Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2013, 12:08 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 03:35:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 00:48:
They're shipping a game for $10 or more. I don't see how that's any different than most other kickstarters.

Oh FFS! Maybe I should do a KS that allows me to move to France and buy a winery in Bordeaux. I promise you'll get a bottle of wine in 3-5 years.

Someone I know did this. She bought a farm. Using Kickstarter. Promised people eggs or something.

People complained. Rightfully. Didn't matter, she got six figures and bought her goddamn house.

Of course, since she wasn't involved in the tech community, she didn't get the angry white male nerd response that this woman did. Whether what she did was right or not, the response she got is neither surprising nor called for. But, any time gender is mixed in a discussion about technology this happens.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2013, 12:01 Creston

They're shipping a game for $10 or more. I don't see how that's any different than most other kickstarters.

Oh FFS! Maybe I should do a KS that allows me to move to France and buy a winery in Bordeaux. I promise you'll get a bottle of wine in 3-5 years.

That would actually be permissible under Kickstarter rules, as far as I can tell.

This is a clear violation of KS's "No tuition" rule, and has been said below, KS really needs to start following its own fucking guidelines. But it seems all KS can think about anymore is that 3% (5%?) they get off every succesful project.

Furthermore, the woman saying that she's going to not use the funds for what she said she would is an even more blatant violation of the rules. KS should just man up and take this thing down.

All the other crap is just standard internet bullshit.

Creston

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2013, 05:07 Julio

Kickstarter should apply their own rules to the situation, but if people want to fund rich kids to go to camp they can. Just shouldn't be a Kickstarter.  

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2013, 04:37 InBlack

Fucking hell Id fund that shit...

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2013, 04:00 Dev

For $5 with free shipping, I'd do it

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2013, 03:35 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2013, 00:48 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 27, 2013, 00:12 eRe4s3r

The same discussion happened with Penny Arcade Kickstarter .. that caused a relatively huge ruckus back then (maybe you missed that.. ?) of course the death threats and whatever else are way way too much. But in principle I agree that KS should start enforcing their own rules... the problem isn't that these KS attempts are there, the problem is that KS has rules against them yet says these KS attempts are OK.

Why it spiraled so far out of control over this I don't know, but on the principle note, that this KS should be closed down for rule violation, I agree. Not to make a 9 year old girl sad, but because KS is no place to fund education for children, at least according to the rules. Obviously the site staff doesn't act according to them.

You gotta realize that the shitstorm weather is unpredictable, it could have hit any KS in this time-frame. But it hit the perfect target here. An absolute 100% clear violation of

Kickstarter does not allow charity, cause, or "fund my life" projects.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 26, 2013, 23:50 PropheT

The internet's fine with Penny Arcade doing a kickstarter to fund a site that's already successful, and are happy to hop on board with other kickstarters that don't give clear indications as to what they're doing with the money past their initial goals (or even before them), but they jump on this one?

I'm not about to throw money at it, but aside from the things other people here mention it's just not that big of a deal. It seems like people are only angry about it because they found an easy target, not because something really wrong is happening.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 26, 2013, 23:46 Rawdge

I almost directed this at the Kotaku conversation, but, that already seems like a lost cause. Besides, I'm here reading everyday, so I thought I'd contribute to this community instead.

The death threats involved with this situation are beyond ridiculous. I can understand someone being a little concerned about the exploitation of this whole situation, but escalating it to death threats is... wow.

Maybe I'm naive. Gods know I've been known to look a little too hard for a silver lining where there may not always be one. But given the fact that the mother in this case is an entrepreneur, it's possible that this whole thing was an exercise to teach her young daughter a few lessons. Things like:

1. Find any and all conscionable means to achieve your dreams. Conscionable being the keyword here, and asking for help from a generous community seems at least reasonable.

2. Do not be daunted or deterred in your pursuit of your dreams. Supposing this didn't turn into rampant hate-slinging, there was a chance it would have succeeded, and a chance that it wouldn't have. Being brave enough to be willing to face potential rejection and failure are hard - yet valuable - lessons.

3. Accept the burden of responsibility, and use it as motivation. With so many people reaching out to help you, it implies a sense of urgency, duty, and motivation to do your very best, or risk disappointing those who have supported you.

And so on and so forth. Again, maybe I'm just offering the benefit of the doubt where one shouldn't be given. Maybe I'm seeing a silver lining because I hope there is one where there may not be. But damn, even if it is a scam, are death threats from random strangers really warranted? I mean, there's always the chance that I could get hit by a bus crossing a street, but I'm still willing to cross the street. If you're too afraid of the bus, stay on the sidewalk, but don't wear a sandwich board calling for the deaths of those that are willing to take the risk of crossing. That's "crazy person on the street corner with a megaphone and a sandwich board" level of crazy.

~ Rawdge

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 26, 2013, 23:40 eRe4s3r

KS allows a lot of weird funding drives so this one fits right in. But imo it's a clear KS "no Tutoring" rule violation. That KS doesn't apply their own rules is well known though.

And secondly, a 9 year old has no legal contract right, that means the "Kickstarter" Is for a rich women with a child who wants to fund tutoring (even if it involves game design). And thus a CLEAR as DAY violation of the no tutor/life funding rule.

Actually I am surprised Kickstarter doesn't punish these scam-like fundraisers, because every single one of them is damaging the core of Kickstarter.

Kickstarter should finally apply their own RULES for gods sake. Why even have them if you ignore them?

The trick is figuring out what to do with the money. Susan no longer wants to use it to pay for tuition for the RPG camp. She'll do that herself. Now she's looking for ideas on how to turn the raised funds into something positive

Also, this is a clearer violation of Kickstarter rules, funds are only to be applied and used for original stated intent.

Overall, this is a clusterfuck that only happens because Kickstarter stopped giving a shit and just greenlights everything nowadays....

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 26, 2013, 21:48 Cutter

This is just another reason when KS allows crap like this to happen that it's going to turn people off KS entirely. If it was my service I'd never allow shit like this to happen. Time to KS a KS alternative methinks.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo