Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing

EA is planning on closing down the Asia/Pacific servers for Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare's Star Wars MMORPG. This forum post has word from community manager Eric Musco saying "everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers." He explains why they decided to merge the three APAC servers with the North American servers, rather than into a single APAC server, saying: "The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term." Thanks TORWars.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

34. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:37 Creston

As for the server closures, it makes sense that you turn underpopulated servers into well-populated servers, but how exactly does this give the Asian players the "best play experience?" I guess the Force is stronger than latency?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:35 Creston

btallas wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:00:
bluesnews.com commentors - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

"Waaaah, mommy, I need blanky!"

So which of the previously banned dipshits are you? Actually, who cares. We fortunately now have a place for dipshits who are overly impressed with themselves.

Bye!

Creston

32. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:32 KS

btallas wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:00:
bluesnews.com commentors - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

"Mesa make an MMORPG for you. Play it, Ani!"

31. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:30 Tigger

I've been playing TOR for about a year now. The merging of servers has been good so far - there are a lot more players in zones now.

The only problem is that you really don't need to group with other players all that often - unless you are doing the Heroic quests. And even then, a duo (with companions) can plow through them with a little effort. Granted, my highest toon is level 27 or 28. Maybe groups are required at higher levels.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:29 Burrito of Peace

wasteoid wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:20:
The opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy.

I disagree. Apathy is the antithesis of motivation.

Both love and hate have the same core value, an intense interest. Ergo, both are two sides of the same coin even if they are polar opposites.

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:27 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:21:
Just for btallas (so he'll have something to read in the morning and evening), here's a list of games nin luvs:

Bioshock Infinite

That nifty new pirate game!

Sleepin Dogs!

The original Bioshock

Dragon Age

Kerbal

Borderlands 2

This Kickstarter

All these kickstarters

Rawk Band

DN3D

While I agree with you, nin, on most of these, I have to vehemently disagree on Sleeping Dogs.

I bought it on your recommendation back when it came out...and I hated it. I thought it was a horrible game. The main character was uninteresting and the story presentation was like watching a spastic epileptic try to scramble eggs; messy and ultimately pointless.

Now, granted, I know I am in the minority but...yeah.

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:21 nin

Just for btallas (so he'll have something to read in the morning and evening), here's a list of games (though not complete!) nin luvs:

Bioshock Infinite

That nifty new pirate game!

Sleepin Dogs!

The original Bioshock

Dragon Age

Kerbal

Borderlands 2

This Kickstarter

All these kickstarters

Rawk Band

DN3D

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:20 wasteoid

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:12:
InBlack wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:04:
nin wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:53:
InBlack wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:45:
I *heart* STARWARS MMO!

Hows that?

Not nearly convincing enough! You have to call everyone else haters who bash your beloved game, and then tell them to get bent!

Antihater paradox...If you hate the haters, do you actually...love them?

There is a very thin line between love and hate. Also, I genuinely believe you have to have some core of love for a thing you hate passionately. Otherwise, why would anyone expend that much energy and effort?

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy.

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:16 Rhino

btallas wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:36:
nin wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:34:
I read this site every morning and evening and I've yet to see anything positive written by you and your roving pack of emo hipsters. Seriously, if you don't like games or gaming in general, why do y'all even come to this site?

Perhaps you should stumble over to the bioshock threads and pay attention?

And looking back at the thread, unless you have another login named nacelle, I wasn't referring to you.

But hey, you read this site every morning and evening, so I'm sure you knew that.

Oh my god!! One game in what, 10 years?!! Someone call Guinness!!

Also Saints Row, Skyrim (albeit with some criticisms, but generally well received), FTL among others. Some more mixed than others. You seem to be ONLY looking at specific threads. I'm hardly a regular poster by any stretch and even see this. I see what you're trying to do here, but the most that you'll incite is minor irritation with such hyperbole.

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:14 Verno

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:12:

There is a very thin line between love and hate. Also, I genuinely believe you have to have some core of love for a thing you hate passionately. Otherwise, why would anyone expend that much energy and effort?

Well said. Some of the most angry rants about games I've seen on the internet have come from long time fans.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:12 Burrito of Peace

I *heart* STARWARS MMO!

Hows that?

Not nearly convincing enough! You have to call everyone else haters who bash your beloved game, and then tell them to get bent!

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:11 El Pit

I *heart* STARWARS MMO!

Hows that?

Of course not. If you shoot a corpse, it won't make it alive again!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:04 InBlack

I *heart* STARWARS MMO!

Hows that?

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 10:53 nin

I *heart* STARWARS MMO!

Hows that?

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 10:50 Redmask

btallas wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:36:
Oh my god!! One game in what, 10 years?!! Someone call Guinness!!

I'm not sure a thread for TOR is the best platform for your little soapbox.

Call me crazy but when I find somewhere too negative I just stop going. I don't find this place too negative at all, go spend some time at Gamefaqs, PSU or the Xbox forums sometime and learn to appreciate that the grass isn't always greener.

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 10:45 InBlack

I *heart* STARWARS MMO!

Hows that?

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 10:45 Beamer

nin wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:34:
Perhaps you should stumble over to the bioshock threads and pay attention?

He'd just find Cutter, haha.

And, I was about to say the "emo" reference really dates this guy, but I guess when our most negative user is "Cutter," maybe the dated emo reference applies, haha.

So does the hipster reference. "I liked that game franchise when it came on 5.25" floppy disks. Then they sold out. It wasn't always about the money, man..."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 10:42 nin

El Pit wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:39:
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

Or they won't go back to their holes, selling used robots on Tatooine, and eating Bantha poodoo.

I thought he was better than that, honestly. Every once in awhile, one sneaks in, and I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, and then they fling their poo at everyone...

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 10:41 Drayth

Actually it's been 2 games in 10 years, you forgot Tomb Raider. Things are off the hook around here these days.  

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 10:39 El Pit

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

Or they won't go back to their holes, selling used robots on Tatooine, and eating Bantha poodoo.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo