Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping

A post by Blizzard to the forums for Diablo III announces planned changes to their "account rollback policy" in North America and Europe, saying that as of April 2nd, players in these regions who have their characters restored by Blizzard customer support will have all wearable items bound on account, so they cannot be sold, traded, or auctioned to other players. They say this matches a policy change they implemented in December for the Asia region, and for the first time to our knowledge, confirm the long-held theory of many of the game's players that there are duplicate items in circulation created by players abusing the rollback policy (a player sells items or passes them to an accomplice and calls Blizzard customer support to ask their character be restored from backup because their account was compromised, getting duplicates of all the gear back). "Last December, we made some changes to our regional account rollback policy for players in our Asia region. We implemented this update to protect the in-game economy from the noted rise of false compromised account claims by players attempting to gain duplicate items," the post states. "This policy has proven very effective in helping reduce the number of duplicate items in the game while still allowing us to assist legitimately compromised players, and now we’re ready to roll it out for our Americas and European regions."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 00:29 entr0py

I think the Witcher 2 hit on a terrible compromise; DRM that no customer wants at release, followed within a few months by a patch that removes all the DRM. The publisher gets to tell shareholders that they prevented the earliest and most impulsive piracy, and customers are treated with respect in a pretty short timeframe. Everyone sort of wins (or at least we get screwed less).  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 00:13 -dolomite-

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:22:
Blizzard is a fucking joke at this point.
Bliz/Activision is an old dinosaur. They don't listen to the fans -- don't even like them very much.

15. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 23:39 NegaDeath

But EA said all the simulation is run on the server so item duping....wait we're back to Diablo 3 sucking now? A guy can't keep up.  

14. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 22:47 Verno

Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 22:37:
That is a good idea, I wonder why they didn't go with something like it. It was probably too difficult to justify taking a cut of the proceeds unless they controlled the entire process.

With the auction houses the players have less of a sense of ownership and probably won't scrutinize transaction fees as much.

Who knows, maybe. I think its more likely just that Jay Wilson was a really rigid, by the numbers guy and when that person is in charge of the whole project it seeps into everything. I don't think its a coincidence his pet project (Monk) was the most rigidly balanced but boring class. His general attitude in dealing with issues seemed to echo that too. The new guy they have in charge (name escapes me) seems pretty competent and he actually gets what the players are unhappy with and why people don't seem to like the game much. Unfortunately there's only so much he can do with a patch and it takes a long time to create and test the kind of changes people want to see.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

13. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 22:47 jacobvandy

I always liked the idea of player-run shops in MMOs. Like you have people standing around in town having switched to some kind of NPC mode, where you go up and talk to them and browse their goods like any other vendor. They set their own prices and might haggle with you via private message, and they earn a reputation among players over time for their quality of goods/service and any specialization they might fall into.

Sure, it's not as convenient as a trading post or auction house, especially ones that are magical and let you do buying and selling from anywhere, but it's a much more interesting mechanic. You never know what you might find, or how good of a deal you might get because there's no searchable database of market prices or possible stats. Takes all the fun out of being a craftsman or merchant when you're completely anonymous in your business dealings.

12. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 22:37 Redmask

Verno wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 22:26:
I remember one of the devs talking about how the auction houses affected the game in ways they couldn't foresee. One of the things he listed that I never thought about was it had the unfortunate side effect of showing people perfect item rolls and made the vast majority of drops undesirable to players. I actually don't think the GAH was even a thing they needed specifically, player bazaars facilitated by the server probably would have been a better idea that accomplished the same goals. They could have tied it in nicely to lobbies and chat to keep that sense of community that keeps people coming back to MP games.

That is a good idea, I wonder why they didn't go with something like it. It was probably too difficult to justify taking a cut of the proceeds unless they controlled the entire process.

With the auction houses the players have less of a sense of ownership and probably won't scrutinize transaction fees as much.

11. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 22:32 Denthor

I've never played a public game at all - probably never will. So all of my time in co op is spent playing with people i know. So sharing an item that has no worth to me or is a larger upgrade for a mate isn't a problem and vice versa to them. I guess with the AH everyone wants good drops. It translates into a resource to get better items.

Not everyone played D2 with public trading in mind - i only traded with friends and vice versa. Decent drops weren't so rare, well what we considered decent, and talent choices played a far more important role over gear to clear the game. All of that was turned on it's head with D3

Honestly the design of the game just plain sucks. It's fundamentally flawed with the RMAH/GAH - guess that is why there are so many changes coming in the PS3 version.

Just to be clear we gave up on the game after clearing ACT I in inferno a few weeks into it's release. We all realized that we spent more time on the GAH than actually in the game as it was much more efficient to flip items for gold than play the game to obtain them.

As to the changes the game has had since then i can't comment on but D3 burnt the bridge for me - i won't be going back, not whilst the AH still exists.

10. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 22:26 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:51:
I've always said I hope they add in offline for those that wanted it. Online required for D3 has never bothered me and hasn't been an issue for me since the first few hours of release. I've also always seen Diablo as a coop game first and a single player game second.

You maybe but other people played it as a singleplayer experience with optional co-op but we've been through all this before. The previous two games had singleplayer campaigns and there turned out to be practically no functionality that required underpinning connectivity in Diablo 3 anyway. Now apparently the console version won't require it either so *shrug*, their reasoning for the whole debacle was pointless. I'm also more than a little weary about console certification potentially slowing down the PC version but I guess we'll see what happens.

I also get peoples grievances about the RMAH (just don't use it), but the GAH was needed after the mess that D2 was for trading and buying items. And you can play to at least Inferno without using the GAH at all. After that you will need to spend more time farming gear to progress if you want to avoid the GAH.

I remember one of the devs talking about how the auction houses affected the game in ways they couldn't foresee. One of the things he listed that I never thought about was it had the unfortunate side effect of showing people perfect item rolls and made the vast majority of drops undesirable to players. I actually don't think the GAH was even a thing they needed specifically, player bazaars facilitated by the server probably would have been a better idea that accomplished the same goals. They could have tied it in nicely to lobbies and chat to keep that sense of community that keeps people coming back to MP games.

I've got 2 characters in Inferno MP5 and have no problem getting Legendary drops (I even screenshot each one in Steam). I'm not currently playing, but as was always intended, it's the kind of game I'll keep going back to now and then.

Outside of production values there's nothing Diablo 3 does better than Path of Exile as an ARPG so there is no reason to play anymore IMHO. In a world where POE didn't exist and wasn't being constantly improved I might revisit it but I doubt I'll even return for an expansion at this point, they would need to make some pretty drastic changes to fix the underlying issues in the game. The new guy in charge does seem to really understand what's wrong with the game though, I will say that.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

9. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 22:14 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:30:
Troll bait headline by Blue. Way to go!

This isn't item duping by way of cheating or using hacks. This is assholes abusing Blizzards account rollback policy for compromised accounts.

Reading comprehension is hard.

The headline was fine, why are you so defensive about it? Duping is duping, the result is what matters, not the methodology. Were items duplicated? Yes. It's actually worse than a normal exploit because they used official functionality to accomplish it.

Game got boring a long time ago due to numerous design flaws which is why many people aren't playing anymore so I doubt it matters much but it's still newsworthy.

8. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 22:05 Krovven

Denthor wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:39:
It's no different from any other exploits which later get patched out. Those that exploit early and often generally reap the rewards of doing so.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

7. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 21:51 Krovven

I've always said I hope they add in offline for those that wanted it. Online required for D3 has never bothered me and hasn't been an issue for me since the first few hours of release. I've also always seen Diablo as a coop game first and a single player game second.

But why would you want shared loot? Ranged classes would get screwed on picking up loot in public games. Borderlands is a perfect example of how not to do loot distribution. Instanced loot when playing coop is one of the best things about Diablo 3.

I also get peoples grievances about the RMAH (just don't use it), but the GAH was needed after the mess that D2 was for trading and buying items. And you can play to at least Inferno without using the GAH at all. After that you will need to spend more time farming gear to progress if you want to avoid the GAH.

I've got 2 characters in Inferno MP5 and have no problem getting Legendary drops (I even screenshot each one in Steam). I'm not currently playing, but as was always intended, it's the kind of game I'll keep going back to now and then.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2013, 21:56.

6. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 21:39 Denthor

This isn't item duping by way of cheating or using hacks. This is assholes abusing Blizzards account rollback policy for compromised accounts.

It's no different from any other exploits which later get patched out. Those that exploit early and often generally reap the rewards of doing so.

5. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 21:38 Krovven

Yea, giving the players the benefit of the doubt and even allowing rollbacks on compromised accounts is just fucking horrible of them.

4. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 21:36 Denthor

Thats one thing i never understood about the cheating argument. How the hell does online only protect people from cheaters? If anything it only exposes them to it. I guess the only true reason for online only is RMAH. It's the only viable reason.

This whole fiasco is made even worse with the latest info from the PS3/4 Version. It pretty much has everything i wanted for the PC one -- shared drops, offline mode with local co op and the biggy - No AH.

3. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 21:34 Beelzebud

Indeed it is. Like the fact that you completely missed that it doesn't matter how it was done, there are thousands of duped items in the game. The fact that Blizzard literally helped people do it, is a laughing stock.

2. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 21:30 Krovven

1. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 26, 2013, 21:22 Beelzebud

Good thing the game can't be played offline in single player mode, otherwise people would cheat!

Blizzard is a fucking joke at this point.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo