Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of this week's best-selling games:

1. BioShock Infinite
  2. Arma III
  3. BioShock Infinite Season Pass
  4. Defiance
  5. Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack
  6. Hitman Absolution
  7. Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City
  8. Kerbal Space Program
  9. Just Cause 2
  10. Age of Empires II HD Edition

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:26 Orogogus

wtf_man wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 18:40:
Beelzebud wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 17:21:
Bioshock Infinite deserves it. It's the best shooter in years.

Well... that's the problem with the series.

System Shocks were RPGs first, shooters second. They've pretty much pushed out most of the RPG elements for the Bioshocks.

Don't get me wrong... I'll probably still pick up this title, on sale... but Ken Levine needs to be smacked upside the head for ever claiming that the Bioshock Series was a "Spiritual Successor to System Shock" ... cuz it sure as hell isn't, IMO.

The only real RPG element in System Shock was the inventory, and even then the weapon inventory was the kind that computer gamers tend to hate nowadays (generic slots). It's been said repeatedly, but Bioshock plays a lot more like System Shock than System Shock 2 did.

EDIT: It really has to be said, System Shock was an extremely shooty game. The game threw ammunition at you like candy, and bad guys respawned at a sometimes hilariously high rate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:22 FU

Beamer wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 18:57:
You're right. BioShock Infinite is so much more immersive and well realized than System Shock ever was...
That right there is sarcasm at its finest. There are some text based adventures games more imerssive than bioshock infinite. It's a very good game but it ain't a generation defining game at all. When I think in those terms I think of half life 1 back in the the 90s.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:07 Beelzebud

wtf_man wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 19:15:
You're right. BioShock Infinite is so much more immersive and well realized than System Shock ever was...

I would hope so, given the development time, the modern technology, and budget, compared to System Shock 2. It also helps if your publisher cares about the product.

But the series isn't nearly as RPG oriented as System Shock was... and that was my point.

It's not quite like turning a turn based story driven RPG into a shooter. The System Shocks were always hybrids, much like Deus Ex. At any rate, "spiritual successor" doesn't mean "direct sequel", so I'm not going to start nit-picking details about the best game I've played this year. The game might not be heavy on RPG elements, but it makes you think (about more than just the action), and that is more than I can say for most games out there.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 19:57 Rea1One

I personally hope the level that was shown off in the BioShock Infinite 2011 demo is in the Season Pass DLC. As I was very disappointed all the early footage wasn't in the final game.

This is what im talking about BioShock Infinite E3 2011 Gameplay Demo

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2013, 20:03.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 19:15 wtf_man

I would hope so, given the development time, the modern technology, and budget, compared to System Shock 2. It also helps if your publisher cares about the product.

But the series isn't nearly as RPG oriented as System Shock was... and that was my point.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 18:57 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 18:40 wtf_man

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 17:21:

Well... that's the problem with the series.

System Shocks were RPGs first, shooters second. They've pretty much pushed out most of the RPG elements for the Bioshocks.

Don't get me wrong... I'll probably still pick up this title, on sale... but Ken Levine needs to be smacked upside the head for ever claiming that the Bioshock Series was a "Spiritual Successor to System Shock" ... cuz it sure as hell isn't, IMO.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 18:04 Dev

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 17:14:
... can it be? Is this a Steam top 10 list, WITHOUT Skyrim !?

Impossible! However, if this is accurate, then mwahahaha, soon Skyrim will drop in price! *more fiendish laughter, adjustment of monocle*

It already did. It dropped from $60 to $40 normal price (non sale).
Not sure when, but it can't be that long ago. Now we just need a sale on top of that

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 17:58 heroin

I honestly thought Bioshock Infinite was boring. But, it is the game I played after Antichamber so maybe that is why. Antichamber was a fantastic game.  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 17:52 vacs

Where is Tomb Raider? Why is Just Cause 2 in this list? (Not because it's bad but old...)  

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 17:40 Jerykk

Really curious as to what the BI DLC will entail. I can't really see any way they'd be able to integrate it into the main story.  

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 17:21 Beelzebud

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 17:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

... can it be? Is this a Steam top 10 list, WITHOUT Skyrim !?

Impossible! However, if this is accurate, then mwahahaha, soon Skyrim will drop in price! *more fiendish laughter, adjustment of monocle*

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 17:02 dj LiTh

Techie714 wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 16:54:
I'm holding off on installing Bioshock until I finish XCOM, but I might start playing it sooner since the XCOM game is really pissing me off..lol. It's a great game dont get me wrong but it's one of those games similar to Civ where if you screw up early in the game it will let you sink 10+ hours into it before everything goes to shit ending it and basically saying "game over, start over". I like the game and wouldn't want them to change it but it sucks if you're not a really "decent" RTS player.

RTS? You mean TBS

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 16:54 Techie714

I'm holding off on installing Bioshock until I finish XCOM, but I might start playing it sooner since the XCOM game is really pissing me off..lol. It's a great game dont get me wrong but it's one of those games similar to Civ where if you screw up early in the game it will let you sink 10+ hours into it before everything goes to shit ending it and basically saying "game over, start over". I like the game and wouldn't want them to change it but it sucks if you're not a really "decent" RTS player.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 16:45 ASeven

Nice to see ArmA3 still holding strong.  

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 16:14 siapnar

Arab money!  

I have projectile dysfunction.