Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite

2K Games officially announces the release of BioShock Infinite, highlighting the great reviews contributing to the shooter sequel's sky high Metacritic rating. Here's word:

Windsor, UK – March 26, 2013 – 2K and Irrational Games today announced that BioShock® Infinite from Irrational Games is now available for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The highly anticipated narrative-driven first-person shooter has critics raving and is the highest rated* game of the year, with perfect review scores of 10 out of 10 from Game Informer, 10 out of 10 from Eurogamer, 4 out of 4 stars from USA Today, and many more.

“Today’s the day we’ve been looking forward to. Our redefinition of BioShock is ready to be delivered from our hands to those of gamers around the world,” said Ken Levine, Creative Director and co-founder of Irrational Games. “We believe Infinite is very much a BioShock experience, but at the same time something very fresh that both fans of the original and newcomers to the series will be able to enjoy.”

“2K and Irrational Games are committed to bringing players experiences they cannot find anywhere else,” added Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “From the crumbling city of Rapture to the clear skies of Columbia, we’re proud to help Irrational Games bring their unique vision to players around the world.”

BioShock Infinite puts players in the shoes of U.S. Cavalry veteran turned hired gun Booker DeWitt. Indebted to the wrong people and with his life on the line, DeWitt has only one opportunity to wipe his slate clean. He must rescue Elizabeth, a mysterious girl imprisoned since childhood and locked up in the flying city of Columbia. Forced to trust one another, Booker and Elizabeth form a powerful bond during their daring escape. Together, they learn to harness an expanding arsenal of weapons and abilities as they fight on zeppelins in the clouds, along high-speed Sky-Lines, and down in the streets of Columbia, all while surviving the threats of the air-city and uncovering its dark secret.

*Based on Metacritic average ranking across available platforms as of March 25, 2013.

View
103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 13:31 Quinn

Creston wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 13:09:
So to those who have played it: how scripted is it? Obviously once a battle is going, the AI is going to do different things (or at least I hope it does), but is everything in between as scripted and on-rails as it appeared from the trailers?

To illustrate, if you entered an area and a combat ensued, if you reloaded to the previous checkpoint (fuck checkpoints, btw,) would the battle start up again in the exact same fashion?

Creston

You'll encounter the same amount of enemies but other than that it's just dynamic AI as you know it from most non-COD-kinda FPS games.

You played Bioshock 1 and 2? It's basically like that.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 13:09 Creston

So to those who have played it: how scripted is it? Obviously once a battle is going, the AI is going to do different things (or at least I hope it does), but is everything in between as scripted and on-rails as it appeared from the trailers?

To illustrate, if you entered an area and a combat ensued, if you reloaded to the previous checkpoint (fuck checkpoints, btw,) would the battle start up again in the exact same fashion?

Creston

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 13:07 nin

I figure it took me about 12-15 hours, but I really like to take my time and make sure I don't miss anything.

I'm the same way - my games tend to run long since I'll explore everywhere I can find.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 12:39 dj LiTh

Wow 93 user score....so i guess its a wild success....now to play bioshock 1 n 2  

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 12:21 Riker

I figure it took me about 12-15 hours, but I really like to take my time and make sure I don't miss anything. I played on Normal, but should've played on Hard.

One of the best games to come out in... years, at least. It wasn't perfect. I thought the structure of the story was a bit off, somehow. But oh do I have questions after that ending.

Adam Sessler's review sums up the game expertly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jchIi-vR_js

Levine and company ought to be very proud of their work. BioShock Infinite is a work of art.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 12:13 DarkCntry

10 hours on normal with minimal side exploration is how long it took me.

Had no crashes on my HD7970, everything on ultra minus a few lighting effects (which went to high)...a very, very enjoyable game and the story was a least far more cohesive than the previous two, especially for that last third of it.

I thought I was going to be annoyed that I'd be dragging Elizabeth around, but was happily surprised to not be. Her extent of participation in fights is the occasional resource toss or to use her tear ability, there's no protecting her required. Oddly, I did find myself wondering why I didn't need to protect the person I'm supposed to be kidnapping from them trying to take her back...

Columbia is, by far, a better environment than Rapture...seeing it alive is probably the biggest asset it has.

All-in-all, I give the game a 90/100...docking points only for a few quibbles...tonics weren't as special this time around and I found myself doing more melee attacks on the riff-raff, and a total lack of fear when facing Handymen or Patriots which I had when having to determine how to take down a Big Daddy...

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:58 Verno

Darks wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:55:
Verno, I had not had any crashes related to Check points. Personally I have not had any of that happen to me. If you guys own an NVidia card you should update your drivers, new ones came out yesterday for this game.

Oh I think we misunderstood each other there, I was just saying I've experienced some crashes (ambient occlusion and Vsync together on some cards seem to cause them going by the forums), not that the checkpoints were causing crashes or etc I'm running the latest drivers from yesterday. Disabling AO also hugely boosts framerate and you don't lose much visually IMHO.

Also yeah, no need to pay $60 for this, there are a ton of places selling it cheaper or with packed in games, etc.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:55 Darks

Ratty wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:46:
vrok wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:32:
Checkpoint system combined with resurrection drives me nuts.
So what does that mean, checkpoint system? And why does it suck? By resurrection do you mean something like the old Vita chamber system? No way to turn it off?

I was going to wait for the price to come down but goddamit if I don't have a stinkin 4-day weekend coming up.

Truthfully, if you guys did not take advantage of all the pre Sales then you lost out. But you will not be disappointed in the game. It’s been an absolute blast. It was getting pretty late for me last night and because I had to go to work today, I did not want to stop playing it. It just pulls you in and keeps you wanting to play more. Just sitting here counting down the hours till I can get home and play some more.

Verno, I have not had any crashes related to Check points. Personally I have not had any of that happen to me. If you guys own an NVidia card you should update your drivers, new ones came out yesterday for this game.

BTW, I think you should be able to return, I remember finding a key and it told me that you can return to areas you had already visited. I did that since there was a chest I left behind that I found the key.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2013, 12:12.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:52 vrok

So what does that mean, checkpoint system? And why does it suck? By resurrection do you mean something like the old Vita chamber system? No way to turn it off?

I was going to wait for the price to come down but goddamit if I don't have a stinkin 4-day weekend coming up.
I've only played 1999 mode so I can't confirm exactly how it works on normal difficulty levels.

There's a standard checkpoint save system instead of quicksaves. When you die, you get resurrected in close proximity to where you died for the cost of a small amount of money. When you run out of money you'll be dumped to the main menu and forced to reload from last checkpoint. Checkpoints are sometimes very sparsely placed so you either end up grinding the enemy down with resurrections, or accept replaying 5 minutes or more until you get back to where you were seemingly almost every time you die.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:50 Verno

You can't freely save, the game checkpoints periodically (not often enough in some cases and too often in others). I got locked out of a sidequest since it checkpointed me past a story point, no clue if I'll be able to return. Not the end of the world but annoying. On the flipside I quit last night and lost a good 15 mins of progress since it hadn't autosaved lately.

The resurrection functionality is still there but you're brought back through your old office that is actually a tear in the...nevermind its silly even explaining it It's basically the same thing.

Using 1999 mode supposedly disables the resurrection system (I haven't tried this yet), I can't remember if you can disable it in the options for the other difficulties though. Although personally I don't think it matters much because the difference between the resurrection system and a game over screen are the same - some loading.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2013, 12:00.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:46 Ratty

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:43 Xero

Just how impressive can an FPS truely be these days? Haven't we seen everything already??? And they talk about the RTS genre growing old back when? During early 2000? I'm sure it wasn't the FPS fans that said that...  

Currently playing: Skyrim

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:33 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:09:
So everyone is loving the game so far?

About 8 hours in, it's pretty damned impressive. Amazing visuals and some fantastic art design, Columbia just oozes ambiance. It's one of the most convincing settings I've seen. The story so far is pretty good, definitely heads and tails above the usual videogame writing. It is very cool to be experiencing the fall of a dystopian world and not just seeing the aftermath like with Rapture. The gunplay is much improved from Bioshock although I wouldn't say it's very compelling on its own. Bioshock Infinite is definitely one of those sum of its parts games. Anything on it's own wouldn't be enough in any other game but as a package everything meshes really well.

Cons - checkpointing, some crashes, no enemies as challenging as the Big Daddy, 1999 Mode sucks and I don't like their implementation for Vigor customization. Gear stuff is also pretty unbalanced, half of the items are terrible and the others are no brainer improvements. Lack of melee buffs, it becomes useless halfway through the game.

My biggest surprise is that I figured the skyline system would be awful but I use it during fights whenever I see it available, it really enhances the combat.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2013, 11:44.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:32 vrok

Gunplay is mediocre as expected. Checkpoint system combined with resurrection drives me nuts. Constantly having to rely on the girl throwing you shit drives me nuts. Very boring vigors so far (I have 5). Toggle crouch/zoom, no option for holding. Inventory screen sucks. Some form of texture loading stuttering seems to be present with Nvidia GPUs. 1999 mode difficulty mainly stems from enemies taking enormous amounts of punishment before they go down which is a shame.

I was rather surprised to see that you get to keep the regenerating shield in 1999 mode as that's not very 1999 at all and just promotes typical modern hide and recharge gameplay. They really should have gotten rid of that instead of buffing enemy HP to absurd levels.

Overall the gameplay is average at best. It relies heavily on its storytelling/setting to get you to like it.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2013, 11:45.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:30 Nate

I'll buy it after the price comes down. A partly on rails FPS doesn't peak my interest where I'll pay $60.  

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:18 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:12:
Some of us are at WORK, counting the hours...

edit: and up to 96 on metacritic...

Indeed. Stupid real world and your exchanging money for goods and services.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:17 nin

Ill just add this about the start of the game; It blew me away when you’re in the city walking around exploring and enjoying the setting.

That already addresses what I wanted to see in Rapture: The city before it fell...kept hoping we'd see it in a sequel, and never did.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:16 Darks

Ill just add this about the start of the game; It blew me away when you’re in the city walking around exploring and enjoying the setting. Then you come to a part in the game where you were not expecting what is about to happen and all hell breaks loose. That was a great opening.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:14 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:12:
Very nice, I should grab it then.

Yes. Yes you should!

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 11:12 SpectralMeat

Very nice, I should grab it then.  

Steam: SpectralMeat