Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter

Mark Jacobs and his cohorts at City State Entertainment announces a Kickstarter for Camelot Unchained, "a counter-revolutionary RvR-focused" MMORPG, saying the new game from the Dark Age of Camelot originator will be set in a post-apocalyptic "yet familiar" world. They say "The project's core concept encompasses three primary elements, Tri-Realm RvR, housing and a true player-owned economy built upon a rich crafting system," and they seek $2 million to realize their plan. "Camelot Unchained isn't a game with something for everyone," said Mark Jacobs. "Instead, we're aiming it at a niche audience of dedicated RvR-focused MMORPG players. We've tried very hard to incorporate our community's ideas and suggestions into our pledge rewards, even going as far as show the preliminary tiers in order to get feedback before the start of our Kickstarter."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 04:38 RaZ0r!

siapnar wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 16:36:
I don't understand how this has garnered 400k already

Is Dark Age of Camelot that beloved?

DAOC was the most fun I have ever had with a computer game. I still have friends from all over the world from that game. Yes, it was a very special game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 3, 2013, 03:24 dj LiTh

DAoC was indeed a gem, but as for best MMO pvp? Well Shadowbane hands down without a 2nd thought. I hope they make their goal, but i'll wait and see how this one turns out.  

20. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 21:55 Ceribaen

I'm torn on this one.
Definitely loved DAoC. Was not a fan of Jacobs though.
Would love to see an RVR MMO again, especially with a 'familiar' fantasy setting. But would need to find people to get together with again to actually make that fun.
Like the player based crafting economy. But then some of these 'founders points' rewards make it sound like it's going to have some freemium pay to win options?
I think if I was to actually go into this one, I'd go for broke and hit the internal testing tier (if it was still available when I make a decision)... is about the only way I think I'd really get myself invested in an MMO again. But then I don't know if I really want to do that anymore these days.

19. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 21:51 xsorus

wtf_man wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 20:49:
xsorus wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 20:31:
I play GW2 WvW, you can even look my videos up on youtube and I can safely say that GW2 is a pale shadow of what DAOC and Warhammer Online were... GW2 is basically a pimple on Warhammer Online ass....and doesn't remotely come close to DAOC.

Coming from a person that has 1 previous post from 2003 defending Mythic for suing Microsoft... I'm sure many will take your opinion with a grain of salt, and may even suspect you of being a Mythic or Former Mythic Employee.

Not a Mythic employee nor have I been...but i've played Mythic games, and i've played GW2 (hence my videos).. so my opinion on the subject is a bit better then a random tard monkey called wtf_man

18. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 21:30 Bosanac

Okay. what do you have about me to try and discredit me? I've already said that GW2 is a pale shadow of DAoC. Let's hear your GW2 fanboyism.

If you kill them, they will die!

17. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 20:49 wtf_man

xsorus wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 20:31:
I play GW2 WvW, you can even look my videos up on youtube and I can safely say that GW2 is a pale shadow of what DAOC and Warhammer Online were... GW2 is basically a pimple on Warhammer Online ass....and doesn't remotely come close to DAOC.

Coming from a person that has 1 previous post from 2003 defending Mythic for suing Microsoft... I'm sure many will take your opinion with a grain of salt, and may even suspect you of being a Mythic or Former Mythic Employee.

16. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 20:31 xsorus

Fion wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 20:16:
Bosanac wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 18:30:
No, GW2 doesn't have a 'hold' on 3 realm RvR. Its a half assed, poorly executed, no metagame ripoff of DAoC.

I'm going to assume you haven't played any GW2 WvW in some time. These days people bitch about there being to much meta lol.

15. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 20:16 Fion

Bosanac wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 18:30:
No, GW2 doesn't have a 'hold' on 3 realm RvR. Its a half assed, poorly executed, no metagame ripoff of DAoC.

I'm going to assume you haven't played any GW2 WvW in some time. These days people bitch about there being to much meta lol.

14. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 19:21 Zol

Careful here.

After a blitz of research, Mark has gone very much out of his way to answer questions and provide a boatload of information in a variety of formats regarding this endeavor.

My first reaction was very much skepticism but i think he addressed past concerns in a lot of the "Foundation Principles". Furthermore, i've yet to see him contradict himself in individual posts (which he is freely doing all over the place).

I'm adult enough to realize, however, that a lot of the things that hurt/burn on prior projects of his were a matter of business reality. I didnt like the decisions of the time and i dont like em today. But in reality how far do you throw the culpability? Mark isnt the only 1 or 2 or 50 developers saying "Publishers can suck my left nut". Excuse? I have no idea.

The question to me was, is kickstarter and no publisher interference a new reality. I'm more than able and willing to give the guy a shot. I do so realizing that this 50$ contrib is probably going down the drain. But if he delivers on the vision... the vision of no stupid publisher dumbing it down... yah, sorry i can't help myself.

If the reality is "developer messed it up, publishers are actually a good thing" i guess time will tell.

My 2 cents.

13. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 18:30 Bosanac

Man, there sure are a lot of angry nerds here.

Yes DAoC is that beloved. Yes many still consider DAoC to be the best PvP MMO. No, GW2 doesn't have a 'hold' on 3 realm RvR. Its a half assed, poorly executed, no metagame ripoff of DAoC. They overpromised and under delivered on that. And they focus too much on PvE and making it a gear grindfest to dedicate the proper time to a PvP end game.

EA sweet talks a lot of people with money. He learned his lesson there. Games Workshop is probably in the top 3 biggest POS companies in gaming and their deadline and lack of any understanding of MMO's forced Mythic to release WAR over a year before they wanted to.

If you kill them, they will die!

12. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 18:15 Yuioup

Wow. Amazed it already hit almost 500k. I guess the original game was pretty popular huh?  

11. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 17:30 Angrius Maximis

If there is one thing this guy can do its Hype Promote a shitty product.

Warhammer Online has cursed thee forever. Fuck this Kickstarter

10. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 17:18 Fion

People have rose colored classes when it comes to DAoC's PvP. Everyone remembers the good times but nobody seems to remember the mass pbaoe stun zergs and the constant nerfing that went on, some classes even being completely altered. I could never stand playing the game more than a month or two at the time because of it. The term Flavor of the Month wasn't coined in DAoC without reason.

I also think Mark Jacobs got a bit to puffed up with WAR, though perhaps that game has also taught him a lesson in humility. Time will tell.

9. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 17:00 KS

Cram wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 16:17:
400k already, 4 backers at $5000. It must be nice to throw loads of money at things with a straight face.

All these people roaring up the old Diablo II ladders were either flunking college students or rich inheritance scions with too much time on their hands.

Some of the latter may find $5k less than a penny to you and me. If it helps bring the next time waster about, fun!

8. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 16:57 Cutter

Gas Bandit wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 15:50:
Hrm, it's hard to be excited about this, I think Guild Wars 2 has a firm hold on the 3-faction RvR niche, I can't imagine wanting to go back to paying a subscription fee when GW2 is already paid for forever.

^
This. And several other reasons as well. Pass.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 16:49 Proudfoot

Gotta agree with wtf_man on this. Frior was the main meat behind DAoC, Jacobs was just the boss.

Also, the balance with just being a PvP game should be easier than balancing PvE with PvP. This new one has NO monsters, its all PvP.

6. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 16:36 siapnar

I don't understand how this has garnered 400k already

Is Dark Age of Camelot that beloved?

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

5. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 16:21 Mingus

I still remember the droves of folks who left after the initial use of the nerf bat for balance purposes. PvP is a tricky business.

Good luck Jacobs, you are going to need it!

4. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 16:17 Cram

400k already, 4 backers at $5000. It must be nice to throw loads of money at things with a straight face.  

3. Re: Mark Jacobs' Camelot Unchained Kickstarter Apr 2, 2013, 15:50 Gas Bandit

Hrm, it's hard to be excited about this, I think Guild Wars 2 has a firm hold on the 3-faction RvR niche, I can't imagine wanting to go back to paying a subscription fee when GW2 is already paid for forever.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo