Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare's New IP

PC Gamer has comments from BioWare's Casey Hudson at PAX East, where he spoke of the future of the Mass Effect series and also revealed plans for an entirely new fictional universe they are creating for a new game series. He spoke of the "new way for you to explore the whole universe in Mass Effect" being worked on at BioWare Montreal for the next installment in that franchise. As for Mass Effect originators BioWare Edmonton, he explains they are working on the new series: "We are developing a whole new fictional universe at BioWare for myself and Preston [Watamaniuk, Mass Effect's lead designer]. That’s kind of our next thing," Hudson said. "We’re focusing on building something new the way we did at the very beginning on Mass Effect."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 17:30 Julio

Tumbler wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 13:49:
Maxis and Bioware are the Cory Haim and Cory Feldman of the game industry. Remember how great we were? Yeah, look at what we're making now! It's awesome!

*Feeling like a total dick now, what did the Cory's ever do to me? They're probably nice guys, they don't deserve this...

I'd suggest Bioware is the Cory that's dead.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 16:24 The Half Elf

Wonder if they could ever do a Mass Effect game with the Frostbite engine, as in the chest high walls you hide behind start getting chipped away and what not...  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 15:21 jdreyer

I hope they'll do something completely different with the setting. We've had plenty of both high fantasy and space opera lately, so a unique game world would pique my interest.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 14:37 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 08:41:
A new universe:

• Where you have one of two generic looking avatars to choose from

• Where every building, npc and item is a microtransaction DLC

• Where every moral choice is easily color coded for you

• Where every 3 foot tall wall is a fully covering, impenetrable bulwark from enemy fire

• Where, in a universe of infinite possibilities, there is only ever one possibility presented to you at any given time.

• Yep, really looking forward to your next "experience" EAWare.

Don't forget:
  • Where there's an gratuitous sex scene with a hot female regardless of avatar gender.
  •  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 14:12 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 09:05:

Died with Dragon Age, their last good game which just happens to coincide with EA purchase

I agree - thought that was their last good one as well.

Mass Effect 3 is really a great game. It may not be everyone's cup of tea (if you want a deep RPG, ME3 ain't it), but it's a terrific game, the ending crap notwithstanding. I just never understood why Bioware pretended that ME3 was a great game to enter the series with. So much in ME3 depends on the relationships and situations you've gone into with these characters in the previous two games, that to play ME3 without having played 2 and 1 would just be an empty, hollow experience.

Had Bioware been smart, they would have simply added copies of ME1 and ME2 in with ME3. Of course, that would have thrown a huge wrench in EA's desperate attempt to milk some more money out of the ME teat with the bundled edition.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the next ME, though I won't pre-order it and I'll wait for very positive word-of-mouth. As for DA3, I'll probably get that at $5 at some point, unless Leliana is the main star of the whole game.

Creston

16. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 14:02 Creston

new way for you to explore the whole universe in Mass Effect

As long as it doesn't involve planet scanning and having to gass up the bird every 10 seconds, it can only be an improvement.

As for their new universe... eh. :-shrug-:

Creston

15. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 13:49 Tumbler

Maxis and Bioware are the Cory Haim and Cory Feldman of the game industry. Remember how great we were? Yeah, look at what we're making now! It's awesome!

*Feeling like a total dick now, what did the Cory's ever do to me? They're probably nice guys, they don't deserve this...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
    Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 13:46 Ozmodan

Bioware is no longer Bioware, it is just the old EA with a Bioware skin. Hard to believe such a great shop can go down the tubes so fast.  

13. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 13:09 Burrito of Peace

PHJF wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 11:15:
    It's a shame because the lore was so very well done. I LOVED the Mass Effect codex.

I agree which is why the last bullet point pisses me off so much about how the games themselves handled that universe.

Still, a PnP RPG could rock in that universe.

12. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 11:15 PHJF

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 08:41:
    A new universe:

• Where every 3 foot tall wall is a fully covering, impenetrable bulwark from enemy fire

• Where, in a universe of infinite possibilities, there is only ever one possibility presented to you at any given time.

It's a shame because the lore was so very well done. I LOVED the Mass Effect codex.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Bioware Mar 25, 2013, 11:02 Tim Collins

Bioware is dead to me also, dragon age 2, sw:tor, mass effect 3...all they make is shit games now.  

10. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 10:10 wtf_man

How about another 300 million for a SW:TOR sequel, since the last one did so well.  

9. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 09:47 Omni

Bioware to ruin a new IP (Fixed)  

8. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 09:39 Silicon Avatar

I look to Obsidian for games now. Bioware and EA are synonymous to me these days.  

7. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 09:30 Signatus

Verno wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 09:00:
    I wouldn't say Bioware is dead to me yet but I hope they get away from the TP/RPG stuff, the gameplay is really clunky. If they want to make a competent shooter then do that, hire some people who know shooters and Frostbite.

I'm more worried about EA sticking their nose to monetize things and fucking it up.

I would rather see them get back to proper RPGs instead of trying to mesh it into a FPS/RPG/FMV game.

At least we have Obsidian and the new batch of RPG makers working independently.

6. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 09:05 nin

Died with Dragon Age, their last good game which just happens to coincide with EA purchase

I agree - thought that was their last good one as well.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 09:00 Verno

I wouldn't say Bioware is dead to me yet but I hope they get away from the TP/RPG stuff, the gameplay is really clunky. If they want to make a competent shooter then do that, hire some people who know shooters and Frostbite.

I'm more worried about EA sticking their nose to monetize things and fucking it up.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
    Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

4. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 09:00 Denthor

nin wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 08:44:
    Bioware is dead to me.

Oh well, where one dies another is born -- CD Projekt Red - Witcher series and cyberpunk also looking forward to Wasteland 2 and Eternity.

3. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 08:44 nin

Bioware is dead to me.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 08:41 Burrito of Peace

A new universe:

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo