Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Yesterday I paid the price for having found this article explaining why it is not a good idea to use the self-cleaning feature on your oven because it can actually break the oven, even when used as intended. This lead to me cleaning the oven by hand, which is a messy job, though not nearly as bad as I imagined. There are also a number of articles on the internet suggesting it may not be healthy to breath around an oven in self-cleaning mode, but since my "manual" cleaning relied on a can of nasty Easy-Off oven cleaner, I doubt that I'm ahead on that part of the deal, but at least the oven is clean.

Clean Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mercenaries vs. Zombies.
Science: Scientists link frozen spring to dramatic Arctic sea ice loss.
Images: 10 geeky street signs- Finding your way to nerdvana.
Harbinger of Paramount’s “Star Trek – Into Darkness”. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Prop Wars.
Batman in Classic Movies.
How People Would Really Use Time Travel.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2013, 19:44 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 19:29:
Blue I use to clean ovens as a side job for the chain of Wendy's I worked for and let me tell you that stuff is toxic as all get out. Easy Off, Carbon Off, etc, not to mention the chemical burns and potential respiratory issues. What I found that worked best (granted it is time consuming) is a REALLY good steam cleaner. Not to mention you can use them to clean just about anything.

Yeah, I forgot. Those portable steam cleaners are ahh-mazing. We use them in restos all the time. And I have one of those little shark ones at home. It does great work.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2013, 19:29 The Half Elf

Blue I use to clean ovens as a side job for the chain of Wendy's I worked for and let me tell you that stuff is toxic as all get out. Easy Off, Carbon Off, etc, not to mention the chemical burns and potential respiratory issues. What I found that worked best (granted it is time consuming) is a REALLY good steam cleaner. Not to mention you can use them to clean just about anything.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2013, 19:19 PHJF

It has been my experience that all new appliances are designed explicitly to break in short order. Either that or there are scores of incredibly incompetent engineers in the workforce.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2013, 18:57 Julio

Sounds like new ovens are poorly designed, and so now they break when being used as intended. No issues at all with self cleaning mode on an electric oven without hidden elements. Using Easy Off is not a fun experience, no way I'm going back to that.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2013, 13:20 Will W

I was wondering how it could be bad for the oven....but after reading the link, it sounds like they're only referring to electric ovens. I remember getting chemical burns from oven cleaner (my fault) when I was younger, so I try to avoid that stuff like the plague.  

4. How people would really use time travel Mar 27, 2013, 11:47 Creston

Twiki Stephen Hawking said it best: "Time travel will never be possible, because if it would be possible, we would be overrun by tourists from the future."

That's how it would be used. Things like the signing of the Declaration of Independence would be a fucking madhouse, with 900,000,000 tards with their iPads all trying to get video to put on Youtube. (One of you say hi to Connor for us!)

Creston

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2013, 10:13 Cutter

What's in Easy Off? I wouldn't touch that crap with a 10 foot pole. Almost everything in your house can be easily and well cleaned with vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice - or some combination thereof. And not only is it not dangerous to you, they're not bad for the environment either, which can't be said for most housecleaning products.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2013, 10:07 InBlack

Nice science link explaining possible causes to the extreme weather of 2012/2013. I had my worst bout of allergy ever in the spring of 2012 due to the heat, the cold this year is actually pretty good for me although Im getting sick of the damn snow outside...  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2013, 10:05 Hoop

Never "self" clean an oven when there is a perfectly good woman nearby. Outtahere  

Um .. Behind you...

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo