Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite

2K Games officially announces the release of BioShock Infinite, highlighting the great reviews contributing to the shooter sequel's sky high Metacritic rating. Here's word:

Windsor, UK – March 26, 2013 – 2K and Irrational Games today announced that BioShock® Infinite from Irrational Games is now available for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The highly anticipated narrative-driven first-person shooter has critics raving and is the highest rated* game of the year, with perfect review scores of 10 out of 10 from Game Informer, 10 out of 10 from Eurogamer, 4 out of 4 stars from USA Today, and many more.

“Today’s the day we’ve been looking forward to. Our redefinition of BioShock is ready to be delivered from our hands to those of gamers around the world,” said Ken Levine, Creative Director and co-founder of Irrational Games. “We believe Infinite is very much a BioShock experience, but at the same time something very fresh that both fans of the original and newcomers to the series will be able to enjoy.”

“2K and Irrational Games are committed to bringing players experiences they cannot find anywhere else,” added Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “From the crumbling city of Rapture to the clear skies of Columbia, we’re proud to help Irrational Games bring their unique vision to players around the world.”

BioShock Infinite puts players in the shoes of U.S. Cavalry veteran turned hired gun Booker DeWitt. Indebted to the wrong people and with his life on the line, DeWitt has only one opportunity to wipe his slate clean. He must rescue Elizabeth, a mysterious girl imprisoned since childhood and locked up in the flying city of Columbia. Forced to trust one another, Booker and Elizabeth form a powerful bond during their daring escape. Together, they learn to harness an expanding arsenal of weapons and abilities as they fight on zeppelins in the clouds, along high-speed Sky-Lines, and down in the streets of Columbia, all while surviving the threats of the air-city and uncovering its dark secret.

*Based on Metacritic average ranking across available platforms as of March 25, 2013.

View
103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

83. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 08:52 Verno

I am getting very close to the end I suspect and the game has just been getting better every time I play. I wish more games told a story so well with characters as compelling. I think the whole "videogames can be art" thing is overblown but damned if this isn't a good example to show to non-gamers who are skeptical.

I'm just glad I didn't get prematurely spoiled like many on other message boards.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

82. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 08:47 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Just finished it.

Goddamn that was a fine game. A couple of minor quibbles, but honestly that's just nitpicking.
Just make sure you watch through the end of the credits when you complete the game.

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

81. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 07:55 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 07:34:
Shocker, Verno trying to antagonize me again.

Nah, just responding to your "derp derp BoosNews is hypocrites derp" stuff. I have no problem with initial impressions, I post my own all the time.

They were initial impressions. I stated as such. My comments on the lack of graphical features, was to point out that nobody had even mentioned them yet. Which I found to be rather amusing considering how many folks around here rip into everything because they don't have those features.

I don't regularly see people ripping into games for their lack of proper volumetric smoke support but uhhh ok fair enough. It might happen but it's not such a frequent occurrance so as to label the entire community hypocrites because they didn't do it within 24 hours of the Bioshock Infinite release. People have been regularly dinging the game for its other negative features anyway, read the threads.

Would you care to contradict that the game has no dynamic lighting, no physics, no volumetric smoke, no mirror reflections, horrible breaking glass? Good luck, cus you can't. They were just observations. I play plenty of games that don't have those features. But considering the love this game is getting, and nobody had mentioned it...it was worth mentioning.

I think people accepted that it's a multiplatform game and if the game looked like shit then maybe those things would stand out but since other aspects are so strong it doesn't. They made some design concessions to accommodate consoles, no way they could have achieved what they did with UE otherwise. Would the game look better with those things? Sure.

So far, I still don't think it's a 95% game. As I play more that may go up from my thoughts on it being an 80% game. I also don't think the original Bioshock was a 95% game either.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I didn't think Aliens Colonial Marines was a 30% game, especially when compared to the last AvP game which averaged 65% and I found to be a far far worse (and more importantly un-fun) game than ACM.

That's fine, I don't really have a problem with how you personally score the game or what your impression of it is. It was more the accusation that people are hypocrites based on your 30 minutes of experience and a few quibbles about graphical effects.

80. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 07:34 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 07:22:

I don't know that 30 minutes of gameplay and a few minor quibbles would cause me to drastically lower my opinion of an otherwise great product but you can make that...claim if you like. The "irony" is thats the kind of thing you stomp your feet and wail at other people about doing here. If you actually read the posts in the threads here, you'll find the majority are positive but have listed specific complaints, I don't see any hypocrisy going on. For example people have cited aspects about the gameplay, the save system, technical issues, etc.

The BoosNews stuff is just LOL. Stop bein so durned positive guys!!

Shocker, Verno trying to antagonize me again.

They were initial impressions. I stated as such. My comments on the lack of graphical features, was to point out that nobody had even mentioned them yet. Which I found to be rather amusing considering how many folks around here rip into everything because they don't have those features.

Would you care to contradict that the game has no dynamic lighting, no physics, no volumetric smoke, no mirror reflections, horrible breaking glass? Good luck, cus you can't. They were just observations. I play plenty of games that don't have those features. But considering the love this game is getting, and nobody had mentioned it...it was worth mentioning.

I'm not hating on the game because of the lack of graphical features. I've even said to friends recently, I don't care if games have pre-baked lighting if they make good use of it and the game is good. Which this game does make good use of it. I also stated I could not comment too much on the gameplay as I had only played for 30min. But there are things obviously lacking. You have a problem with me posting initial impressions, that people asked for? Too fucking bad.

So far, I still don't think it's a 95% game. As I play more that may go up from my thoughts on it being an 80% game. I also don't think the original Bioshock was a 95% game either.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I didn't think Aliens Colonial Marines was a 30% game, especially when compared to the last AvP game which averaged 65% and I found to be a far far worse (and more importantly un-fun) game than ACM.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 07:43.

79. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 07:24 Krovven

I've played some more and I have to admit the game is getting better. Still not a fan of the whole religious theme.

Equipable gear with bonus effects (new), Vigors (spells) have a primary and alt ability (new). The alt ability so far is just a trap form of the primary attack. There are upgrades in the vending machines. As someone mentioned already though, there doesn't seem to be weapon upgrades.

Control on the rails is solid. I was a little worried about this.

Lots of little things to praise, but also lots of little things to complain about too. Lack of modern graphical features aside, the game looks great. The artists did an amazing job.

78. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 07:22 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 05:41:
Dev wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 04:41:
Well, when you are designing for the lowest common denominator with 500 megs of ram and obsolete graphics and CPU, that kinda thing happens.

These graphics features have also been around for YEARS now and there are console games that DO have all or some of these graphics features.

And my point was more about the love this game is getting from PC players, when it's missing many graphical features compared to other games while using an engine that is capable of those features, has dumbed down game mechanics from Bioshock (some folks here said the mechanics in Bioshock were dumbed down)...yet people still singing it's praises.

I haven't played far enough yet to get a sense of the game as a whole, I haven't even got to Elizabeth yet. These are all things I noticed within the first 30 minutes of play. My initial perception of the game is more of an 80% game than a 95% game. I'm not saying the game is bad by any stretch. I'm merely pointing out the irony and hypocrisy that is so prevalent around here.

I don't know that 30 minutes of gameplay and a few minor quibbles would cause me to drastically lower my opinion of an otherwise great product but you can make that...claim if you like. The "irony" is thats the kind of thing you stomp your feet and wail at other people about doing here. If you actually read the posts in the threads here, you'll find the majority are positive but have listed specific complaints, I don't see any hypocrisy going on. For example people have cited aspects about the gameplay, the save system, technical issues, etc.

The BoosNews stuff is just LOL. Stop bein so durned positive guys!!

77. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 05:41 Krovven

Dev wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 04:41:
Well, when you are designing for the lowest common denominator with 500 megs of ram and obsolete graphics and CPU, that kinda thing happens.

These graphics features have also been around for YEARS now and there are console games that DO have all or some of these graphics features.

And my point was more about the love this game is getting from PC players, when it's missing many graphical features compared to other games while using an engine that is capable of those features, has dumbed down game mechanics from Bioshock (some folks here said the mechanics in Bioshock were dumbed down)...yet people still singing it's praises.

I haven't played far enough yet to get a sense of the game as a whole, I haven't even got to Elizabeth yet. These are all things I noticed within the first 30 minutes of play. My initial perception of the game is more of an 80% game than a 95% game. I'm not saying the game is bad by any stretch. I'm merely pointing out the irony and hypocrisy that is so prevalent around here.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 05:58.

76. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 05:20 Mashiki Amiketo

Alright just finished it, and damn it all. Sure was good, I'll spoiler nothing, but I will say fine job on the game damn fine. If you haven't bought it, it's worth the price.

I know I missed a bunch of stuff but I've got 1999 mode unlocked so in a few weeks I guess I'll give it another go. Damn yeah.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

75. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 04:47 Quinn

Sepharo wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 00:56:
Alamar wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 22:53:
Too much hype... Couldn't resist... $45 on GMG...

Whaaa, now I see this?

www.go2arena.com ...28,- euros. Around 32 dollars.

As for the game, I love it but I hate the checkpoint system. Especially because of my NVIDIA driver crashes to desktop. What´s the use of buying an OCed GPU when you have to underclock it to fix the problem mentioned above? Certainly a lesson painfully learned.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

74. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 04:41 Dev

Krovven wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 04:37:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any of the following things considering how much people pan other games for the same things.

No volumetric smoke (they are static 2d animated sprites and desaturates the colour to make it look like you are in smoke even though there is no smoke), no dynamic lighting, no physics (objects are fixed, dont break or move), mirrors are grey slabs with no reflection. Breaking glass is pathetic, no cracks, no bullet holes, the whole pane just disappears into a few grey particles that instantly fade away.

Considering this is using the U3 engine that can handle all of these things...kinda sad.

73. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 04:37 Krovven

The Art Direction and presentation saves the games graphics.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any of the following things considering how much people pan other games for the same things.

No volumetric smoke (they are static 2d animated sprites and desaturates the colour to make it look like you are in smoke even though there is no smoke), no dynamic lighting, no physics (objects are fixed, dont break or move), mirrors are grey slabs with no reflection. Breaking glass is pathetic, no cracks, no bullet holes, the whole pane just disappears into a few grey particles that instantly fade away.

Considering this is using the U3 engine that can handle all of these things...kinda sad.

Fion covered most of the things wrong with gameplay. A couple things I'll add is that you can no longer loot individual items from containers. It's loot all or none. And the melee executions are awesome...but doing so often sends the body flying over the edge that is out of your control and you don't get to loot.

72. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 03:27 Dev

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 02:04:
Enjoying the game but this has the dumbest save system I've ever seen. I just exited and it tells me it hasn't saved in 15 minutes so I lose everything during that time.
I agree its quite dumb. But it DOES tell you the time at which it last autosaved when you quit. So check that time against your phone or windows (or use SHIFT TAB to bring up steam interface). And yes, its ALSO dumb that it doesn't show you the minutes played since last saved instead of the current time. Current time is rather meaningless, the meaningful question is how much gameplay time will you lose.

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 20:46:
(though I do recommend using a calculator such as http://anno2070.atspace.eu/ ).
Dude, that thing is awesome, thanks

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2013, 04:03.

71. Re: psychomoggiebagpuss@hotmail.com Mar 27, 2013, 02:08 Creston

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 20:46:
You don't finish Anno. You do the tutorials/deeper ocean missions and then you have fun in the continuous game!

I should have probably said "Until I get tired of the people in Anno whining at me that they want Yet More Crap."

(though I do recommend using a calculator such as http://anno2070.atspace.eu/ ).

Cool, thanks!

If you're going to wait for the sales though try and avoid any spoilers or indepth reviews.

I'm not reading any reviews, and most people at Blues are pretty good at not revealing (much of) anything.

Creston

70. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 02:04 NegaDeath

Enjoying the game but this has the dumbest save system I've ever seen. I just exited and it tells me it hasn't saved in 15 minutes so I lose everything during that time.  

69. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 00:56 Sepharo

Alamar wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 22:53:

Whaaa, now I see this?

68. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 00:17 Fion

Sepharo wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:28
uick someone find something wrong (other than lack of quicksave) and stop me from spending 60 bucks! [/quote:

You asked for it. I have one major problem with the game, design wise. The whole tonics/weapons system seems to have been dumbed down. One thing I truly enjoyed about the original was the sheer variety of customization there was. Augments for weapons, several ammo types per weapon, interchangeable tonics that you could really alter gameplay with, you name it.

With Infinate, you basically have static tonics and 4 item 'slots' with items you can put in them to customize your char a little, adding damage here, defense there, boosting weapons or powers. It's a far cry from the original, and I don't think I'll replay it any time soon because there doesn't really seem to be a reason, other than taking different story choices (that don't seem to matter at all). Mind, I haven't beat the game but I figure if I'm 6 hours in and there isn't any real customization, there isn't going to be any.

Thankfully I am really enjoying the story, the setting, the combat in general is well done. The new tonics are fun to use, though the weapons are beyond generic which is a huge change from Bioshocks awesome customizable weapons. But the lack of customization brings my score from a possible 9 to an 8 or so. Best game of the year so far, but IMHO there were a dozen games last year just as good or better.

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 22:53 Alamar

-Alamar

66. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 21:29 nin

Btw is there an FOV slider?

There is, but naturally folks want more...I cranked it to the far right and don't notice much of a problem.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

65. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 21:28 Sepharo

Quick someone find something wrong (other than lack of quicksave) and stop me from spending 60 bucks!  

64. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 21:24 Riker

Krizzen wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:08:
BAHAHAHA! Pass! I'll just watch this one on YouTube!

That sounds like a lot of fun. Why didn't I think of that?

103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo