Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks

The Runic Games forums now offer patch notes for a new patch that's now live for Torchlight II to update Runic's action/RPG sequel to version 1.22.x.40. The new version includes the release of GUTS (which apparently doesn't stand for anything), a new editor for creating content for the game. A post on the Torchlight II website has more details, explaining: "GUTS is our in-house development tool. It lets you modify almost everything about Torchlight II, from item and skill balance, to level layouts, animations, quests, and much more. GUTS mods can be shared with your friends, and multiplayer games using mods can be found in the modded games lobby. In addition, A new launcher lets you customize which mods are currently active." That page also includes Q&As with the team to address all your FAQing questions about this, and Steam News explains how the newly added Steam Workshop support will work.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 3, 2013, 23:30 Redmask

Fun little game, really had a blast with this. I do wish they would adopt a different art style though.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 20:53 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 16:58:
Try the demo. Enh, like the first one I just couldn't get into. I think it's the art style that leaves me cold. I do no like their visuals.
Good stuff, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the other input as well guys.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

32. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 18:49 deqer

Without mods, you wouldn't have Team Fortress 2, or Counter-strike. All those mods run on the game, Half-life.

Yup. Back in the day, countrstrike was just a sub folder called "cstrike" of your Half-life game, and team fortress 2 was a sub folder called "tf2"

31. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 2, 2013, 17:18 HorrorScope

Put mods another way... I have no clue if I am going to like Elder Scrolls Online, because the lord knows I have no idea how vanilla Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrorwind play like, in fact I modded them quickly to make them much better. Most to make it more difficult and realistic.  

30. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 2, 2013, 17:15 HorrorScope

Optional nickname wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 10:21:
I mean, to people enjoy modding so that they can simply press X and have the whole 20 screens of monsters around them just vanish? Perhaps I am misunderstanding modding, and just think of it as a spoiler cheat cartridge.

Put it this way, I read this and the first thing I thought was... It would be good to go into the numbers and make the game more difficult and balance the powers, some up and some down. TL2, there were powers way too powerful that made choosing something else a no-brainer not to. It could use a good dose of proper balancing.

29. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 16:58 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 14:46:
So fellows, not having bought this yet. Worth picking up?

Try the demo. Enh, like the first one I just couldn't get into. I think it's the art style that leaves me cold. I do no like their visuals.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 14:48 Verno

It's a fun romp for $20 and under if you like ARPGs. You will likely get at least 20+ hours of it. The Engineer class owns bones.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

27. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 14:47 Mr. Tact

Yes, well worth it for the price.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 14:46 Mashiki Amiketo

So fellows, not having bought this yet. Worth picking up?  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

25. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 14:42 Verno

Orogogus wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 14:31:
What are the RPG elements that are missing in Borderlands?

A bunch of different, subjective things but more than anything else I wanted stronger customization and character depth from it. Borderlands is fine for what it is but I feel like it's a bunch of surface elements strung together. Very limited character roles and interplay between classes. The itemization doesn't really do much to further it either. I want something that goes a bit deeper character-wise and I don't think that has to come at the expense of the shooting side of the gameplay necessarily.

24. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 14:34 Beelzebud

It's been live for less than 24 hours and someone is complaining because the mods are all just simplistic cheats? Get some perspective, FFS...

Actually this afternoon a fairly huge mod got uploaded that adds more content than most paid DLC for other games has. Give it time.

23. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 14:31 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 14:03:
Doesn't Borderlands meet those criteria, other than the Diablolike environment?

Obviously very subjective but I think Borderlands veers too much into shooter territory for my taste, the RPG elements are practically nonexistent. The maps are all static affairs too. I know their original marketing was the whole "diablo with guns" spiel but I feel like they didn't tick off enough boxes to earn that. Hellgate London sucked execution-wise but there is room for something like it in the market IMHO.

What are the RPG elements that are missing in Borderlands? I never played Hellgate: London so I don't have that point of reference. Crafting, STR/DEX/CON type stats, inventory Tetris, weapons degradation, class changing? Or is the general idea to take aiming away from the player and base his and misses on dice rolls a la Morrowind, or Deus Ex levels of weapons sway when unskilled?

I mean, I think Borderlands is pretty shooty, but it seems kind of inevitable when you marry shooters and RPGs unless you make it a very talky RPG where there's not much fighting.

22. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 14:12 Undocumented Alien

Your right, I guess I forgot about BL, it is an FPS/ARPG, but much like TL 1/2 is cartoony compared to D 1/2, BL 1/2 is much the same. So yes, take BL 1/2 and put it in a Diablo 1/2 style atmosphere (Dark, Fantasy Horror), I guess I'd be all set (maybe a skill tree as well).

But I do like BL 1 (haven't played BL2 yet), as well T 1&2, but both have a less intense atmosphere.

And I agree with Verno, BL doesn't have much in the way of RPG elements, that is why I used HG:L as more of an example of what I would like to see come to the market (but better of course).

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2013, 14:21.

21. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 14:03 Verno

Obviously very subjective but I think Borderlands veers too much into shooter territory for my taste, the RPG elements are practically nonexistent. The maps are all static affairs too. I know their original marketing was the whole "diablo with guns" spiel but I feel like they didn't tick off enough boxes to earn that. Hellgate London sucked execution-wise but there is room for something like it in the market IMHO.

20. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 13:54 AngelicPenguin

I wonder if I'm the only one asking this in the gaming world, but, what on earth do people get out of mods that can alter a game to such extent,

I mean, to people enjoy modding so that they can simply press X and have the whole 20 screens of monsters around them just vanish? Perhaps I am misunderstanding modding, and just think of it as a spoiler cheat cartridge.

I think you should go look up some mods for elder scroll games. They enhance those games in almost every conceivable way.

19. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 13:52 Orogogus

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 13:42:
No, there won't be a TL3, and thank god. We've had enough ARPG already. Let's move on.

I'd like to see a developer make a FPS/ARPG game, something like Hellgate:London (HG:L), but... better.

I did play HG:L, and I will admit that playing the Marksman (Sniper/Grenades) character had it's fun moments. I liked the mixing of FPS shooter, looting, leveling, and skill tree. As well, a Diablo type environment was fun to explore through.

18. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 13:43 Parias

I wonder if I'm the only one asking this in the gaming world, but, what on earth do people get out of mods that can alter a game to such extent,

You're definitely misunderstanding. Consider that the Team Fortress series started out as a mod for Quake.

17. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 13:42 Undocumented Alien

No, there won't be a TL3, and thank god. We've had enough ARPG already. Let's move on.

I'd like to see a developer make a FPS/ARPG game, something like Hellgate:London (HG:L), but... better.

I did play HG:L, and I will admit that playing the Marksman (Sniper/Grenades) character had it's fun moments. I liked the mixing of FPS shooter, looting, leveling, and skill tree. As well, a Diablo type environment was fun to explore through.

So... yeah, a De-Roperized FPS-ARPG, set in a Diablo type environment please. Something a little different.

16. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 13:15 deqer

Without mods, you wouldn't have things such as Rocket Arena, Jail Break, or TC(Total Conversion) mods such as Urban Terror or Action Quake; all those mods for the game Quake.

No to TL MMO. What a bad idea.

15. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 11:35 Jivaro

Ah yes...another person claiming not to understand what modding is or what value it has while associating it with purely cheating gimmicks. This conversation is good for a few laughs every 6 months or so when it comes up. The cynic in me has a hard time believing a visitor of Blues doesn't actually understand modding and modding communities. That seems...unlikely.

Jokes about nudity mods and Hello Kitty mounts? Totally get that. Associating all modding as simple cheating? Ridiculous.

I am long done with Torchlight 2, but after playing The Synergies Total Conversion that was made without the editor...I can't wait to see what the community does with some more practical tools.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo