Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 17:18 Cutter

No one should text unless absolutely necessary. No one should Tweet at all. And there's far too much email tag/spam as it is so yeah, kudos for her. If it's really important they'll get in touch. The rest is just wasting time. How the fuck do you consider using Twitter, Facebook, or even Email to make a person technically inclined? Cereal?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 16:08 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 13:59:
Thank you, Captain Obvious, for pointing this out.
It might need to be said a few more times, especially considering the amount of shady shit the TSA is involved in.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 13:59 nin

ledhead1969 wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 13:44:
She doesn't do email because she doesn't want a 'paper' trail. Wise up you morons.

Thank you, Captain Obvious, for pointing this out.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 13:44 ledhead1969

She doesn't do email because she doesn't want a 'paper' trail. Wise up you morons.  

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 13:33 Scottish Martial Arts

PropheT wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 12:25:
The job of her department is to monitor and understand threats, potential threats, communication mediums used to initiate them, and so on. If she hasn't used email in 10 years and is unfamiliar with modern social communication sites it makes it much harder to make decisions based on how they should be handled in respect to her department's needs.

To make it simple, have you ever had a job where middle management had no idea what you do for a living, but still made decisions about how you do it and when, and why, and the resources involved, based on views that didn't necessarily mesh with the reality of your work? It's like that, and it's not an unreasonable point of view.

I am unconvinced that terrorists are coordinating their plots through Twitter with enough regularity that it is a good use of the Secretary of Homeland Security's time to be tweeting with any frequency. One can understand what Twitter is, how to use it, and how, under limited circumstances, it can be quite useful, while recognizing that little, if any, of your time would be productively spent in using it. If Napolitano didn't know what Twitter was, or couldn't figure out how to use GMail, I would be concerned. But if she just feels that her time is more productively spent elsewhere, then more power to her.

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 13:16 Scottish Martial Arts

I really dont understand by what you mean when you put work in parenthesis.

Because unless you work in public relations, or some other job where your primary contribution to the organization is communicating information, then time spent on email is not productive time, but instead the necessary evil you have to complete before you can be productive. Let's say you're a programmer: you're being productive when you are writing and debugging code. You're not being productive when you're reading about upcoming meetings or changes in organizational policy. Those are both pieces of information you need to have, so it's not as if the time is wasted, but if you spend the first 90 minutes of your work day reading and answering email, that's 90 minutes where you're not writing and debugging code, or whatever your primary job is.

Email can be an effective tool, but in my experience, in most organizations, it is a poorly utilized timesink that detracts from, rather than enhances productivity. Most studies on the productivity effects of email would back me up on this point.

When email communicates important information briefly, then it's a wonderful tool, but such email is pretty rare in my experience. As a result, most email does not actually enhance your ability to accomplish your primary job tasks. If you're going to maximize the productivity effects of email, then you need to get real good at deciding what's important enough to read, what's important enough to skim, what's important enough to (briefly) respond to, and what you can safely ignore. Unfortunately, most people can't do that, and they spend time on email far past the point of diminishing returns.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 13:03 Orogogus

PropheT wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 12:25:
The job of her department is to monitor and understand threats, potential threats, communication mediums used to initiate them, and so on. If she hasn't used email in 10 years and is unfamiliar with modern social communication sites it makes it much harder to make decisions based on how they should be handled in respect to her department's needs.

I feel like the kind of cyber-security issues that Homeland Security faces would be so far removed from basic email and social media as to make this kind of expertise nearly irrelevant. Otherwise, DHS is so broad that supposedly qualified individuals would have to have had administered a network, done a stint on a border, skippered a Coast Guard boat, driven a bus, worked in BSL-4 laboratory conditions, disarmed bombs and so on. Unless the kind of threats they deal with can be solved by simply not opening dodgy email attachments, it hardly seems like an issue.

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 12:25 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 10:24:
Should we be concerned that Janet Napolitano doesn’t do email? I'm gonna go with yes. Thanks HARDOCP.

?? I don't think many Presidents do either.

They aren't allowed to for security reasons. There was a NY Times article about it sometime around 2008 when Obama was elected, talking about how he had to give up his Blackberry and the tech he was used to using when he became president. I'm sure the article is still out there somewhere.

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 11:09:
In short, I'm pretty technically inclined, but according to this douchebag I shouldn't have any duties related to technology because I don't tweet.

To make it simple, have you ever had a job where middle management had no idea what you do for a living, but still made decisions about how you do it and when, and why, and the resources involved, based on views that didn't necessarily mesh with the reality of your work? It's like that, and it's not an unreasonable point of view.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 11:50 InBlack

I really dont understand by what you mean when you put work in parenthesis. How exactly do you slack off on your email account?? By replying to Joe Spam from Nigeria???

The telephone is just as useful in business situations, but as someone who works in that kind of environment, having email skills is like 99% of any kind of job where you need to have any kind of significant contact with a large number of people.

Email is NOT A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME, its nowhere near it and anyone who tries to tell you that is lying through their teeth or is computer illiterate.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 11:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Not concerned at all about Napolitano's lack of email use. From what I heard when she revealed this in an interview a few days ago, it's not that she can't figure out how to use email, which would be VERY worrying, it's that she just thinks it's a near complete waste of time. Email can create a paper trail which is useful in many situations, but the telephone is faster, and without proper discipline, it becomes incredibly easy to "work" on your email all day, rather than actually get real work done. Looked at that way, I don't mind at all that she doesn't use it except when she absolutely has to.

edit: Read the article and it's fucking ridiculous. The author makes no distinction between technology that is useful and technology that is a distraction: you are either "into technology" or you are not. He's horrified that she doesn't tweet! One can be VERY technically inclined and yet recognize that most new technologies, particularly when we're using technology as a euphemism for social media applications, are complete wastes of time. I don't tweet, I don't use Facebook, I try to limit the amount of time I spend on internet fora (although their lure can be seductive, as this post illustrates), and I try to limit the amount of time I spend playing games (my biggest weakness). Despite that, I'm a hobbyist programmer who has made some open source contributions, and am currently teaching myself the computer engineering curriculum -- on data structures and algorithms, multivariable calculus, and electromagnetism at the moment --from my alma mater -- my degree is in Latin and Greek: turns out being able to read difficult, complex texts with interest and understanding without the aid of a teacher IS a useful skill! -- preparatory to changing careers into software development. In short, I'm pretty technically inclined, but according to this douchebag I shouldn't have any duties related to technology because I don't tweet.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2013, 11:30.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 10:24 xXBatmanXx

Should we be concerned that Janet Napolitano doesn’t do email? I'm gonna go with yes. Thanks HARDOCP.

?? I don't think many Presidents do either.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 29, 2013, 09:07 Cutter

These companies need to stop doing security on the cheap.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo