Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite

2K Games officially announces the release of BioShock Infinite, highlighting the great reviews contributing to the shooter sequel's sky high Metacritic rating. Here's word:

Windsor, UK – March 26, 2013 – 2K and Irrational Games today announced that BioShock® Infinite from Irrational Games is now available for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The highly anticipated narrative-driven first-person shooter has critics raving and is the highest rated* game of the year, with perfect review scores of 10 out of 10 from Game Informer, 10 out of 10 from Eurogamer, 4 out of 4 stars from USA Today, and many more.

“Today’s the day we’ve been looking forward to. Our redefinition of BioShock is ready to be delivered from our hands to those of gamers around the world,” said Ken Levine, Creative Director and co-founder of Irrational Games. “We believe Infinite is very much a BioShock experience, but at the same time something very fresh that both fans of the original and newcomers to the series will be able to enjoy.”

“2K and Irrational Games are committed to bringing players experiences they cannot find anywhere else,” added Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “From the crumbling city of Rapture to the clear skies of Columbia, we’re proud to help Irrational Games bring their unique vision to players around the world.”

BioShock Infinite puts players in the shoes of U.S. Cavalry veteran turned hired gun Booker DeWitt. Indebted to the wrong people and with his life on the line, DeWitt has only one opportunity to wipe his slate clean. He must rescue Elizabeth, a mysterious girl imprisoned since childhood and locked up in the flying city of Columbia. Forced to trust one another, Booker and Elizabeth form a powerful bond during their daring escape. Together, they learn to harness an expanding arsenal of weapons and abilities as they fight on zeppelins in the clouds, along high-speed Sky-Lines, and down in the streets of Columbia, all while surviving the threats of the air-city and uncovering its dark secret.

*Based on Metacritic average ranking across available platforms as of March 25, 2013.

View
103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

63. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 21:20 bigspender

seeing as this si so successful, and since they have gotten out of the ocean and into the sky, lets hope that they keep going up higher, and eventually get into space itself for the next game. And they could call it system shock - and the bad guy could be a female AI. And it could have coop.

Btw is there an FOV slider?

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 21:08 Krizzen

vrok wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 11:32:
I was rather surprised to see that you get to keep the regenerating shield in 1999 mode as that's not very 1999 at all and just promotes typical modern hide and recharge gameplay.

BAHAHAHA! Pass! I'll just watch this one on YouTube!

61. psychomoggiebagpuss@hotmail.com Mar 26, 2013, 20:46 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Creston wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 17:36:
Thanks Ray!

I gotta admit, I was going to skip this, but people are making it sound really awesome. I'll have to pick this up when I have some time. First I gotta finish Anno, Tropico 4 and Sleeping Dogs. And then I think Shadowrun will be out... This may become a Christmas Steam Sale title...

Creston

You don't finish Anno. You do the tutorials/deeper ocean missions and then you have fun in the continuous game!
(though I do recommend using a calculator such as http://anno2070.atspace.eu/ ).
BS3 does seem to be one of those rare games that's worth the full price.
If you're going to wait for the sales though try and avoid any spoilers or indepth reviews.
I'm usually one of those explore everywhere types but I've been skipping stuff just to find out what happens next as the story (and characters) are so captivating.

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

60. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 20:32 nin

Threw some screenshots up here (no spoilers, just exploring the city)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

59. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 20:11 nin

For anyone who hasn't played the game and doesn't intend to, get your shit together.

I concur.

58. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 20:01 Riker

Just a head's up. To anyone who hasn't played the game but intends to, I'd strongly recommend avoiding reading BioShock Infinite threads or forums until you do. For anyone who hasn't played the game and doesn't intend to, get your shit together.

As for the lack of quicksave, it was a non-issue for me. There's a respawn mechanism ala BioShock 1, and the game auto-saves frequently enough.

57. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 20:01 nin

90 minutes in...all I can say is "WOW!".

Early candidate for GOTY...

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 19:49 Dev

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 18:05:
I'd be interested to know what publisher push back is though, what exactly that entails. Does it mean less advertisements bought if a game doesn't score a certain way? Etc? Again not trying to dismiss it, it certainly wouldn't surprise me that it happens.
It means anything they can do. And less advertisements is just one of the ways. For instance, no advance review copies, no review copies period, no exclusives before embargoes expire, no sending concept art to post, no interviews, etc.
All of that can vastly change a site's traffic.

In extreme measures, they could even deny a site permission to post things like pics about the game.

55. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 19:45 Fion

I'm a number of hours in now, having lots of fun. I don't think it's the best game in years (I think there were a dozen games last year alone just as good) and I don't think its as good as Bioshock 1, but it's still the best game in a so-far rather disappointing year.  

54. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 19:22 eDave

Ratty wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 17:15:
No quicksaves is a deal breaker for me. Won't be getting this until it's on a cheap sale sometime down the road.

Seriously? That's just silly.

53. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 19:07 JayDeath

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 18:10:
Save system is the biggest mistake they made in the game. It has checkpoint and only one slot--so no sharing the game with other family members. The mouse sensitivity and key binding could use some work also.

But it is fun.

I concur. I'm not too miffed at the checkpoint feature as it has kinda become standard these days. I've played about an hour or so. The atmosphere is pretty fantastic! And I try to stay away from preorders but the gmg deal was sick and kind of a no brainer.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 18:57 Redmask

I can't play it til this weekend but I bought it. It looks like a fantastic game and I want to support companies who do this kind of sequel instead of a play it safe, simple follow up like we see from EA. What kind of message would it send just 'steam saling' games like this and buying other crap unseen? Hell it's only $45 at GMG right now. The quick save thing might bug me but its not a deal breaker, I've tolerated much worse for lesser games.  

51. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 18:10 Marvin T. Martian

Save system is the biggest mistake they made in the game. It has checkpoint and only one slot--so no sharing the game with other family members. The mouse sensitivity and key binding could use some work also.

But it is fun.

50. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 18:05 RollinThundr

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 18:00:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 17:54:
That seems centered on PC Gamer and Edge magazine rather than publishers. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it was a serious question because I see the comment of "paid review" tossed around enough that I was curious as to whether or not there was actual proof.

Have you ever heard of Jeff Gerstmann http://tinyurl.com/84mjx3e

Oh man that's right I forgot about the whole Kane and Lynch thing and Gertsmann leaving gamespot to start giantbomb. I'd be interested to know what publisher push back is though, what exactly that entails. Does it mean less advertisements bought if a game doesn't score a certain way? Etc? Again not trying to dismiss it, it certainly wouldn't surprise me that it happens.

49. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 18:00 SpectralMeat

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 17:54:
That seems centered on PC Gamer and Edge magazine rather than publishers. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it was a serious question because I see the comment of "paid review" tossed around enough that I was curious as to whether or not there was actual proof.

Have you ever heard of Jeff Gerstmann http://tinyurl.com/84mjx3e

Steam: SpectralMeat

48. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 17:54 RollinThundr

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 17:25:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 15:38:
That depends was Bioshock advertised on any of their sites? Then yes they got paid for advertisements. Has it ever actually been proven that publishers pay for game reviews?
Take it or leave it as you wish.

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 17:36 Creston

Thanks Ray!

I gotta admit, I was going to skip this, but people are making it sound really awesome. I'll have to pick this up when I have some time. First I gotta finish Anno, Tropico 4 and Sleeping Dogs. And then I think Shadowrun will be out... This may become a Christmas Steam Sale title...

Creston

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 17:25 Mashiki Amiketo

That depends was Bioshock advertised on any of their sites? Then yes they got paid for advertisements. Has it ever actually been proven that publishers pay for game reviews?
Take it or leave it as you wish.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 17:19 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 15:58:
Has it ever actually been proven that publishers pay for game reviews?

For the one or two people who actually doubt this happens, go check out the EGM review of Aliens Colonial Marines. I've never seen a more blatant example. Whether it's direct or indirect they definitely 'sponsor' reviews let's say which in real world terms means they are buying them off with advertising dollars. Did that happen with this game and IGN? It doesn't like it matters because most of the user scores seem to be in line with the reviews.

I am really looking forward to playing this now, thanks for all of the info everyone.

Depends on "buying," though, right?
I guarantee no one said to EGM "hey, we'll give you $500 per point you rate us!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 17:15 Ratty

No quicksaves is a deal breaker for me. Won't be getting this until it's on a cheap sale sometime down the road.  

103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo