Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Source Engine Steampipe Conversions

Having already rolled out a new Steampipe distribution of Day of Defeat: Source, Valve lays out plans for the release of Steampipe versions of Half-life 2: Deathmatch tomorrow, Counter-Strike: Source on April 16th, and Team Fortress 2 on April 23rd. This will not require any special action from most users, it just changes the way the games are distributed and updated, with Valve explaining this will result in faster and smoother downloads, faster game boot times and map load times, easier distribution; installation; and management of mods, and smoother dedicated server distribution and updates. There are some considerations for mod authors and server operators, and these are all laid out in the Steam Support Knowledge Base.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Source Engine Steampipe Conversions Apr 2, 2013, 19:55 MattyC

Verno wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 10:11:
Day of Defeat, le sigh. My favorite mod which languished after Valve bought the IP, I've never seen a community dry up so quickly.

I miss 3.1

A version of it exists for Steam, but I don't think I have ever seen an active, real server for it unfortunately.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Source Engine Steampipe Conversions Apr 2, 2013, 14:16 Verno

LOC wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 12:26:
Day of Defeat, le sigh. My favorite mod which languished after Valve bought the IP, I've never seen a community dry up so quickly.

Odd, last time I played DoD there were plenty of servers full and tons of players compared to plenty of other games that were just released last month.

Anecdotally I don't see a lot of growth in the NA user base and the custom map scene seems to have suffered. I still go back and play it every now and then but its hard to grow a community around a game that only gets support releases. I think it's a testament to how solid the core game was that the game still has a large EU presence though, it's good to hear people are still playing.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

4. Re: Source Engine Steampipe Conversions Apr 2, 2013, 13:32 Paketep

There's still a ton of people playing, especially in Europe.

Amazing, given how Valve completely abandoned the IP. What's worse, every two hat patches for TF2, they break something in DoD:S (switching on the flashlight and crashing a server was a mean one).

They should release the source code and let the community fix what's broken, but they won't listen to anything regarding DoD:S, sadly.

3. Re: Source Engine Steampipe Conversions Apr 2, 2013, 12:26 LOC

Odd, last time I played DoD there were plenty of servers full and tons of players compared to plenty of other games that were just released last month.

2. Re: Source Engine Steampipe Conversions Apr 2, 2013, 10:39 Zyrxil

Well, they hadn't invented hats yet in WWII.  

1. Re: Source Engine Steampipe Conversions Apr 2, 2013, 10:11 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo