Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

Link of the Day: Intelís Pentium launched 20 years ago today. Thanks nin via Slashdot.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 23, 2013, 13:31 HorrorScope

Remember Y2K? It's already 13 friggin years ago!! I'm basically in the grave as I type. Basically this unit didn't accomplish all that much special, but it did bring joy to a fair number of people.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Into the Black Mar 23, 2013, 11:56 InBlack

nin wrote on Mar 23, 2013, 02:57:
I remember scraping together the money to buy a 486/66 just to play Duke Nukem 3d, and then the moment I got a look at Quake (required a P75?), realizing another upgrade was in store.

So many awesome memories of gaming in the 90s...voodoo rush to voodoo2, seeing glquake and then Unreal run for the first time (jaw dropping, in both cases). Everyone coming up with patches that added glide support. Walking into computer city and seeing the huge stack of Starcraft boxes. That wacky assed spaceorb.

Gaming felt different back then...less of a focus on the megapublisher and their latest hit, and more of trying to actually make a decent game that pushed the limits of hardware.

Was fun while it lasted.

Exactly. Holy shit 20 years ago....damn Im getting old....

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Into the Black Mar 23, 2013, 10:37 Ant

o/~ it's all about Pentiums o/~ --Weird Al

Man, I had P90 (Prostar 5200 -- crap) and P150 MMX lappies. I just got rid/donate my dbanned Compaq Armada 1585DMT lappy!! :O

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2013, 12:08.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

6. Re: Into the Black Mar 23, 2013, 09:30 mazling

So many awesome memories of gaming in the 90s...voodoo rush to voodoo2, seeing glquake and then Unreal run for the first time (jaw dropping, in both cases).

The castle flyby of Unreal's main menu was the very first thing I saw running hardware accelerated, at 800x600 or maybe even 1024x768! To this day, the music sends shivers up my spine.

5. Re: Into the Black Mar 23, 2013, 05:25 El Pit

Pentium? Modern, overpowered bs! A 286 SX is where it's at!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

4. Re: Into the Black Mar 23, 2013, 03:11 Hoop

I remember scraping together the money to buy a 486/66 just to play Duke Nukem 3d, and then the moment I got a look at Quake (required a P75?), realizing another upgrade was in store.

So many awesome memories of gaming in the 90s...voodoo rush to voodoo2, seeing glquake and then Unreal run for the first time (jaw dropping, in both cases). Everyone coming up with patches that added glide support. Walking into computer city and seeing the huge stack of Starcraft boxes. That wacky assed spaceorb.

Gaming felt different back then...less of a focus on the megapublisher and their latest hit, and more of trying to actually make a decent game that pushed the limits of hardware.

Was fun while it lasted.

Seconded

Um .. Behind you...

3. Re: Into the Black Mar 23, 2013, 02:57 nin

Was fun while it lasted.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Into the Black Mar 22, 2013, 23:05 LittleMe

IIRC the p60/66's were underwhelming but the p90's were a different story. I was lucky enough to play with the latter from a mortgage company client that I somehow convinced to cough up the $3000+ for one with a whopping 1GB SCSI HDD (1994). Computer Shopper to the rescue.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

1. Re: Into the Black Mar 22, 2013, 22:18 Cutter

Remember this Intel commercial?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo