Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Try to Play all games on hardest level allowable Mar 26, 2013, 21:32 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 17:18:
*DING

I am not going on a sight seeing mission - I want it to be challenging - even though I don't have the twitch anymore, I still enjoy dyin and tryin.

Far Cry 3, even on the harder setetings was a joke. I just did side stuff until I was invincible.

Well, not all of us can get professional training shooting stuff.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2013, 18:59 Tom

I think it's good for games to be hard, as long as they're not hard in a stupid, unfair way. STALKER, DCS, and Kerbal Space Program are probably good examples of games that are fairly hard for good reasons. It's satisfying to overcome challenges. It adds to the experience and helps define what the game is.

If it's too easy to get through the game and you're never in danger of failing, it doesn't seem like you'd get as much out of it. But I can understand doing it that way if you really just want the story and the gameplay mechanics aren't that appealing. Certainly gameplay mechanics aren't what they used to be, in most cases. But at that point you're basically admitting the game is crap, and then playing through it anyway. Which I'm sure we've all done many times by now...

9. Re: Try to Play all games on hardest level allowable Mar 26, 2013, 17:18 xXBatmanXx

FU wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 13:51:
Played on hard and died. Said wow, a challenge . Played smarter, Used my environment better and powered through. The sense of accomplishment i get from getting past a tough part in a game still brings me enjoyment . That enjoyment stems from jepoardy. Seems like alot of deveoplers got away, or forgot what jeopardy brings to the table. But recently developers are getting back to RISK! And I"m glad. from what I see, a lot of the top developers right now are about my age and grew up in the Nintendo days, where if u weren't good enough your game was over. Playing a game on easy brings me no satisfaction whatsoever

*DING

I am not going on a sight seeing mission - I want it to be challenging - even though I don't have the twitch anymore, I still enjoy dyin and tryin.

Far Cry 3, even on the harder setetings was a joke. I just did side stuff until I was invincible.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2013, 14:13 Verno

Normal on Bioshock Infinite is so easy that you will likely never die. Hard is the only way to play it IMHO. You can be challenged and still see the sights, appreciate the story and not be dealing with frustration. Harder difficulties don't automatically mean frustration, that's only in poorly designed games or where the player refuses to change their approach to situations. You can see this a lot in livestreams when the broadcaster is swearing and pounding his desk because he keeps running into a problem and trying to solve it the same way despite earlier failures.

Anyways Bioshock Infinite is not a frustrating experience on Hard and I would recommend anyone with FPS experience play it that way.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

7. Try to Play all games on hardest level allowable Mar 26, 2013, 13:51 FU

Played on hard and died. Said wow, a challenge . Played smarter, Used my environment better and powered through. The sense of accomplishment i get from getting past a tough part in a game still brings me enjoyment . That enjoyment stems from jepoardy. Seems like alot of deveoplers got away, or forgot what jeopardy brings to the table. But recently developers are getting back to RISK! And I"m glad. from what I see, a lot of the top developers right now are about my age and grew up in the Nintendo days, where if u weren't good enough your game was over. Playing a game on easy brings me no satisfaction whatsoever

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2013, 14:46.

6. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2013, 13:18 Creston

Hard vs Easy... For me it really depends on the game. If it's a game where there is a progression towards really achieving something, I tend to turn it to hard or activate restrictions, if possible, to make it more difficult, so that the achievement really feels like it meant something.

For example, I'm one of the people that grinded through the hardest difficulty on X2 (which starts you off with a ship with nothing in it, 5 tons of cargo space, and 50 credits), and suffered through the 30-40 minute flight times (since I had no time dilation device) between sectors and stations because once I finally built up my empire, it really felt cool to know that I began with nothing.

Also, with Anno 2070, on my way to building my ultimate Eden megalopolis, I deliberately started with 10K credits, then built/sold for loss enough times to get my money down to 1000 credits, and built from there. It just felt more cool that way. (to me anyway.)

However, if it's a game where there's no sense of achievement, and all I'm doing is playing it for the story, or just because I want to play through it once so I can scratch it off my list, then I'll just start it on normal. Dragon Age 2 was a good example. A lot of people said that Nightmare was a real challenge, and about the only way to make the combats "fun."

I sat through about three battles where invisible, teleporting rogues slaughtered my mages without me being able to do anything about it, and I dropped the combat back to normal, and every time a battle happened, I just sat for a few minutes, watched my guys slaughter everything on screen without too much difficulty, then continued the story.

And as for what that does to your "gamer cred", what the fuck ever.

Creston

5. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2013, 10:08 Beamer

I wish I'd played Heavy Rain on Easy because the gameplay sucked, but typically I'll do Hard because it gives the gameplay mechanics time to shine. AI is dumbed down on Easy, making it less interesting. Things stand there and take one bullet to die.

I don't want to be frustrated, but I want to be challenged. Plenty of games don't even do that on Hard (looking at you, Dishonored and Saints Row 3.)

For BioShock, though? The whole respawn mechanic kills challenge, anyway. There was a point in one of the games, I think 2, where a Big Daddy kept killing me, and I had little ammo. Fortunately he was standing right outside the respawn tank. I could just shoot him, take out about 10% of his health before dying, then start again with barely any movement.

At that point the game loses challenge, anyway. Yeah, sure, you get to see better AI and have to be more creative in your fighting (the latter part is really the key, as you can't just use the same attack repetitively), but I agree with everyone that claims BioShock got tedious towards the end. I just wanted to see the end of the story, but I was tired of the gameplay. I think the respawn points taking away any and all challenge were responsible for that. At that point I probably should have gone down to easy as the challenge was gone and there was nothing new to see other than plot.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2013, 09:48 Verno

Capella wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 09:42:
Tried it on hard last night and got shredded. Guess I am getting too old to play. Especially at midnight!

I found that you get roasted until you get a shield a little bit into the game then it's not as difficult.

3. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2013, 09:48 nin

Capella wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 09:42:
Tried it on hard last night and got shredded. Guess I am getting too old to play. Especially at midnight!

I identified with the easy article, and almost always play on easy. I'm there for the story and entertainment, and not to have to redo a section over and over...DX:HR's lowest setting even described it as (paraphrased) "you're here for the story", and I was like "exactly!"

Also, at 38, I'll openly admit I don't have the twitch reflexes I had at 11, playing Zelda...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2013, 09:42 Capella

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

1. Re: etc. Mar 26, 2013, 09:19 Verno

Anyone familiar with an FPS game in the slightest should play on Hard. The resurrection mechanic makes it a bit of a joke either way but at least the regular gameplay will be challenging.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo