Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping

A post by Blizzard to the forums for Diablo III announces planned changes to their "account rollback policy" in North America and Europe, saying that as of April 2nd, players in these regions who have their characters restored by Blizzard customer support will have all wearable items bound on account, so they cannot be sold, traded, or auctioned to other players. They say this matches a policy change they implemented in December for the Asia region, and for the first time to our knowledge, confirm the long-held theory of many of the game's players that there are duplicate items in circulation created by players abusing the rollback policy (a player sells items or passes them to an accomplice and calls Blizzard customer support to ask their character be restored from backup because their account was compromised, getting duplicates of all the gear back). "Last December, we made some changes to our regional account rollback policy for players in our Asia region. We implemented this update to protect the in-game economy from the noted rise of false compromised account claims by players attempting to gain duplicate items," the post states. "This policy has proven very effective in helping reduce the number of duplicate items in the game while still allowing us to assist legitimately compromised players, and now we’re ready to roll it out for our Americas and European regions."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 14:24 Undocumented Alien

If you want to be up front about it, the the game cover should say "Diablo Online", not "Diablo 3 (with fine printed 'requires online connection')"

I strongly agree with this statement. If you are going fundamentally change a vision for a game, then name it aptly so. Much like Ultima went Ultima Online. The new SimCity should have also been called SimCity Online. These corporations know what there doing, especially nowadays when you can't even return games.

Don't sit there and take a game franchise that has strong roots with an SP Offline mode (a mode that got it off the ground with D1) and all of a sudden handicap it to online only, especially for a shitty reason of the RMAH... and then to turn around and release a console version that has an offline mode.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 14:04 deqer

Armengar wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 08:08:
It isnt like blizzard werent up front with the always on DRM.
I disagree.

If you want to be up front about it, the the game cover should say "Diablo Online", not "Diablo 3 (with fine printed 'requires online connection')"

35. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 11:53 Tanto Edge

All hail the game industry executive salute.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

34. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 11:47 AngelicPenguin

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 08:49:
You defended a turd of a game and are still defending it. Well done blizzard zealot #1321.

He likes the game, which is fine.
You don't like the game, which is equally fine.

Why the name calling?

33. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 10:29 Endo

Yet another thread about D3 sucking.

Funny thing is, I called it... way back in June of '09. On this site. No one believed me then, when I said Blizzard's rep as a top-notch developer was going to take a big hit thanks to the next Starcraft and Diablo games.

32. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 08:49 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 22:05:
Denthor wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:39:
It's no different from any other exploits which later get patched out. Those that exploit early and often generally reap the rewards of doing so.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Duping is cheating period. Weren't you the one going on and on about the forced online only being to prevent cheats and the like? Yeah so glad that turned out exactly how all the nay sayers said it would.

You defended a turd of a game and are still defending it. Well done blizzard zealot #1321.

31. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 08:44 Mr. Tact

What I want to know is how much money did Blizzard make off items being sold in the RMAH which they had "inadvertently" duplicated?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 08:38 Denthor

Don't hate, just being realistic unlike some people. Online only hasn't and won't stop dupes/hacks. Also i recall people stating that god mode was known for ages -- just not well known. Those that found it kept quiet and abused it well over a month (quick search turned up this notice the youtube vid date and subsequent patch removal.

Thankfully an indie dev stepped up and has provided an ARPG with pretty much everything i wanted (PoE). Still doesn't mean I'm not disappointed with how blizzard "sold out" for the rmah inclusion.

29. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 08:08 Armengar

usual haters and trolls.

Seriously if you dont like it dont play it. I liked D3 and I played it. Got bored and moved on. Occasionally I fire it up and have a game with some friends.

It isnt like blizzard werent up front with the always on DRM. Barring a couple of hours on the first night ive not had any issues (outside my own internet connection) stopping me from playing.

I dont really care that it is an online only game. Most of my games are online only (in a way) since they are multiplayer ones.

god mode was patched out fairly quickly and the dupes arent RAMPANT dupes just the odd batch. It was worse on D2 when you could leave your PC to roll an item for you. I still remember generating a whirlwind mana/life leech weapon for my barbarian. you dont seriously think that a piece of software can be 100% bug proof do you?

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

28. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 08:04 Denthor

Krovven wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 05:22:
But the point is, the online only requirement for D3 HAS stopped hacks and cheats. I've never seen anyone with duped items, god mode, etc. but I've seen them in just about every single other game I play online. As far as the effectiveness of the system, the account restoration problem is a minor issue that has little impact on the game, certainly nowhere near the scale of D2 duping and won't at all anymore.

How do you know you haven't seen anyone with duped items? Also god mode? vid.

Honestly stop sucking on blizzard teat for a moment and have a look at what your saying. These things still happen.

27. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 07:44 Frags4Fun

Blizzard is a bunch of assholes! I hope that a giant meteor falls out of the sky and vaporizes the entire company.

Edit: I have just realized that it would take multiple meteors to vaporize all of the Blizzard facilities which are scattered around the world. As you can probably tell, I hate Blizzard.

26. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 07:11 Redmask

Krovven wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 05:22:
But the point is, the online only requirement for D3 HAS stopped hacks and cheats. I've never seen anyone with duped items, god mode, etc. but I've seen them in just about every single other game I play online. As far as the effectiveness of the system, the account restoration problem is a minor issue that has little impact on the game, certainly nowhere near the scale of D2 duping and won't at all anymore.

People just used Blizzards own service to dupe items so I don't think it's time for a victory lap. Diablo 3 is a young game, your conclusions are way ahead of themselves. People hacked on Diablo 2 for over a decade, those exploits didn't appear overnight. The online requirement in Diablo3 didn't stop botting which continues to affect the economy. As someone who played a lot of Diablo2, duping actually helped it in many ways because there was no centralized database of items and it let players obtain many low chance drops that they otherwise would have never legitimately seen.

25. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 05:22 Krovven

Dev wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 03:31:
Does the fact that Kevin used mostly social engineering for his exploits mean that people don't call him a hacker?

Assuming you are talking about Mitnick, he was a hacker. He hacked into networks, stole personal information, exploited it and profited from it to the detriment of thousands of people. He continued to do it while running from the law. He was tried and convicted for hacking into a network and stealing software, not for social engineering.

People that cheat in games don't goto jail. People that hack servers to steal credit card and personal information, goto jail.

As for the rollback policy, it's the same for WoW, difference is that WoW's items are Bind on Equip. This isn't a situation where people are duping items at will and bringing thousands upon thousands of duplicate items into the game. A small number of people are submitting for compromised account restoration multiple times and abusing Blizzards policy.

My only issue with the change to make these items BoA on account restoration is that legit claims are hurt by it. I'd rather see Blizzard investigate on their end first, users with repeated claims.

Maybe allow one full account restoration. If they make the claim a second time within say 3-6 months, lock the account until they attach an Authenticator to the account. If they keep making the compromised account claim even with an Authenticator...ban them.

Dev wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 03:31:
They did!
For consoles

I've even considered D3 for my PS3...but two things are going to prevent me from buying it for PS3. They aren't using Bnet, so I can't use my existing characters and the shared, non-instanced loot. I've had mostly great experiences playing with random people on Bnet...that would be gone instantly if loot drops were shared.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 05:37.

24. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 05:09 Julio

I can't believe there's a market for Diablo 3 gear anymore, you'd think the duping isn't worthwhile because the game is so bad.  

23. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 04:47 theyarecomingforyou

The problem with this change is that people genuinely affected by account hacks (and my brother was one of them) will now be unable to trade the items stolen from them. This change punishes legitimate users.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 04:25 InBlack

Yeah so there are dupes, if the game was any good, the items interesting I would give a shit. Right now. I cant give two fucks for this clusterfuck of a game. Thank you ActiBlizz for fucking up my favorite franchise and my most anticipated sequel of the past 10 years. Thank you!  

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 03:31 Dev

Krovven wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:30:
This isn't item duping by way of cheating or using hacks. This is assholes abusing Blizzards account rollback policy for compromised accounts.
Does the fact that Kevin used mostly social engineering for his exploits mean that people don't call him a hacker?
Krovven wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:51:
I've always said I hope they add in offline for those that wanted it.
They did!
For consoles

20. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 02:04 Creston

And nobody at Blizzard thought about this? This type of item duping has been in circulation since Ultima Online.

Creston

19. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 01:04 deqer

Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 22:14:
why are you so defensive about it?
because, he's the only person at bluesnews who's playing D3 and has "2 characters in Inferno MP5 blah blah blah"

Don't insult his game! lol

18. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 00:53 jacobvandy

entr0py wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 00:29:
I think the Witcher 2 hit on a terrible compromise; DRM that no customer wants at release, followed within a few months by a patch that removes all the DRM. The publisher gets to tell shareholders that they prevented the earliest and most impulsive piracy, and customers are treated with respect in a pretty short timeframe. Everyone sort of wins (or at least we get screwed less).

If the customer didn't want the DRM, they should have bought it from GOG.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo