Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New APB Game Kickstarter

A new Kickstarter holds out its hand for cash to develop All Points Bulletin (APB): Vendetta, a new "Extreme Agility Shoot-and-Slash FPS with unique fighting-game inspired characters, and “easy-to-mod” server tools" (thanks IGN). As the title implies, this is a spin off of APB Reloaded, the resurrected version of All Points Bulletin, the high-profile open-world project that was resurrected by Reloaded Productions after the game killed developer Realtime Worlds. Here's word on the Kickstater:

APB Vendetta is a character-driven extreme mobility competitive shooter, inspired by the APB Reloaded universe, built on an entirely new high-agility game system featuring; extreme movement mechanics, melee combat, dual wield weapons, character-specific finishing moves, a fighting-game ethos, customizable private servers, modding tools and an upgraded game engine using the latest (2013) version of Unreal3.

APB Vendetta is a buy-to-play game where players receive all guns, characters and game affecting items upfront, with optional monthly server rentals for on-demand managed and modded servers. If you already play APB Reloaded, then APB Vendetta can connect to its predecessor and you can share “Premium Account Status” between the two games. One long-term stretch goal includes expansive tools to export non-game-play affecting visual customized items from APB Reloaded to APB Vendetta as part of future mod and ops toolkits. By backing our Kickstarter you empower us to create this separate dedicated development team expanding the APB universe.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 28, 2013, 17:44 lochwinnoch78

Is this anything to do with APB that I had on the Commodore 64 or Amiga, where you were a cop. Top down view in a squad car, collected doughnuts etc ?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 28, 2013, 13:48 Beamer

Julio wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 18:45:
Hey if it got $100 million the first time, might as well try a kickstarter to get more for APB. Hookers and blow is where this funding seems like it will go.

This is a different company.
Like, entirely different.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 28, 2013, 13:39 xXBatmanXx

fail  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

15. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 20:58 Slick

yeah dev, i'm well familliar with the rise and fall of RTW, i played the APB beta, the retail, and Reloaded somewhat religiously. I just never heard a figure concerning how much money they managed to eat, and over which period of time exactly.

105m is fathomable in the context of running their entire studio building 2 MMO to titles simutaniously, marketing, and ARG promo all-in. But that's a boatload of cash. And i'd wager single malts instead of blow seeing as they were based in scotland, but you know, the sentiment is the same.

It's unfortunate that GamersFirst, the F2P company that bought the assets and IP from RTW inherited a lot of ill will towards the community with RTW's fuckups, but they didn't rest on their laurels one bit, they too the baton and ran with it, writing a whole new chapter of fuckups in their own distinct prose.

Cannot see myself touching this game, will not KS it, if it gets launched and all the guinea pigs in the world find out that it's worth playing, and devoid of any past mistakes, then i'll look forward to handing them my credit card number. but that's an uphill battle.

14. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 19:31 Cutter

Julio wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 18:45:
Hey if it got $100 million the first time, might as well try a kickstarter to get more for APB. Hookers and blow is where this funding seems like it will go.

Zackly. You'd be a fool to give these guys dime one.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 18:46 Rea1One

APB Vendetta online persistent action FPS in the latest Unreal Engine

Unreal 4 engine is the latest not 3...

Personally I was hoping for an APB 2 but it ain't.. its just a spinoff

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 18:52.

12. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 18:45 Julio

11. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 16:47 Beamer

Dev wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 16:42:
Slick wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 14:20:
200m for the original game? got a source on that? i heard that GTA4 clocked in at around 100m, so i'd be hard pressed to believe a 200m figure on APB without something to back it up.

maybe if you included the other MMO they were working on into that budget, and all other operating costs, and all of their failed ventures into ARG type promotions... maybe that pill i'd swallow, but 200m still seems over inflated. can't see how the original game would have cost more than 20m to make...
It was confirmed that they did $100m+. Their genius plan was to spend every penny of it and have $0 at launch. And they actually did it too. Guess they never heard of cash flow.

There was a bunch of bluesnews stories on it if you want to go searching.
Or you can start here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APB:_All_Points_Bulletin

Anyways, I'm not going to KS something like this, not just because of its $100+m history, but because of the kinda game it is. They can just use their profits from their pay 2 win gameplay.

That assumes there was marketing.

Realtime Worlds burned through $105 million. Period. That's all-in, as RTW didn't have access to any cash beyond that. So, if they did marketing, it's included in that $105MM, unless someone else pitched in.

We'll see someone realize their vision at some point. And it'll be a hit. Titan, perhaps, will include much of their ideas (because they're no-brainers for a huge MMO at this point.) But RTW had neither the money nor the experience to get it done.

-------------

10. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 16:42 Dev

200m for the original game? got a source on that? i heard that GTA4 clocked in at around 100m, so i'd be hard pressed to believe a 200m figure on APB without something to back it up.

maybe if you included the other MMO they were working on into that budget, and all other operating costs, and all of their failed ventures into ARG type promotions... maybe that pill i'd swallow, but 200m still seems over inflated. can't see how the original game would have cost more than 20m to make...
It was confirmed that they did $100m+. Their genius plan was to spend every penny of it and have $0 at launch. And they actually did it too. Guess they never heard of cash flow.

There was a bunch of bluesnews stories on it if you want to go searching.
Or you can start here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APB:_All_Points_Bulletin

Anyways, I'm not going to KS something like this, not just because of its $100+m history, but because of the kinda game it is. They can just use their profits from their pay 2 win gameplay.

9. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 16:40 jdreyer

I couldn't find where I originally read that, but this article shows that the developer alone spent $105m. Throw in marketing, and you could be up to $200m pretty easily for an AAA game like this (remember all the ads for this before it came out? I do). Activision spent $150m on adverstising for COD:MW2. APB was supposed to be the online version of GTA, and Realtime Worlds was started by a former GTA creator.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 14:26 Ozmodan

Right going to fund a game that can't even control the cheaters. Not likely!

Oh and I believe they spent somewhere in the teens to develop it, don't think any MMO has spent close to 200 million on a MMO including Star Wars.

7. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 14:20 Slick

6. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 13:25 Beamer

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 13:23:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 13:00:
Given that the original cost $200m to make, I'm not sure how much they'd be able to do with a few hundred K on kickstarter. And given the games rocky history, I have no idea why they think they can make that much.

This Kickstarter isn't being done by those financial geniuses at Realtime Worlds. And even if it was, a sequel to the original really shouldn't cost very much at all.

Realtime Worlds had huge, huge, huge dreams that went beyond gameplay. They put enormous time into the in-and-around game stuff. Their customization was unparalleled at the time, but probably got way too much attention. They'd planned on letting you buy shirts you designed in game, too.

Their plans were too big and too grand, with their attention in the wrong place. I mean, that stuff would have been awesome had the game been awesome, but... they ran out of money before they could make the game awesome and released it too soon.
So yeah, I guess "financial geniuses" is apt.

-------------

5. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 13:23 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 13:00:
Given that the original cost $200m to make, I'm not sure how much they'd be able to do with a few hundred K on kickstarter. And given the games rocky history, I have no idea why they think they can make that much.

This Kickstarter isn't being done by those financial geniuses at Realtime Worlds. That studio is dead, and APB was bought up by a free-to-play company. Even if it was, a sequel to the original really shouldn't cost very much at all.

4. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 13:00 jdreyer

bhcompy wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 11:00:
Give me a kickstarter based on the real APB and you have a deal.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 12:02 Slick

LOL. i had friends buy the original retail APB off the shelves literally days before they took all the servers offline. they bought 2-3 months "mmo access" garbage too, over $100, with no refunds.

then Reloaded came out asking you to pay $60 for a gun that doesnt turn into vapor after a set amount of time. and then all of those guns were all inferior to the "gold guns" which they sold month to month which would have hidden booster stats which were superior to all other potential weapon combinations. (think hidden pre-filled slots)

Reloaded did "F2P" so terribly, that for me it's the standard of how to completely fuck up the "F2P model 10 times worst than any other game has tried. And the fact that they never made it right to their customers who paid $100 for the original game to have the servers run for 2 FUCKING MONTHS... just makes me never want to give them a penny again.

even though the actual games they build seem half-decent, if not shoddily coded.

2. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 11:00 bhcompy

Give me a kickstarter based on the real APB and you have a deal.  

1. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 09:17 JoeNapalm

As a long-time supporter of APB, in the face of all it's failings, may I humbly suggest you FIX YOUR @#$% before starting work on another revenue stream??

Thanks.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo