Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo

Real-Time Character Tech Demo video from Activision Publishing shows some impressive real-time face rendering technology in action. The accompanying notes sort of explain how this relates to face modeling tech recently demoed by NVIDIA, saying: "Yes, this is the same source data from ICT used by Nvidia at GTC, but rendered using a completely different tech." The caption on the video also notes this is "not actual gameplay," so our dreams of playing as a disgruntled, disembodied frozen yogurt customer are dashed once again.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 29, 2013, 01:36 siapnar

"...so our dreams of playing as a disgruntled, disembodied frozen yogurt customer are dashed once again."

lol

Oh, Blue...

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 21:16 eRe4s3r

Pretty much But would you have liked Back to the Future if it were an 12 hour epic of a cute girl + Doc Brown running through a flying city that gets pushed into a revolution, constantly shooting things, with only 2 or 3 very very small scale dimensional jumps and some stunning and some really ugly visuals?

I think Bioshock Infinite is a good game, but it is FAR less so than Bioshock 1.

And when we talk about story, it also includes the ending which if I understand it correctly creates a causality paradox. If we did at the end what I *think* we did, then the game's story could never have happened. And that is pretty funny considering it says Infinite in the title, it isn't infinite, it is a causality paradox, if you open the door at the end, the story could never have happened that would make you open the door at the end.

### Massive Spoilers inbetween ###

Essentially Elizabeth comes up with the idea of ending Bookers and her own existence in ALL the parallel universes, in case you haven't figured it out, Booker is Comstock in the reality we play in, but he is also Booker in other realities, it all pivots around the Baptism scene, the little excursion of history in the game also gives you some pointers which other 2 events together created comstock. The end essentially says "let's commit total suicide across all realities"

### Massive Spoilers inbetween ###

But I will admit that the story was smart up to that point. And many points require some decent thinking and understanding what is specifically said sometimes even in passing moments. So Bioshock Infinite is not bad, it is good, but it is no Bioshock 1 level of good.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2013, 21:25.

15. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 20:12 Nadool

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 17:03:
I would go so far as say that without the writing that went into Elizabeth the game would not rank above 60.. since all memorable moments are with her...

Yes and Back to the Future would have been awful without Doc Brown.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 28, 2013, 18:32 HorrorScope

You will get these graphics and then see the rest of the game... The guys is playing Tic-Tac-Toe. Overall in 25 FPS on a decked out system.  

13. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 17:03 eRe4s3r

Her graphical representation is OK Her behavior and dialog is mostly realistic and believable.. and she looks pretty nice and her animations are great, she is also nice to have around in combat, throwing you over ammo or sometimes a salt container (mana..) or health and she is generally fun to have around outside combat as well, sadly we have no real dialog options and only !!! 4 !!! optional choices that actually change something of note (and only minorly at that). which is imo a HUGE negative in a game with a narrative like this But the rest of the characters are ugly, mostly only averagely animated, and sometimes truly stunningly badly so.

Essentially you can say this: Bioshock Infinite is 10% shooting, 5% the setting, 70% Elizabeth, 5% the level design, 10% the story.

Or basically, without her, the game would suck. With her, it's a fun 12 hour run. But I feel like the game has 0 replay-ability. Maybe 20 hours altogether if you do a second run to see how little those 4 optional choices really matter.

I would go so far as say that without the writing that went into Elizabeth the game would not rank above 60.. since all memorable moments are with her (and there are very few really memorable moments..)

So yeah, she is the by far best and most fun lead companion in a game so far. But the rest of the game isn't as hot as the reviews say it is. The story is great, Elizabeth is great, and graphically it's ok. But there are a LOT of things that look really really lazy. Facial animations of anything not Elizabeth are one of these things.

12. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 16:17 Xero

Frijoles wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 12:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 11:05:
did anyone look at the children faces in Bioshock Infinite? My.. FUCKING, God. That is the most horrible animation and facial design for children EVER.

I thought all the NPC models and animations, with exception of Elizabeth, were pretty bad. At least they're easy to ignore, what with them barely interacting with the player.

Didn't someone claim that the lead female character in BIOS Infinite would be the most realistic lead companion ever in a video game? Was that not in reference to the graphics/animations? I haven't played the game so I do not honestly know but the few screenshots I've seen of her make me believe it's not in regards to the graphics, lol.

Currently playing: Sanitarium, Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

11. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 14:59 eRe4s3r

They probably wanted to avoid the "OMG it's sexism" nonsense that goes on with the fembots nowadays  

10. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 14:22 Rossafur

Sony or Square Enix would have been smart and used a cute Japanese girl so my reaction to it wouldn't have been, "Gah! Kill it with fire!!!" like I did with Uncle Fester here...  

9. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 13:11 eRe4s3r

Yeah.. I guess that one remained in my mind because he literally is shoved in your face out of the blue. "Little old people" was the comment from my "watcher" ;p Then we looked at all the faces of everyone and were pretty shocked. As pretty as the game is, the facial design and everything related is horrible.

Also the animations of those children dancing in those squares with numbers (dunno what it is called in english) was where we noticed it again, and from then on we just laughed it off (but looked everywhere) ;p The thing is, Elizabeth has beautiful animation and she simply looks stunningly .. well, good. Not as a human per sť, but in the style they go for here she looks style wise perfect. The other humans (few exceptions) are what's grating.

8. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 12:47 Wallshadows

This reminds me of when nVidia was showcasing how a Geforce 3 could render a scene from Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.  

7. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 12:02 Frijoles

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 11:05:
did anyone look at the children faces in Bioshock Infinite? My.. FUCKING, God. That is the most horrible animation and facial design for children EVER.

I thought all the NPC models and animations, with exception of Elizabeth, were pretty bad. At least they're easy to ignore, what with them barely interacting with the player.

6. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 12:01 Mark

Anyone else creeped out by the realism of the closeup at 1:25?  

5. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 11:49 Wildone

Still uncanny valley, but good. Wont be seeing this in games any time soon though. Unless the game is all about watching a guys face close up.  

4. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 11:30 InBlack

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 09:32:
If the character doesn't frown upon playing Diablo 3, then scrap this technology.

Trololol....

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 11:05 eRe4s3r

To be fair, they will have to code an entire AI routine just for any and all movement and focus functions linked to dialog and acting to get that right..... No way you can record eye movement and play it back, and have it not look utterly creepy... (has something to do with the fact that eye movement is situation dependent, you can not record it and play it back unless the environment, light, and position of the dialog receiver are identical.

So.. great tech, but still not 10% there to get human faces looking even remotely right....

Also while on the topic of faces, did anyone look at the children faces in Bioshock Infinite? My.. FUCKING, God. That is the most horrible animation and facial design for children EVER. If you can't do it right, don't do it! I had someone watching me play and we burst simultaneously into laughter when that boy came up and gave us that telegram from lutece

He looked like the shrunken head of a granpa complete with glitchy eye motion and everything.. brr and I find that pretty funny, considering Elizabeth seems to have a LOT better facial animation behind it. So they just got lazy there, and it shows.. oh my.. does it show

2. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 09:41 Frijoles

Eyes are still creepy. Great job on the skin though.  

1. Re: Activision Shows Real-Time Character Demo Mar 28, 2013, 09:32 Optional nickname

If the character doesn't frown upon playing Diablo 3, then scrap this technology.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo