then added:

Digital Numenera Torment Sourcebook – $12 (Add-on EXCLUSIVE)
Alpha Systems Test Access – $10 (Requires Beta Test Access)
Digital Comic Compilation – $14 (Not available through any Tier) (cheaper than getting all three at $8 each)

I certainly wasn't planning on spending that much. But I'm not feeling regret (yet), either.

19. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 4, 2013, 09:32 Mr. Tact

You bought an add-on, nin?  

18. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 19:35 nin

Ugh - $161, please stop the bleeding!

17. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 18:29 Optional Nickname!

Jerykk wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 05:05:
Hopefully it will reach at least $3.75 million, as I love deep companions with their own unique quest lines.

Your enthusiasm has convinced me to be an alpha-tester. I look forward to joining you in the Numenera forum threads, your insights and experience would be very welcome and might well improve upon the game for everyone.

16. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 14:35 Silicon Avatar

It makes sense. They added more stuff to do so they have to add more development time. I'm cool with that.

15. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 13:34 sauron

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 12:36:
Btw, please tell me you didn't just write that down from memory...

Creston

Hehe, no, but I do have a few lines of the game burned into memory. Example:

Morte: Look, chief, these dead chits are the last chance for a couple of charming young bashers like us. We need to be chivalrous - no hacking off limbs or bashing them to pulp looking for keys.

Nameless One: Last chance? What are you talking about?

Morte: Look chief, THEY'RE dead, WE'RE dead, see? Wink, wink?

Nameless One: You can't be serious.

Kittens!

14. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 12:36 Creston

sauron wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:30:
Ceribaen wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 21:53:
There's just something that's drawing me to it.

Nameless One: What can change the nature of a man?

The Transcendent One: I have seen you live a countless lives, Broken One, I have lived your endless quests that accomplish nothing except spread your torment though the multiverse. Then, this is my answer and you are my proof: Nothing can change the nature of a man.

Nameless One: You are wrong. If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I've seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.

The Transcendent One: Believe what you will. You will die again, and you will forget again.

If Bioware had written this, it would have gone like so:

The Transcendent One: I have seen you live a countless lives, Broken One, I have lived your endless quests that accomplish nothing except spread your torment though the multiverse.

Nameless One: ... Hey, fuck you!

(I keed, I keed.)

Btw, please tell me you didn't just write that down from memory...

Creston

13. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 09:30 sauron

The Transcendent One: I have seen you live a countless lives, Broken One, I have lived your endless quests that accomplish nothing except spread your torment though the multiverse. Then, this is my answer and you are my proof: Nothing can change the nature of a man.

Nameless One: You are wrong. If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I've seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.

The Transcendent One: Believe what you will. You will die again, and you will forget again.

Kittens!

12. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 06:52 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 21:17:
This is def one of those "take your time and get it right" games. I have no problem with a delay, as I'd much rather play something good than rushed and incomplete.

Yep. I'm not feeling off-put by it going to be delayed, they started out small with a small kickstarter request, and are up to nearly $3.5m as we speak with 61hrs to go. With a whole assload of more content then they were expecting to add, do it right the first time.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 06:48 eRe4s3r

The one thing these Infinity era "re-vision" kind of RPG kickstarts make me all giggly about is that we are no longer bound to require sprite based characters even if the background is 2D with fancy modern shader tricks, that means finally proper character animation and more epic summon and spell effects. Proper animated party interactions... more interesting dialog situations etc...

Seems like a small thing to be happy about, but to me Infinity era RPG's were always about the story and npc's, but the animations were downright horrible and so it always was only 25% of the maximum immersion at best. Modern technology can do wonders to RPG's when they are done in the style of the Infinity engine. Just, you know, modern. So many new technologies exist that can enhance a 2D background with very advanced stuff, even grass and water can be simulated, even dynamic terrain deformation, rain puddles forming, reflections.....

Yes, that's all visual fluff, but it is vital for immersion, especially when not everything is voiced....

10. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 06:17 Julio

We can wait, no worries. A few other turn based RPG kickstarters will be available sooner so there's things to play in the meantime.  

9. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 05:05 Jerykk

For some reason this one is actually seriously tempting me to go in for one of the higher tiers to get the RPG sourcebooks and novellas around it...

Not certain why, because a) I have no nostalgia about Planescape: Torment and b) I didn't follow too closely the Numenera tabletop kickstarter (though I did consider kicking in for it).

By "no nostalgia," does that mean you haven't played it? Or that you just don't remember it as the best-written game of all time and one of the best RPGs ever? Because if you answer "yes" to any of those, you are a filthy heathen!

Anyway, I don't really see Torment reaching $4 million, letalone $4.5 million. Hopefully it will reach at least $3.75 million, as I love deep companions with their own unique quest lines.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2013, 05:11.

8. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 01:43 Creston

They need to take their time. Good RPGs take time to write, especially if it's going to be as reactive as they keep saying it will be. I'd rather they take 3 years to make it right than 2 years and deliver something that's clearly rushed.

of course, I donated all of 20 bucks, so my vote doesn't count for much.

Creston

7. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 01:35 Cutter

Techie714 © wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 23:28:
I'm calling it, summer 2015!

Probably. Wow, you're looking at 2.5 - 3 years for this.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delay Apr 3, 2013, 00:49 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm in at $50 right now, but considering going to the $75 level. Haven't decided yet...  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo