Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced

Paradox Interactive announces Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition, an RPG from Behold Studios coming to Windows, OS X, and Linux PCs as well as mobiles later this quarter as an enhanced version of a game previously released for mobiles (as much as the title might suggest this was a tabletop RPG). This trailer shows the player as a dungeon master outfitting a game room and a cast of characters to play in a pen & paper/tabletop campaign, explaining both the title, and why they categorize this as a "meta-RPG." A website for the game is live, as is a twitter feed, a discussion forum, and a Facebook Page. Here's the announcement:

NEW YORK — March 26, 2013 — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of games and a level eight rules-lawyer, announced today that they will be bringing the acclaimed mobile meta-RPG Knights of Pen & Paper to the PC, Mac, and Linux platforms in a new version of the game called Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition. Forming a partnership with Behold Studios, developers of the original mobile title, Paradox will be casting several fortitude and agility buffs to help summon Knights of Pen & Paper onto desktops with +1 Edition, which will include new features, improvements, and content. +1 Edition will also be coming to mobile devices, with the game launching across all platforms in Q2 2013.

Roll your 20-sided die. If you roll a 10 or above, watch the following trailer:

If you roll a 9 or below, watch the trailer anyway: http://youtu.be/EPJvz-KClZM

“When we first saw Knights of Pen & Paper, the game scored a natural 20 on its Charm Person roll,” said Shams Jorjani, VP of Business Development and Corporate Paladin at Paradox Interactive. “We knew it was the kind of title that was right up our alley, and we’re glad to be able to keep supporting the Brazilian developer community with new partners like Behold Studios.”

Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition is an RPG-playing RPG, where players control players in-game at the dungeon master’s table – going on adventures with other tablemates and spending their gains to boost their warriors and mages while simultaneously improving the quality of their snacks, gaming table, and sourcebooks. Full campaigns will take the player-character-characters through a varied collection of monsters and quests, rendered in classic retro pixel art, while their in-game party squabbles with the DM about random encounters. Paradox and Behold are bringing the PCs (and NPCs) to PC (and Mac and Linux), and adding buffs to the mobile game while they’re at it.

Knights of Pen & Paper is a finalist in this year’s Independent Games Festival (IGF) in the “Student Showcase” category.

For more information on Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition, equip your +3 Mouse of Browsing and visit www.paradoxplaza.com.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 27, 2013, 09:23 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 20:15:
For me gameplay still wins over gfx. But sure, I'll take everything!

Yep. Don't care what it looks like - if it's fun, I'll grab it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 21:05 jdreyer

I get what the professor is saying, I just want good graphics with my games.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 26, 2013, 20:15 HorrorScope

For me gameplay still wins over gfx. But sure, I'll take everything!  

10. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 18:31 Cutter

Techie714 © wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 13:27:
I dont know about you guys but I'm so tired of these 8bit games that have been coming out lately. Many of these indie developers make some amazing games with great mechanics & just god awful graphics. Often when I mention this in other threads I get the following "OMG it's not about the graphics it's about the AMAZING games these people are making" Ummm yea but I need at least 2007 era graphics to really enjoy the game..lol. I think minecraft is an amazing concept & would actually love to play it if the game had Farcry 1 graphics, at least. Maybe I'm just in the minority here?

No, you're in the majority. Fuck the hipster douchebags that claim they love everything that's indie - at least for appearance sake. We had 8 and 16bit games because that's all the hardware supported, it's not what we wanted. If that were the case 3D game cards would have never caught on. We all wanted brilliant graphics and were just waiting for someone to deliver them. Remember how apeshit everyone went with the arrival of 3D cards! Much like Fleetwood Mac we're never goin' back again. This game is clearly designed for cells only. They can have their 8bit crap while I'm enjoying gloriously gorgeous graphics from Project Eternity, et al.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 17:03 PHJF

Graphics are a luxury. These people don't likely don't have the time, skills, manpower or (most importantly) money to go out and make a game on CryEngine3. "Indie Games" usually don't represent an established designer's 50th commercial product.

And in this specific case... it's a tongue-in-cheek computer game about pen-and-paper role playing games. Pen. And paper. This game looks fun.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 16:08 Frijoles

I dont know about you guys but I'm so tired of these 8bit games that have been coming out lately.

My thought is that they've always been coming out, not just lately. It's just that we're seeing more and more of them because of Steam and Kickstarter. In the past, a game with graphics like this would just be buried somewhere unless it hit a certain popularity.

I'm in the same boat, though. Although I grew up on games that looked like this, it's hard to get in to them these days. I'm glad they're being made and enjoyed (presumably), but they're not for me.

7. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 15:39 jdreyer

I dont know about you guys but I'm so tired of these 8bit games that have been coming out lately. Many of these indie developers make some amazing games with great mechanics & just god awful graphics. Often when I mention this in other threads I get the following "OMG it's not about the graphics it's about the AMAZING games these people are making" Ummm yea but I need at least 2007 era graphics to really enjoy the game..lol. I think minecraft is an amazing concept & would actually love to play it if the game had Farcry 1 graphics, at least. Maybe I'm just in the minority here?

I'm totally with you. And I say that as someone who loves Minecraft and who played Defender's Quest all the way through. It *can* work, but it has to be done perfectly. There have been too many.

I guess I'd rather have an 8 bit FTL than no FTL at all, but yeah, how cool would FTL be with complete 3 D ships, animations, and environments? And imagine Minecraft, not only with full graphics, but all the building and crafting in realistic 3 D instead of blocks. Miner Wars proved it could be done.

Anyway, this doesn't look too interesting to me.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 15:17 Keith

The gameplay looks kind of cool; like you are sitting around a table back in the day. I will also have to add my vote to the "too bad about the graphics" list. I don't necerssarily think graphics are the be-all and end-all, but jesus, 8-bit sucked even when it was all there was. Why would you go back?  

5. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 14:33 avianflu

I hate cellphone games but this one was a rarity. turn-based and it has some actual strategy. And no freemium crap. After 10 hours you've seem most of the game though.

I am currently playing RPG's from the GBA on an android emulator and you guys are missing out. Shining Force I and 2 were great. Several more of that type to go. Perfect for the train.

4. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 14:16 Techie714 ©

Atomic wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 14:06:
Nope, I am with you. I can't even play games from the early aughts unless someone has made a hi-res texture pack for it.

This!

Glad I'm not alone

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 14:06 Atomic

Nope, I am with you. I can't even play games from the early aughts unless someone has made a hi-res texture pack for it.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

2. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 13:42 Optional Nickname!

Very few of us who enjoyed 'arcade-style' graphics back in the day turn away from it now. Even the next generation of gamers who never stepped foot in an arcade had arcade-style graphics in most of the first generation consoles.

Familiarity, what I described above, is an important factor in making the graphics/visual interface transparent. That transparency helps make a good game, great. Such as more time to focus on the parts of the game you want to rather than try to make out what you are looking at.

Also, fancy and imagination are critical in some genres and when you have only photo-real units and landscapes you tend to lose the ability to fantasize about what they could look like.

Do not think of the two visual approaches as contradictory, think of them more like cartoons/fine art. Both are legitimate forms of creative expression.

1. Re: Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Edition Announced Mar 26, 2013, 13:27 Techie714 ©

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo