Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Bah to tablets. Mar 28, 2013, 10:36 Ant

Desktop PCs for me forever! Lappies with physical keys and fast power, sure if I go out a lot!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2013, 09:09 Beamer

They're not "stopping development" of PC components.

But go look at any public discussion NVIDIA has given over the past 2 years. What do you see? Tegra. Look at their CES presentation from 3 years ago - plenty of GeForce. Look at it from this year - not a single mention of GeForce. Not a single mention of the desktop PC.

The money isn't going into high performance, high power components. R&D is shifting extremely heavily towards mobile parts.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2013, 08:41 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 14:39:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 14:33:
Where do they find such idiots like Joe Wilson? Tablets are nothing but toys at this point. What you can do on them beyond games, is so limited it is not worth mentioning. So far most of mine have moved down to the young where they play lots of games, even the college kids find little use for them. Like one college kid told me, you can't even keep class notes on them.

Five years ago you couldn't even browse the internet on your phone (well.)

Today it's where significant site traffic comes from.

Trends are things that happen over time. I still don't get why people keep arguing that a desktop is a better form factor. It sucks. Its only advantage is power. Once that advantage is stripped, it becomes a heavy, immobile, useless piece of crap.
Other than the ability to build your own I don't understand why people love them. If someone offered me a tablet that had the same power as a desktop (today? No. But in a decade? Duh), with HDMI out (or whatever is used), and the ability to connect to my mouse and keyboard then hell, why wouldn't I use it?

Your future analogy is flawed. Dont you think that the desktops will advance in technology at the same pace as tablets? You know like they have been since the PC was invented? Why would Intel, AMD, IBM or any other tech firm stop developing desktops since they are so much cheaper and easier to put together for enterprise solutions? I dont see the enthusiast market dying down eather? Not with GPU solutions the size of a small tablet itself. They might shrink those down but how do you shrink a half-kilo copper cooler?

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2013, 22:13 jm0ris0n

Beamer, isn't that called a surface pro? Picked one up last week and for a first gen device, zero regrets. Thing is a beautiful 2lb beast.

Where do they find such idiots like Joe Wilson? Tablets are nothing but toys at this point. What you can do on them beyond games, is so limited it is not worth mentioning. So far most of mine have moved down to the young where they play lots of games, even the college kids find little use for them. Like one college kid told me, you can't even keep class notes on them.

Trends are things that happen over time. I still don't get why people keep arguing that a desktop is a better form factor. It sucks. Its only advantage is power. Once that advantage is stripped, it becomes a heavy, immobile, useless piece of crap.
Other than the ability to build your own I don't understand why people love them. If someone offered me a tablet that had the same power as a desktop (today? No. But in a decade? Duh), with HDMI out (or whatever is used), and the ability to connect to my mouse and keyboard then hell, why wouldn't I use it?

8. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 27, 2013, 22:03 HorrorScope

Well shit that is why we like it, the power. Sure give me a little ass device that is as powerful as my desktop (same cost or less) and I AM THERE! But they aren't so, that is why they exist. POWER!

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2013, 21:30 jdreyer

The main things people do on PCs, they can do on tablets in a portable, always on form factor: internet, skype, youtube & netflix, email, casual games. It's only power users like you and I who do FPS gaming and photoshop on our PCs that really need desktops. And that's a small % of the population.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2013, 19:48 Pigeon

Trends are things that happen over time. I still don't get why people keep arguing that a desktop is a better form factor. It sucks. Its only advantage is power.

There needs to be another reason? Yeah if I could get the same performance out of a tablet, and like you said be able to hook a big screen, mouse and keyboard up to it, I'd use that too. I don't want a desktop because it's big and bulky, I want it because it offers the best user experience to me. I'm sure in 10 years tablets etc. will be closer to desktops in ability than they are now, but I don't see them being able to completely replace them for a long long time.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2013, 15:22 NegaDeath

The trend isn't really all that surprising. Content consumption can be handled by smaller portable devices so naturally people will shift to that. For now content creation will take place primarily on larger systems due to power/interface/software needs, as those needs are met the shift will happen again. And as PC computing power has been relatively stagnant the last few years it isn't surprising people don't need new systems.

40 years ago computers were shrunk from taking up an entire room to taking up a desk, about 10 years after that laptops were on the market, this is just the next step. But for now you'll have to tear my PC out of my cold dead hands, it fits my needs far better than a portable. Eventually that will change.

Edit: We really need a next generation of batteries though, that voltage wall is going to seriously hamper development going forward.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 15:30.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2013, 14:39 Beamer

-------------

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2013, 14:33 Ozmodan

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2013, 14:25 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 14:10:
Sad to see desktop PC sales declining. Hopefully the PC gaming niche stays strong. It's going to take me years to clear out my steam queue!

You'll be able to play those on things not permanently tied to the same desk in your home, though.

-------------

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2013, 14:10 jdreyer

Sad to see desktop PC sales declining. Hopefully the PC gaming niche stays strong. It's going to take me years to clear out my steam queue!  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo