Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record

Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher today told a GDC panel that their Tomb Raider reboot had the "biggest opening" of any videogame so far this year, and that in selling 3.4 million units in a week, has set a franchise record. This is reported on GameSpot, where they also note Square Enix has stated the game has not met its sales targets, which raises the question of how they arrived at such lofty Crofty expectations.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Apr 2, 2013, 13:43 Verno

Great game, really enjoying it. I hope they eventually make the projected 5m sales, 3.4m in a month is nothing to sneeze at.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 31, 2013, 15:04 Topevoli

3.4 million and it didn't meet sales targets.

AKA: "We needed an excuse to lay off a majority of the team that made this great game to bolster our revenue/expense ratio to maximize our stock. F those talented people and their families. Happy Easter!"

32. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 31, 2013, 13:12 Acleacius

Overon wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 12:15:
My main problem with the game is the schizophrenic design.....
Sums up the game design perfectly, whether it's due to publisher interference or developer incompetence. Since there is a corporation involved, there's really no hope things will improve. Narcissism doesn't exist in reality, just along side it.

Dev wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 15:12:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 14:18:
Yeah, this is part of my surprise at their disappointment. This game will have a long tail. Lots of people are interested in this game, just not at full price (were I a richer man...). The 4 million they sold the first week must have covered costs, so everything here on out should be gravy.
If they are disappointed at the sales, and if it cost $100 million, it might not have.
I really don't understand, is there anyway possible that 4 million units, (say for $50 each) totaling $200 million in the first week not be enough?

Don't get me wrong I like the game, it's just poorly handled in several important ways. I really do wonder if it all comes back to console mentality. Almost every potentially great game seems to be drug down by shitty design decisions.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2013, 13:20.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

31. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 16:25 Creston

3.4 million units sold in a week, and the game has not met its sales targets...

Fuck the publishers and what they've turned the gaming industry into. Fucking assholes.

Creston

30. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 15:12 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 14:18:
Yeah, this is part of my surprise at their disappointment. This game will have a long tail. Lots of people are interested in this game, just not at full price (were I a richer man...). The 4 million they sold the first week must have covered costs, so everything here on out should be gravy.
If they are disappointed at the sales, and if it cost $100 million, it might not have.

29. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 30, 2013, 14:59 HorrorScope

Kajetan wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 13:08:
Its not enough, because their stupid. Simple deduction. SE thought they could sell more than 5-6 Mio. units. They gave the reboot a very high budget, according to rumors nearly 100 Mio. dollars.

Fixed. They are simply trying to sell hype, instead of having the product and modesty speak for themselves.

28. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 14:22 jdreyer

Overon wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 12:15:
My main problem with the game is the schizophrenic design. It is like the plot was written by one team, and the gameplay by another. I can't think of another situation that could explain the story showing Laura as a vulnerable figure who is reluctant to kill deer for food and then minutes later performing brutal executions of humans in the gameplay. It doesn't fit and it's too jarring for me to take the game seriously or enjoy it.

Well, OBVIOUSLY deer are cute, and stubbly thugs are nasty and deserve to die.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

27. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 14:18 jdreyer

nin wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 01:20:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 23:08:
I'll definitely buy this, but not just yet. It's a sale purchase for me.

I've never played any of the TR more than 5 minutes, so I was mildly curious about this "reboot". Based on the totalbiscuit video, I'm not sure I'd stick with it. So I'll grab it for $5-$10 down the road...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

26. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 14:12 nin

Kajetan wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 13:08:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 11:33:
If you break sales records in the first week and history of the franchise, it's still not enough?
Its not enough, because productions costs were too high. Simple mathematics. SE thought they could sell more than 5-6 Mio. units. They gave the reboot a very high budget, according to rumors nearly 100 Mio. dollars.

They they fucked up, and it's their asses. I don't have much pity for them...they should have thought twice about a 100 million budget when previous sales numbers didn't back that up.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 13:08 Kajetan

Acleacius wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 11:33:
If you break sales records in the first week and history of the franchise, it's still not enough?
Its not enough, because productions costs were too high. Simple mathematics. SE thought they could sell more than 5-6 Mio. units. They gave the reboot a very high budget, according to rumors nearly 100 Mio. dollars.

The same as with Max Payne 3. Rockstar pumped up the dev and marketing costs, sales were dissapointing in relation to this budget. Now MP3 is considered a commercial failure.

24. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 12:15 Overon

My main problem with the game is the schizophrenic design. It is like the plot was written by one team, and the gameplay by another. I can't think of another situation that could explain the story showing Laura as a vulnerable figure who is reluctant to kill deer for food and then minutes later performing brutal executions of humans in the gameplay. It doesn't fit and it's too jarring for me to take the game seriously or enjoy it.  

23. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 12:02 nin

Exactly.

22. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 30, 2013, 11:37 HorrorScope

Lorcin wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 22:49:
Considering it had practically no tomb raiding

And that the franchise has long been hanging on for dear life. It's amazing it done so well, even if good. The Franchise has been crap for so long.

21. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 11:33 Acleacius

Dev wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 09:32:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 03:25:
Hopefully, they can afford to hire real writers and gameplay designers now.
How? It didn't meet targets.
If you break sales records in the first week and history of the franchise, it's still not enough? It's a severe management problem, probably the same people who made the idiotic decisions to release the sub par story and game play designs. Additionally not only are they probably including 'executive bonuses' in their 'targets' but also marketing.

Basically corporations try to attach amap to 'targets', delusional amounts of fraud and waste. The game was/is a sales success, just not square enix's 'vision' of bonuses.

Think my point is (just woke and probably rambling ), sooner or later, for better or worst these things catch up with corporations whether is from shareholders or customers. Somebody is lying if record breaking sales aren't enough. In a normal reality, you couldn't ask for better news.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 09:32 Dev

Acleacius wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 03:25:
How? It didn't meet targets.

19. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 07:47 Golwar

"Square Enix said despite a "high critical acclaim" for each title, sales still came up short. In particular, the publisher called its North American sales force "ineffective," noting that title sales in this region made up just a third of the number of units sold in Europe."

Interesting. With ones personal experience you'd often think that people share the same interests and tastes, but the often vast differences in games sales tell something different.

18. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 06:11 El Pit

Guys, GMG is now selling the Tomb Raider pack (excl. the reboot) for a few bucks/quids. You'll get the Steam keys.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

17. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 05:24 cronik

JeffD wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 01:18:
Its a good thing they go this press release out now, because it will be moot by next week when its place is taken by bioshock.

Tomb Raider was fun, but Bioshock is amazing baby!

16. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 03:25 Acleacius

15. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 30, 2013, 01:20 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 23:08:
I'll definitely buy this, but not just yet. It's a sale purchase for me.

I've never played any of the TR more than 5 minutes, so I was mildly curious about this "reboot". Based on the totalbiscuit video, I'm not sure I'd stick with it. So I'll grab it for $5-$10 down the road...

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo