Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of this week's best-selling games:

1. BioShock Infinite
  2. Arma III
  3. BioShock Infinite Season Pass
  4. Defiance
  5. Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack
  6. Hitman Absolution
  7. Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City
  8. Kerbal Space Program
  9. Just Cause 2
  10. Age of Empires II HD Edition

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 2, 2013, 08:43 Dev

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 1, 2013, 00:14:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 22:19:
We go over this at least once a month, lol... the weekly top 10 is, YES, RANKED BY TOTAL REVENUE.

http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml
but how... it's $3!
Because games on sale... sell MOAR. I know its unbelievable that a sale could actually increase total revenue. I mean EA says it devalues the game.

Valve has talked about this before.
link
We do a 75 percent price reduction, our Counter-Strike experience tells us that our gross revenue would remain constant. Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40. Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation.
Then we decided that all we were really doing was time-shifting revenue. We were moving sales forward from the future. Then when we analyzed that we saw two things that were very surprising. Promotions on the digital channel increased sales at retail at the same time, and increased sales after the sale was finished, which falsified the temporal shifting and channel cannibalization arguments. Essentially, your audience, the people who bought the game, were more effective than traditional promotional tools. So we tried a third-party product to see if we had some artificial home-field advantage. We saw the same pricing phenomenon. Twenty-five percent, 50 percent and 75 percent very reliably generate different increases in gross revenue.
And not just valve
http://indiegames.com/2012/07/steam_sales_how_deep_discounts.html
indie developer and Super Meat Boy co-creator Edmund McMillen, these promotions can increase sales to an almost staggering extent. His 2D dungeon crawler The Binding of Isaac, for example, saw sales multiply by five when it was marked down by 50 percent, and once it hit the front page as a temporary "Flash Deal" (for 75 percent off), sales multiplied by sixty.
Believe it or not, those figures aren't all that unusual. Valve's director of business development, Jason Holtman, says plenty of developers have seen their sales increase exponentially, giving them a very healthy boost in revenue.
"It's not uncommon for our partners to see [a] 10-20 times revenue increase on games they run as a 'Daily Deal.' Some titles really take off and see as much [as a] 70-80 times increase in revenue," Holtman said.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2013, 18:58 Orogogus

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 1, 2013, 06:18:
but how... it's $3!

That's the power of Steam sales! Now you're thinking with portals!

It's still very odd, though. If this was the first or second time it had dropped to <$5 that might be one thing, but it's been that low on sales for almost 2 years.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2013, 18:52 Orogogus

wtf_man wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 22:57:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 20:26:
The only real RPG element in System Shock was the inventory, and even then the weapon inventory was the kind that computer gamers tend to hate nowadays (generic slots). It's been said repeatedly, but Bioshock plays a lot more like System Shock than System Shock 2 did.

EDIT: It really has to be said, System Shock was an extremely shooty game. The game threw ammunition at you like candy, and bad guys respawned at a sometimes hilariously high rate.

I don't remember much from System Shock 1... But System Shock 2 was definitely RPG oriented... choosing "class skills" before you even start (Basically Soldier (Warrior), Hacker (Stealth), Psionics (Magic User))... Stats to build and manage, skill points to unlock more in a tree, micromanage equipment, etc. etc.

Yeah, I know. And System Shock had none of that. No stats, no skills, there weren't six reasons why you couldn't pick up and fire the gun you just found. The sequel was a very, very different game from the original.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2013, 06:18 jacobvandy

but how... it's $3!

That's the power of Steam sales! Now you're thinking with portals!

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2013, 01:10 Jerykk

wtf_man wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 22:57:
The only real RPG element in System Shock was the inventory, and even then the weapon inventory was the kind that computer gamers tend to hate nowadays (generic slots). It's been said repeatedly, but Bioshock plays a lot more like System Shock than System Shock 2 did.

EDIT: It really has to be said, System Shock was an extremely shooty game. The game threw ammunition at you like candy, and bad guys respawned at a sometimes hilariously high rate.

I don't remember much from System Shock 1... But System Shock 2 was definitely RPG oriented... choosing "class skills" before you even start (Basically Soldier (Warrior), Hacker (Stealth), Psionics (Magic User))... Stats to build and manage, skill points to unlock more in a tree, micromanage equipment, etc. etc.

Since I'm, more of an RPG fan than a Shooter fan, "Bioshock as a Spiritual Successor" was a large disappointment to me.

Standing on it's own... it was a decent shooter, at best.

Since I don't have a "Spiritual Successor" expectation from the series anymore... Bioshock Infinite being a marvelous shooter, is fine by me. Just not worth $60 to me.

SS2 definitely had RPG elements, but I wouldn't call it RPG-oriented. It was an action game more than anything else, with a healthy dose of survival horror and RPG elements.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2013, 00:15 Alamar

Genesys wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 21:32:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 20:27:
Did anyone get Bioshock from GMG and take the cash back instead of the store credit? If ya did, have you received the money yet?
I got mine the same day:

03/28/2013 Debit Card Transaction GREENMAN GAMING LONDON 03/27 $59.99
03/28/2013 Debit Card Transaction GREENMAN GAMING LONDON 03/27 -$14.00

How odd... Maybe because of the difference in location, but for mine, it was just discounted $15 when I bought it, so only one receipt, for $45.

-Alamar

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 1, 2013, 00:14 netnerd85

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 22:19:
We go over this at least once a month, lol... the weekly top 10 is, YES, RANKED BY TOTAL REVENUE.

but how... it's $3!

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 23:38 xXBatmanXx

Genesys wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 21:32:
Did anyone get Bioshock from GMG and take the cash back instead of the store credit? If ya did, have you received the money yet?
I got mine the same day:

nm, took store credit, got it 2 min after I checked out. Then turned around and bought season pass.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 23:11 Cram

Are there any current discounts/coupons out there for Infinite? Apologies if I missed it today somewhere in the comments.  

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 22:57 wtf_man

Since I'm, more of an RPG fan than a Shooter fan, "Bioshock as a Spiritual Successor" was a large disappointment to me.

Standing on it's own... it was a decent shooter, at best.

Since I don't have a "Spiritual Successor" expectation from the series anymore... Bioshock Infinite being a marvelous shooter, is fine by me. Just not worth $60 to me.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 22:19 jacobvandy

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 22:02 netnerd85

Orogogus wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 20:43:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 20:39:
vacs wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 17:52:
Where is Tomb Raider? Why is Just Cause 2 in this list? (Not because it's bad but old...)
Just Cause 2 is 80% which is only $3

Aren't Steam's lists arranged by revenue or profit, though? And I think JC2 has been $5 or less several times already. It looks like I bought it for $3.74 in 2011's summer sale.
I would say not, whenever there is a cheap game that is good it goes straight up to the top ten.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 21:32 Genesys

I got mine the same day:

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:58 xXBatmanXx

Where is Tomb Raider? Why is Just Cause 2 in this list? (Not because it's bad but old...)

Holy shit - I think I will buy 10 of them to hand out for xmas!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:43 Orogogus

Aren't Steam's lists arranged by revenue or profit, though? And I think JC2 has been $5 or less several times already. It looks like I bought it for $3.74 in 2011's summer sale.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:40 Rea1One

Jerykk wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 20:31:
The E3 demo was basically just the game's prototype. Proof of concept before factoring in the numerous variables that go into developing a full game. The DLC will not be like that.

While yes the demo was "Proof of concept" but the game actually never had this level of quality and was definitely cut back due to console limitations. The Skyline system was never this complex in the final product, I was just saying hopefully they can make DLC that has more Skylines with more complexity to what the early demo had.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2013, 21:26.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:39 netnerd85

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:37 Wolfox

I'm so glad to see Kerbal Space Program in that list. It's an amazing game in its current state (and pretty stable too), and it's still an alpha, all things considered.  

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:31 Jerykk

Rea1One wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 19:57:
I personally hope the level that was shown off in the BioShock Infinite 2011 demo is in the Season Pass DLC. As I was very disappointed all the early footage wasn't in the final game.

This is what im talking about BioShock Infinite E3 2011 Gameplay Demo

The E3 demo was basically just the game's prototype. Proof of concept before factoring in the numerous variables that go into developing a full game. The DLC will not be like that.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 20:27 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo