Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision Has King's Quest Plans?

An article on Digital Trends talks with Replay Games president Paul Trowe about the possibility Replay will work with Roberta Williams on a throwback collaboration if they are successful with the upcoming Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. Trowe says his efforts at securing the rights to do a King's Quest remake through Telltale failed, as this permission was clawed back by Activision when Telltale couldn't fit development into their schedule. “Activision’s probably not going to give us the King’s Quest rights [Telltale] had it, and we were going to license it from them to make the remakes," Trowe tells them. "Then I talked to the guys at Activision and they were like, ‘No, we’re pulling it because we’re going to do it ourselves'." They have not been able to confirm this with Activision.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 4, 2013, 06:29 Golwar

Jerykk wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 23:58:
*snort*

How is Activision even remotely innovative? They are the most conservative, risk-averse publisher out there. Seriously, when was the last time they released an original IP? They just pump out CoD sequels, licensed games and Blizzard games.

While I dislike Activision for milking their IPs as much as you do, you are partly wrong about the innovations. Ever heard about Skylanders?

It might not be your kind of thing, but it certainly was an innovation. And a successful one too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 23:58 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 08:44:
Golwar wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 07:53:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 04:55:
... why bother with such old crap only a few adventure fans from yesterday might be interested in?

I can tell you why: Because making a new Kings Quest is probably one of the most cost-effective ways to improve their reputation.
All that is required, is that Activision actually cares about its reputation.

Fast Company just picked them as one of the 40 most innovative companies, and their stock has been doing well. When EA melted down every article mentioned how well Activision is doing.

I don't think they have concerns over their reputation.

*snort*

How is Activision even remotely innovative? They are the most conservative, risk-averse publisher out there. Seriously, when was the last time they released an original IP? They just pump out CoD sequels, licensed games and Blizzard games.

Anywhay, Activision isn't going to do anything with the King's Quest franchise unless it's a mobile and/or Facebook game. Even that's probably more risk than they're willing to take.

14. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 14:18 Kajetan

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 13:18:
To be honest, nostalgia aside, Sierra's whole backlog is somewhat weak and niche to begin with. Gabriel Knight would flop in this day and age, pretty much any title in their backlog is a graphical adventure game often with puzzles, I just don't see those types of games as much as I loved them back then, selling to todays crowd.
It would sell. But not enough to make Bobby Kotick stand up from bed.

You can make good money with adventures and Kings Quest still has a good name with fans of this genre. But why should Actiblizz deal with small fish in a pond when they are hunting whole whale schools in the middle of the ocean during a heavy storm? Modern Warfare 3: 1 BILLION EFFIN DOLLARS IN ONLY TWO WEEKS! MORE THAN CAMERONS AVATAR!!

Kings Quest? *pffft* *snort*

13. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 13:18 RollinThundr

Orogogus wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 12:45:
I have to agree with Kajetan. The only reason this would have any effect on reputation is if there's a giant crowd of people throwing money at pure nostalgia. King's Quest is one of the weakest licenses in their stable, notwithstanding that it was their first game.

I could see the value in continuing the Quest for Glory or Gabriel Knight series. I could just about believe Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. But the King's Quest games were sorely lacking in any overarching storyline or themes, memorable characters or quality puzzles. Just make a point and click adventure game with castles and stuff in it, no need to buy a license.

But I guess there was enough of a base to make that fan-game that got foxed, so eh.

To be honest, nostalgia aside, Sierra's whole backlog is somewhat weak and niche to begin with. Gabriel Knight would flop in this day and age, pretty much any title in their backlog is a graphical adventure game often with puzzles, I just don't see those types of games as much as I loved them back then, selling to todays crowd.

Another Swat game if done with tactics in mind might do alright. But aside from that I'm not sure what they could really do. We're certainly not going to get another Starsiege mech game any time soon either.

12. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 12:45 Orogogus

I have to agree with Kajetan. The only reason this would have any effect on reputation is if there's a giant crowd of people throwing money at pure nostalgia. King's Quest is one of the weakest licenses in their stable, notwithstanding that it was their first game.

I could see the value in continuing the Quest for Glory or Gabriel Knight series. I could just about believe Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry. But the King's Quest games were sorely lacking in any overarching storyline or themes, memorable characters or quality puzzles. Just make a point and click adventure game with castles and stuff in it, no need to buy a license.

But I guess there was enough of a base to make that fan-game that got foxed, so eh.

11. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 08:44 Beamer

... why bother with such old crap only a few adventure fans from yesterday might be interested in?

I can tell you why: Because making a new Kings Quest is probably one of the most cost-effective ways to improve their reputation.

Fast Company just picked them as one of the 40 most innovative companies, and their stock has been doing well. When EA melted down every article mentioned how well Activision is doing.

I don't think they have concerns over their reputation.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 08:44 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 08:41:

They're sitting on a ton of good IPs they can milk for a lot more money. New Insterstate 76' would go over like freakin gangbusters!

Aside from the 30+ crowd of hardcore gamers, who else would even remember Interstate 76?

9. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 08:41 Cutter

They're sitting on a ton of good IPs they can milk for a lot more money. New Insterstate 76' would go over like freakin gangbusters!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 08:19 RollinThundr

Blatz wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 00:33:
Dev wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 23:00:
I doubt they will, regardless of what they told anyone.

Yup... more than likely the case. Just like how they are being knobs and hanging on to the Space Quest licence and doing nothing with it... and sending out cease and desists.
Yepp, why would Activision do something with Kings Quest? This is small and therefore uninterestng business to them. When your bread & butter game makes 1 billion dollar in only two weeks (CoD MW3) and your other division aka Blizzard makes hundreds of millions each fiscal quarter ... why bother with such old crap only a few adventure fans from yesterday might be interested in?

I think that goes for the rest of the Sierra catalog they acquired as well. SWAT 5? Yeah ok never gonna happen, any of the "Quest" line of games, also prolly not going to happen. I'm not sure why Vivendi just doesn't sell off all the Sierra IP, they're in need of money and we all know those IP's won't get touched anyway.

7. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 07:53 Golwar

6. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 04:55 Kajetan

Blatz wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 00:33:

Yup... more than likely the case. Just like how they are being knobs and hanging on to the Space Quest licence and doing nothing with it... and sending out cease and desists.
Yepp, why would Activision do something with Kings Quest? This is small and therefore uninterestng business to them. When your bread & butter game makes 1 billion dollar in only two weeks (CoD MW3) and your other division aka Blizzard makes hundreds of millions each fiscal quarter ... why bother with such old crap only a few adventure fans from yesterday might be interested in?

5. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 3, 2013, 00:33 Blatz

4. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 2, 2013, 23:00 Dev

3. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 2, 2013, 22:07 Rea1One

Activision will indeed screw this up.

RIP King’s Quest

2. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 2, 2013, 22:00 deqer

Yes, Activision would rather do it themselves because, again, they will take a great name franchise and shove online-only/DRM down your throats, and Activision won't be upfront about online-only/DRM because they won't name the box "Kings Quest Online"

1. Re: Activision Has King's Quest Plans? Apr 2, 2013, 21:20 nin

KINGS QUEST 20141516!!!! NOW WITH ONLINE MATCHMAKING AND COOP! RRRAAAWWWRRR!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo