Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record

Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher today told a GDC panel that their Tomb Raider reboot had the "biggest opening" of any videogame so far this year, and that in selling 3.4 million units in a week, has set a franchise record. This is reported on GameSpot, where they also note Square Enix has stated the game has not met its sales targets, which raises the question of how they arrived at such lofty Crofty expectations.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 01:18 JeffD

Its a good thing they go this press release out now, because it will be moot by next week when its place is taken by bioshock.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 01:14 Cutter

Guess her bewbs weren't big enough.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 23:42 Beamer

Flatline wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 21:57:
ASeven wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 20:56:
3.4 million and it didn't meet sales targets. This industry cannot survive with these numbers anymore.

I'd say that's a problem with Square-Enix more than with the industry. SE is hemorrhaging money and can't keep it up. They probably predicted 5 million units pushed in the first week. Maybe more. Which is absurdly unrealistic.

Yup. Its likely less that this game needed to move more and rather that square needed more sales of anything.

Maybe

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 23:08 jdreyer

I'll definitely buy this, but not just yet. It's a sale purchase for me.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 22:49 Lorcin

Considering it had practically no tomb raiding and was instead a near direct rip off of Uncharted (which yes was a evolution of Tomb Raider)
3.4m is bloody good.

If they had just taken the core of the Uncharted "spectacle" and added a few puzzles or a tomb or two too raid it might have been a good game.

As it stands it's a VERY well presented 3rd person shooter with a couple of platformy bits which relies on using QTEs to turn cut-scenes into levels for the sake of padding.

9. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 22:34 nin

3.4 million and it didn't meet sales targets. This industry cannot survive with these numbers anymore.

Yea!

Outside of blizzard, COD, and GTA, I can't think of any other pub that wouldn't be happy with 3.4m in opening week...if they can't survive on that, they need to plan better.

Hell, I'm surprised they sold that many.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 22:12 PropheT

Quboid wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 21:26:
What about console gamers, what percent of console games are sold online?

About 12% in the U.S. and 9% in Europe.

They do say the 3.4 million includes sales across all three platforms, though, and doesn't include digital sales...but there was no retail box PC release in the U.S., so it doesn't include any PC sales from here. It's pretty easy to see the sales number being over 4 million with digital sales and U.S. PC sales included, so if that still doesn't meet their expectations I don't think they had reasonable ones.

7. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 21:57 Flatline

I'd say that's a problem with Square-Enix more than with the industry. SE is hemorrhaging money and can't keep it up. They probably predicted 5 million units pushed in the first week. Maybe more. Which is absurdly unrealistic.

6. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 21:51 Rea1One

Hopefully tomb raider 2 has less QTE's.  

5. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 21:26 Quboid

Ghola wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 20:26:
the article states that it doesn't include digital sales which probably account for more than 50% of the people that purchased TR.

What about console gamers, what percent of console games are sold online?

- Quboid

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 29, 2013, 21:15 HorrorScope

Agreed, they should be budgeting for about 2 million units, it's not like the franchise can be counted on like a COD or Madden.

3. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 20:56 ASeven

2. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 20:56 SectorEffector

Maybe they will make a sequel now  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

1. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 20:26 Ghola

the article states that it doesn't include digital sales which probably account for more than 50% of the people that purchased TR.  

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo