Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite

2K Games officially announces the release of BioShock Infinite, highlighting the great reviews contributing to the shooter sequel's sky high Metacritic rating. Here's word:

Windsor, UK – March 26, 2013 – 2K and Irrational Games today announced that BioShock® Infinite from Irrational Games is now available for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The highly anticipated narrative-driven first-person shooter has critics raving and is the highest rated* game of the year, with perfect review scores of 10 out of 10 from Game Informer, 10 out of 10 from Eurogamer, 4 out of 4 stars from USA Today, and many more.

“Today’s the day we’ve been looking forward to. Our redefinition of BioShock is ready to be delivered from our hands to those of gamers around the world,” said Ken Levine, Creative Director and co-founder of Irrational Games. “We believe Infinite is very much a BioShock experience, but at the same time something very fresh that both fans of the original and newcomers to the series will be able to enjoy.”

“2K and Irrational Games are committed to bringing players experiences they cannot find anywhere else,” added Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “From the crumbling city of Rapture to the clear skies of Columbia, we’re proud to help Irrational Games bring their unique vision to players around the world.”

BioShock Infinite puts players in the shoes of U.S. Cavalry veteran turned hired gun Booker DeWitt. Indebted to the wrong people and with his life on the line, DeWitt has only one opportunity to wipe his slate clean. He must rescue Elizabeth, a mysterious girl imprisoned since childhood and locked up in the flying city of Columbia. Forced to trust one another, Booker and Elizabeth form a powerful bond during their daring escape. Together, they learn to harness an expanding arsenal of weapons and abilities as they fight on zeppelins in the clouds, along high-speed Sky-Lines, and down in the streets of Columbia, all while surviving the threats of the air-city and uncovering its dark secret.

*Based on Metacritic average ranking across available platforms as of March 25, 2013.

View
103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 17:06 xXBatmanXx

Some of you need to learn spoiler tags. Shouldn't really be talking about content....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 16:52 KilrathiAce

I am glad that 200 mil budget managed to produce a good game. sheesh  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:58 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 15:38:
Has it ever actually been proven that publishers pay for game reviews?

For the one or two people who actually doubt this happens, go check out the EGM review of Aliens Colonial Marines. I've never seen a more blatant example. Whether it's direct or indirect they definitely 'sponsor' reviews let's say which in real world terms means they are buying them off with advertising dollars. Did that happen with this game and IGN? It doesn't like it matters because most of the user scores seem to be in line with the reviews.

I am really looking forward to playing this now, thanks for all of the info everyone.

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:53 Mashiki Amiketo

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:09:
So everyone is loving the game so far?
3.5hrs in, solid 90's game IMO, hell of a lot darker then the first one. Lack of a save feature sucks though, and the handholding does suck sometimes.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:53 Flatline

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 15:42:
Input was really wonky on my Logitech gaming mouse, but I have set the in-game sensitivity to the lowest level, turned off acceleration, and then manually increased the DPI sensitivity levels of the mouse. Afterward, I get a smooth, highly-responsive input.
I hope gaming didn't just peak until the end of the year.
Thinking this is a great game and a proper sequel to Bioshock,
Ray

Same here. Everyone was bitching about the mouse.

The first 30-45 minutes are absolutely fantastic from the moment you see Columbia to when combat starts. Especially when you first leave the rocket. Also, seeing the... drift... in philosophy from that New Garden of Eden to the Society of Crows is interesting.

The art direction is insane. I'm sure I'm missing a lot and I'm taking my time and being a total tourist. At Battleship Bay I caught myself singing along with the calliope music because... it was Tears for Fears Everybody Wants To Rule The World. Which I picked up because I let Elizabeth run around the beach and check things out for like 15 minutes. It was bittersweet watching her try all these new little things for the first time.

Haven't gotten much past that, but Elizabeth does a fine job of emoting in the game and her voice acting is top notch.

Also, the brutality involved with skyhook executions... well... your character is not a nice guy.

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:42 Ray Marden

Based only on the early levels, they appear to be split up into specific areas (buildings, airship, market area, etc.) and the enemies walk around their given area. If they spot you, they attack and there are a finite amount of enemies, but they can respawn.

I noticed this when backtracking to unlock the first safe - enemies in one specific area had respawned and it was either based upon time or due to my having gone X many areas ahead of that one. At least early on, turrets appear static; once they are destroyed, they will not respawn with the other NPCs.

I don't get the impression that they roam outside of their designated area, but there really is not much of a reason to do so given the vertical, separate design of the buildings/levels. Likewise, I have not yet seen a NPC follow me to a new area - they don't appear to open doors/levers. Also, remember that not everybody in BI is an enemy.

Input was really wonky on my Logitech gaming mouse, but I have set the in-game sensitivity to the lowest level, turned off acceleration, and then manually increased the DPI sensitivity levels of the mouse. Afterward, I get a smooth, highly-responsive input.
I hope gaming didn't just peak until the end of the year.
Thinking this is a great game and a proper sequel to Bioshock,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:38 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 15:13:
Darks wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:11:

It defiantly deserves many of those high rated scores it’s been getting. 9.6 Without a doubt.

So, IGN WASN'T bought and paid for?

That depends was Bioshock advertised on any of their sites? Then yes they got paid for advertisements. Has it ever actually been proven that publishers pay for game reviews?

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:22 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 15:17:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 14:15:
Creston wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 13:53:
So are the enemies roaming free through the levels? Or are they static and tied to a location?
Even in open world games I think it is pretty rare to see that, at least I do not remember seeing that in any games I play.
They usually just paroling or moving around a predefined pattern they do not wonder off around the level.
Did you see that in any games Creston?

It's hard to explain what I'm really getting at. One of the things that I loved about the original Bioshock is that all enemies were just roaming throughout the level, minus a few scripted ones. You could run into a new group of splicers basically anywhere, and of course the Big Daddies roamed wherever.

From the trailers, it seemed as if Infinite just had static enemies that wouldn't actively engage until you got to their area.

Creston
I see what you mean

Steam: SpectralMeat

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:17 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 14:15:
So are the enemies roaming free through the levels? Or are they static and tied to a location?
Even in open world games I think it is pretty rare to see that, at least I do not remember seeing that in any games I play.
They usually just paroling or moving around a predefined pattern they do not wonder off around the level.

It's hard to explain what I'm really getting at. One of the things that I loved about the original Bioshock is that all enemies were just roaming throughout the level, minus a few scripted ones. You could run into a new group of splicers basically anywhere, and of course the Big Daddies roamed wherever.

From the trailers, it seemed as if Infinite just had static enemies that wouldn't actively engage until you got to their area.

Creston

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:15 SpectralMeat

It defiantly deserves many of those high rated scores it’s been getting. 9.6 Without a doubt.

I am sure they were, but maybe they were right this one time

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:15 nin

It is curious why, when all the other reviews were so positive, they chose to give IGN the exclusive. If anything, it made them look questionable in the short term.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:13 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 14:54 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 14:33:
What are the differences between the difficulties? I bought this but won't be able to play until the weekend so I want to be ready to go by then.

Normal is pretty easy. I don't know how far into the game I am, but I haven't died, or even really felt all that threatened despite quite a bit of combat. Normal is what I'd recommend for someone who has played shooters, but wants to see the story with just enough challenge to keep fighting interesting without slowing them down a great deal.

The game is fantastic, though, especially the first introduction to Columbia. I walked around and looked at things for a long time before really progressing anywhere, listening to music and seeing what people were saying and kind of falling in love with the place. And then the real game starts with a jarring gut punch that really lets you in on what you've been looking at in a way that really hasn't been in a game before this one.

I definitely don't want to give any spoilers, but with how big of a deal some media made out of the non-issues of things like same-sex relationships in ME3 I'll be curious to see what stories are written about this game, considering the sensitivity of some of the imagery it invokes. I didn't follow the game at all, so had no idea what to expect and was sort of surprised at how much it bothered me when I ran into it (in the emotional response to storytelling sort of way, not in the offended sense). It might be the first real unapologetic adult-oriented game I've played before.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 14:39 Verno

Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 14:33:
What are the differences between the difficulties? I bought this but won't be able to play until the weekend so I want to be ready to go by then.

Damage modifiers and health mostly. Enemies on 1999 have crazy health compared to Hard. There are also less health and salt drops, not sure about currency. Maybe vrok can shed more light on it, I didn't spend a lot of time with it because it seemed hokey compared to Hard. I didn't like how bullet spongey even the early game enemies were so I just went back. Hard is a nice balance, it's challenging without being frustrating IMO. Wait til you get the shield though, your health will disappear like nothing in the beginning but it changes a lot when you get the shield.

Oh for anyone else who did the Industrial Revolution things, you don't get the rewards until about 30 mins into the game.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 14:33 Redmask

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 14:22 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:50:
Ratty wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:46:
vrok wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:32:
Checkpoint system combined with resurrection drives me nuts.
So what does that mean, checkpoint system? And why does it suck? By resurrection do you mean something like the old Vita chamber system? No way to turn it off?

I was going to wait for the price to come down but goddamit if I don't have a stinkin 4-day weekend coming up.

You can't freely save, the game checkpoints periodically (not often enough in some cases and too often in others). I got locked out of a sidequest since it checkpointed me past a story point, no clue if I'll be able to return. Not the end of the world but annoying. On the flipside I quit last night and lost a good 15 mins of progress since it hadn't autosaved lately.

The resurrection functionality is still there but you're brought back through your old office that is actually a tear in the...nevermind its silly even explaining it It's basically the same thing.

Using 1999 mode supposedly disables the resurrection system (I haven't tried this yet), I can't remember if you can disable it in the options for the other difficulties though. Although personally I don't think it matters much because the difference between the resurrection system and a game over screen are the same - some loading.

So you haven't tried 1999 mode but it sucks according to your previous post. I've only played about a half hour so far but between all the good impressions and high review scores, it sounds like a fantastic game.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 14:15 SpectralMeat

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 14:04 Verno

That's the coolest part of this game, basically being a part of the fall of a dystopian world.

From what I've seen its mostly static placement but I don't think you would notice much unless you replayed sequences multiple times. It's not open world though, there are sections where you can explore but for the most part its a linear experience.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 14:01 Capella

nin wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:17:
Ill just add this about the start of the game; It blew me away when you’re in the city walking around exploring and enjoying the setting.

That already addresses what I wanted to see in Rapture: The city before it fell...kept hoping we'd see it in a sequel, and never did.

Maybe we will get a prequel one day. It would be awesome to see Rapture in the beginning and play up to the end.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 13:53 Creston

Quinn wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 13:31:
You'll encounter the same amount of enemies but other than that it's just dynamic AI as you know it from most non-COD-kinda FPS games.

You played Bioshock 1 and 2? It's basically like that.

Creston

103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo