Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing

EA is planning on closing down the Asia/Pacific servers for Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare's Star Wars MMORPG. This forum post has word from community manager Eric Musco saying "everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers." He explains why they decided to merge the three APAC servers with the North American servers, rather than into a single APAC server, saying: "The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term." Thanks TORWars.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 28, 2013, 18:25 btallas

Endo wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 17:39:
btallas wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 16:24:
Creston wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 13:45:
1badmf wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 17:42:
haha i love all the obscure star wars references. i'm not 100% certain, but i think the dude was just making a star wars joke, not actually denigrating blues and co. that's a line obi-wan used to describe mos-eisley in episode 4.

I recognized the quote just fine—the intent behind the comment remains the same. It baffles me that all these wankers, who do nothing but whine at how terrible it is here, stick the fuck around.

Creston

Careful there junior. One day you're gonna have to back up that internet tough guy act and find you don't have a keyboard and monitor to hide behind
Condescend much? I'd suggest you follow Creston's advice.

Also, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. Some "internet tough guys" really are tough guys.

And last but not least, stop trolling. I know you think you're being subtle but the only person you're fooling is yourself.

Thanks for the advice son. As for the trolling, not sure where you got that seeing as I only made a star wars reference. I guess I keep forgetting that this generation of kids is the emo generation and get their feelings hurt too quickly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 28, 2013, 17:39 Endo

btallas wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 16:24:
haha i love all the obscure star wars references. i'm not 100% certain, but i think the dude was just making a star wars joke, not actually denigrating blues and co. that's a line obi-wan used to describe mos-eisley in episode 4.

I recognized the quote just fine—the intent behind the comment remains the same. It baffles me that all these wankers, who do nothing but whine at how terrible it is here, stick the fuck around.

Creston

Careful there junior. One day you're gonna have to back up that internet tough guy act and find you don't have a keyboard and monitor to hide behind
Condescend much? I'd suggest you follow Creston's advice.

Also, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. Some "internet tough guys" really are tough guys.

And last but not least, stop trolling. I know you think you're being subtle but the only person you're fooling is yourself.

52. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 28, 2013, 16:24 btallas

Creston

51. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 28, 2013, 15:45 Verno

The irony is what gets me. The people who bitch how bad X website is are always the ones telling other people to stop buying games and vote with their wallet. Well uh, do the same thing, vote with your wallet and stop coming here if its so bad. Stop clicking on comments, stop avoiding the ignore function, stop adding to the noise level. It's always the people who can't seem to get along with others too. Funny how "negativity" here never seems to bother them if people like the same game they do, LOL.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

50. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 28, 2013, 13:45 Creston

Creston

49. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 28, 2013, 01:50 Sempai

I luv this game! It's teh best run mmo on the block yo! I heart u EAware!

Can't wait until i can be a Panda Jedi!

48. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 20:51 btallas

Creston wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:35:
btallas wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:00:
bluesnews.com commentors - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

"Waaaah, mommy, I need blanky!"

So which of the previously banned dipshits are you? Actually, who cares. We fortunately now have a place for dipshits who are overly impressed with themselves.

Bye!

Creston

I sorta was making a reference but it sure did get the internet tough guys out. Not really sure how my comment got Creston's panties in such a wad but it's cool. One day he'll grow up and not take things so seriously.

47. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 19:47 Drayth

That design is actually for back-face culling. It's meant to block your view from a distance into the building so the game engine doesn't have to render it. Having to render the internal architecture and the external area all at once would kill most cards... except THE TITAN!! (semi-jk)

WoW even does it for their inns with an elbow entrance. That way you can have a F-Ton of toons inside and outside (aka: Goldshire (on Moonglade)).

46. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 19:21 Saboth

Played this game for a few months. Got 2 chars to 50. Mostly interested in single player and PVP. Three uninspired PVP maps got old, fast, especially when 75% of the games were Huttball due to low pop (started as medium).

The time sinks they installed to make leveling slow were painfully obvious. It was hard to do more than 1-2 quests at a time, due to them being spread out. Quests would span zone after zone, for nothing more than an unoriginal fetch quest. Zones were built so you would have a hard time getting to an objective, usually having to run down a cliff wall to find the way up. Buildings and settlements were arranged to make you walk the longest distance to get anywhere. I saw this a lot:

Outside area.
___________________[DOOR]__________________

[Passage]___________________________[Passage]

Wide open giant room.

Why on earth would an architect put a door then a wall immediately after, forcing you to walk all the way around the wall? Why was the wall there? No reason! On the other side of the wall was open space! EVERY building was like this, or contained winding staircases instead of you know...just elevators. I got so tired of running from X to Y then to X again, then Y again.

45. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 18:43 Julio

Great news! Another fine EA product.  

44. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 17:42 1badmf

Creston wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:35:
btallas wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 10:00:
bluesnews.com commentors - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

"Waaaah, mommy, I need blanky!"

So which of the previously banned dipshits are you? Actually, who cares. We fortunately now have a place for dipshits who are overly impressed with themselves.

Bye!

Creston

43. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 16:03 Cutter

Ge,, didn't see that coming, lol.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

42. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 16:02 NegaDeath

EA is the path to the dark side. Low populations lead to mergers, mergers lead to higher pings, higher pings lead to cancellations.[/yoda]  

41. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 15:28 Necrophob

Begun, the server closures have.  

40. Re: Latency Mar 27, 2013, 13:25 Darks

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 13:02:
In order for an MMO to compete in a region, they have to have servers in that region. No gamer wants to play any game with a ping time 5x higher than it should be. They just took themselves completely out of the Asia/Pacific market, they're done. For many MMOs this would be extremely damaging, from UO to WoW. However....Star Wars. Huge cultural phenomenon in the US, but in the Asian markets? Who knows, they might not have had many players to begin with.

Dude, the only Asians that will be playing this game are the Gold Farmers. Everyone else is fodder, EA just made it 10 times easier for them to exploit the system.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

39. Latency Mar 27, 2013, 13:02 JohnBirshire

In order for an MMO to compete in a region, they have to have servers in that region. No gamer wants to play any game with a ping time 5x higher than it should be. They just took themselves completely out of the Asia/Pacific market, they're done. For many MMOs this would be extremely damaging, from UO to WoW. However....Star Wars. Huge cultural phenomenon in the US, but in the Asian markets? Who knows, they might not have had many players to begin with.

38. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 13:00 Jivaro

Tigger wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:30:
I've been playing TOR for about a year now. The merging of servers has been good so far - there are a lot more players in zones now.

The only problem is that you really don't need to group with other players all that often - unless you are doing the Heroic quests. And even then, a duo (with companions) can plow through them with a little effort. Granted, my highest toon is level 27 or 28. Maybe groups are required at higher levels.

You are correct, even at higher levels that remains the case. I suppose content released in the last 4 months might have something I am not familiar with but I didn't see anything in my time with it that required more then 2 people during the leveling process or after it.

I actually really liked playing the game single player and have multiple characters at max level. I was even starting to find the pvp enjoyable as changes were made. Just not enough there to keep playing, let alone paying, after you have experienced the storiy lines.

I am not saying anyone's complaints about the game aren't valid. Most of them are. They jut tend to be things I must not have been as bothered by necessarily. I left this game because I ran out of things to do, not because I didn't enjoy the game.....which in my opinion....there simply isn't any excuse for with this franchise, this genre, and the budget this game had. If I was a 20-40 hours a week player that would be one thing, but I probably only hit 20 hours in a week once....and that was around release.

37. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 12:53 Tigger

As for the server closures, it makes sense that you turn underpopulated servers into well-populated servers, but how exactly does this give the Asian players the "best play experience?" I guess the Force is stronger than latency?

You didn't know?

Perhaps they think that the number of players outweighs latency?

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

36. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 12:08 Acleacius

How can a corporation be so F'ing stupid.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

35. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 11:49 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:37:
As for the server closures, it makes sense that you turn underpopulated servers into well-populated servers, but how exactly does this give the Asian players the "best play experience?" I guess the Force is stronger than latency?

Creston

Exactly.

In two years, we'll be having the same discussion about SimCity.

Sorry, couldn't resist. The shaudenfreude is strong with this one.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo