Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Defiance

Defiance the game is now live, offering an open-world MMO third-person shooter that ties in with a television series of the same name. It's not clear exactly how, but they content the game will influence the show: "Experience dynamic missions, massive co-op battles, and endless exploration across a gigantic game environment. Plus, brought to you by Syfy, the Defiance TV series is a revolutionary weekly drama that impacts the game, and gives you the chance to change the show."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 3, 2013, 08:29 spindoctor

The TV show has apparently already been renewed for season 2, so it seems the channel is behind the IP in general. The game is by Trion who made Rift, one of the few successful subscription based MMOs around so it does seem like they know how do these things right.

I do like the general idea of the game and TV show influencing each other but the practical realities of content creation time make me highly skeptical that there will be any substantial crossover. Anything that happens in the show will be in a script 3 months in advance. Any event that happens in the game will also probably start production work months in advance. At best I can imagine this will come down to some throwaway lines in the show referencing some event in the game. "Oh did you hear about that successful rebellion in St. Louis?" and that's it.

Also, the game has a season pass. I suspect if you want to keep up with the story that is being followed by the episodes of the TV show, you will also need to have the episodic DLC content that a season pass provides. Thus making this an MMO without a subscription but with an implicit subscription requirement through season passes if you want to stay current in the story.

Gameplay looks kind of meh to me. At least, not worth 60$.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 3, 2013, 08:25 RollinThundr

It's no AAA quality game, but it's fun if you're looking for a sci fi shooter that you can play with friends. A few of the guys I play MWO with snagged this and it was a pretty fun romp last night blowing shit up together.

Not sure where the "F2P" comments are coming from, it's already F2P, no sub.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 3, 2013, 03:23 dj LiTh

TV Show first, then we'll see...  

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 3, 2013, 02:59 OldTimber

bigspender wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 02:06:
terrible graphics and art - check
main female character wearing armor except for the area over her heart and lungs - check
shitty trailer music - check

going f2p in 3...2...1....
It is F2p with a market. Oh you mean the cheapasses excuse of not paying for anybodies work ie you want the whole thing free. I played alpha for a bit but they never patched much into the market or the ability to use it for the time I played it so can't comment much on it. If it was more of a traditional MMO i'd have been playing it today but how it is i'll wait on it to go on sale.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 3, 2013, 02:24 Agent.X7

It doesn't have a sub.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 3, 2013, 02:06 bigspender

terrible graphics and art - check
main female character wearing armor except for the area over her heart and lungs - check
shitty trailer music - check

going f2p in 3...2...1....

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 3, 2013, 01:37 Cutter

Tried the beta and it was meh. Zero reason to play.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 3, 2013, 00:03 Asmodai

Eh, looked okay and it looks like a once off unless you buy boosts etc so what the hell.  

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 2, 2013, 23:57 MoreLuckThanSkill

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 23:09:
A new sci-fi show by Rockne O'Bannon! (Farscape was awesome!)

Oh SHIT. I did not know the Farscape people were involved in this! Awesome, will check the show out for sure now.

Ah, Aeryn Sun, how we miss thee.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 2, 2013, 23:23 Jivaro

Both game and show are above average from a superficial glance, but a little voice in my head is telling me that both would have to be fantastic for either to be successful. I imagine the tv show would have an easier time succeeding if the game were to suck rather than the opposite circumstances. I am curious however and will give both a gander.  

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 2, 2013, 23:09 Agent.X7

A new sci-fi show by Rockne O'Bannon! (Farscape was awesome!)  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 2, 2013, 22:05 Rea1One

The game seems ok, personally I'm more interested in watching a new sci-fi tv show, so hopefully its ok.  

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Defiance Apr 2, 2013, 21:26 jacobvandy

Probably something in the vein of a "vote for the ending," where an obtuse choice players make in some quest will be tallied up and influence some unimportant branch of the storyline.

Firefall is better.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo